Settings from consult @ Boston Clinic +

I went in for my underarms. They said they’d do about 220 shots for my underarm. Pulse width- they said is auto… Joules- they did 20 on me today and said they’d do 22 in my treatment probably and after each session following that, they’d increase it a bit.

I am type 1- Irish skin that sometimes burns. My hair is quite dark. They’d use Lightsheer on me.

Try a couple of other places for a second and third opinion. You will be glad you did. You will be surprised at the differences you will get to the same questions asked at each place.

When I go to a doctor I never ask why he uses a particular instrument as opposed to another or what settings he uses. In surgery you are asleep and NEVER know what is happening. He does what his experience and training is based on. If your operator knows what he/she is doing and they have a license with proper training you still “pays your nickel and takes your chances”. It is amazing to me to see how many patients contact this forum and check on things that are of no consequence to the procedure. It is NOT the machine that does the job. It is the expert holding the laser wand. He/she is supposed yo know. That is why you go there.

Try an area that is not visible when you are dressed (as a sample).
Count the “shots” (as you called them) and make the “experts” stick to their statements. They maintain they know.

In framingham, this week, it was reported a woman went to a “MEDICAL SPA” downtown for a breast augmentation. That is major surgery. She was released after surgery and fell in her bathroom hit her head and DIED. This is a procedure to be done in a hospital not a spa.
What is a MEDICAL SPA? Does anybody know? Did the doctor who did it lose his privileges at the hospital? Was it done just to save her a few bucks?

A common anaesthetic used is pentothol. This can be administered slowly under the control of the doc, however, it puts you to sleep and then goes to the fat where it is stored. Later it is released by the fat and keeps you in a “sort of anaesthesia” all over again as it goes to the liver to be detoxified before it is excreted. The rate of administration is controlled but the rate of release by the fat is NOT controlled. That is one reason why they have a “recovery” room. To allow you to recover, to a degree, before sending you up to a room. The doc knows better. He was interested in a buck and let that over ride his thinking.

I’ve worked in plastic surgeon’s offices for years. When a surgeon gets involved in the “medical spa” market (basically doing cosmetology-type procedures), it signals to me “he’s not the best surgeon.”

The guys that do great surgery don’t need the extra income. Those with less-than-perfect skills are less busy, and are therefore doing lots of procedures that (mostly) don’t do much … but do generate “easy money.”

Not nice to say this, but this has been my experience. (Same for dermatologists too.) Lefty is right: always check to see that the doctor has "hospital privileges.” If they don’t, there is a good reason for it. Many docs have full accredited operating rooms and there is little risk to the patient. Still, having “hospital privileges” are important.

Both of you sound nuts- it is common for people to have consultations and post this info on the board as some of the top contributors like to give feedback about whether or not they think the settings sound right.

If you don’t believe me, check my posts and how others responded…

Emily, yes, it is just fine to tell about the details of your treatment. With the LightSheer, just make sure they are using compression. I believe the LightSheer can go up to 40 joules. You are doing as I would do if I had any underarm hair left to treat.

Emily, ignore the naysayers. Some electrologists who know little about LHR for some reason choose to weigh in on these things here. Why not stick to things you’re familiar with?

Either way, those settings on LightSheer are a bit low. Are they using the 9mm or the 12mm device? 20J is low, but can be ok on 12mm, but definitely too low on 9mm for a type I.