Self-administered laser

From posts on this site and ambiguous research findings, it seems that claims as to the long-term hair removal/reduction effects of laser treatment are contentious. I was therefore interested to note the following article abstract, available online at

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12866118&dopt=Abstract

which suggested that patients may be able to successfully self-administer a low energy, small light based system for hair removal. Admittedly, I have not read the full article. It seems to me that an affordable, safe and effective self-administered laser instrument would be a viable solution to many hair problems. Even if you would need to use laser every couple of weeks as maintenance (accepting that permanent hair removal may not be possible from such a device), this would still be a hell of a lot better than waxing or paying for professional laser.

My questions are these:

1. Does anyone know additional info about the progress of self-administered, low-grade laser devices?
  2. What’s holding back their availability on the market? Is it for technological reasons, health reasons or economic reasons (or a mixture of these, or some other reason?)