Sensing the bottom of the follicle with probe

I’m surprised not to hear experienced electrologists mention about sensing/feeling when the probe touches the bottom of the follicle. I’d just presumed this is possible and becomes second nature over time.

Rather instead I hear mention of measuring the length of an anagen hair (with the probe) - and then using this as a guide. And also, that experience teaches how deep a follicle is from the look of the hair. However, both these are a different process to directly sensing the probe pressing against the bottom of the follicle (regardless of the depth of the follicle).

Also, it’s common to see images in instruction manuals showing a probe having (incorrectly) pierced the base of a follicle and extended beyond it. This seems surprising as well, given tissues tend to remarkably strong - in conjunction with several needle manufactures describing their probes as featuring smooth rounded ends/points.

Is it not possible to learn to ‘feel’ through the probe, when it touches the base of the follicle?

I have high powered magnification where I see my probes go beyond the bulb easily with no pain. If follicle have bottoms, how come I’m not feeling any pain from supposedly piercing it if I go beyond the bulb itself?

1 Like

I am guessing because even if the probes have smooth or rounded ends, that because they are so thin (relative to even a 30g injection needle) that they can pierce tissue quite easily. Especially if the ‘membrane’ at the bottom is very thin and delicate.

When you mention that due to high magnification, you can ‘see my probes go beyond the bulb easily with no pain’. Are you meaning that you can ‘see’ through the skin somewhat (because of it being translucent as such magnification)?

For reference, what magnification (and type) are you using, please.

Can I just ask here about treating the lip area (diy, One Touch) I removed a few hairs using the One Touch but probe didn’t seem to go into the folical, I just let it rest on the area for a few seconds, maybe 10 seconds, and the lye bubbled out, I tried to poke it into the pore but it just kept bending so I left it on the surface of the skin and the hair slid out when I tweezed…
So,does the lip area not need as deep a probe as the chin area?

The One Touch tip/probe/needle is too large to fit into an average upper lip hair follicle opening.

As for teaching the sensing of the inside of the follicle and how to feel the base, it was one of the hardest things for me to teach my students.

1 Like

Hi fenix, kindly tell me the kind of the magnify that you are using as i am having a hard time of finding my way to the hair follicle.

On telogen hairs, I’m finding the same, though only realising afterwards (there is so little resistance to feel). However, I only have Ballet one piece probes (two piece pro-tec are on order). Did you find a way of better sensing the follicle bottom, and do you feel that two piece probes will help me in this regard.

In general, these are very fine leg hairs which I am experiencing this with, and am needing to use F2 needles. In contrast, the anagen hairs are quite deeply rooted and I am not going beyond the bulb.

2 Likes

I tried with the F2 two piece Pro-tec probes, and is much easier for me (at the stage I am at) for entering the follicles. Surprising how different the F2 Ballet one-piece and the Pro-tech two-piece probes are, in terms of rigidity.