Selectif Pro - Applisonix

I know where the device is made and the celsius matter has already been defined by dee.oz, but thanks anyway. On a promotional video, they were less precise and said 70 degrees.

dee.oz, I will get back to answering your questions sometime today when I have a chance.

You do have more hair than you can see at any on time because it grows in cycles, thank God! We would look like animals if our hair didn’t grow and shed at different time intervals. Glad you read that Hair Growth thread. James did an excellent job explaining all that.

How often should one get electrolysis done? My strategy is to get all bothersome hair asap. Subsequent appointments correspond to when the next group of hairs come forward in about 2-3 weeks in the beginning months. In the remaining months, your appointments should stretch out to every 4-6 weeks until the end comes. I have observed that most of my ladies with facial hair are 90% “finished” in about 9-12 months. From month 12 to month 18 or so, we are getting scattered pockets of hair along with some single hairs. I encourage long appointments up front. I like an aggressive plan because people need relief. My equipment and set up allows me to work longer on people. I don’t know what your current electrologist’s strategy is or what her set up and training is like. We all have our own plan of attack. Electrolysis works only if the electrologist is an skilled expert. You are getting electrolysis every two weeks. Do you get cleared each and every time? How long are you on the table? (Sorry if you already answered this).

Be patient. I know you have been, but with your case, 8 years of patience denotes to me that something is out of line. A good electrologist loses her client in 9 - 18 months. For some complicated cases, it may take as long as 24 months. for those that want a ton of peach fuzz treated, perhaps 36 months?

Waxing your lip? Why? Just let the ultrasonic device get those hairs. It needs the hair as a guide, so why would you rip the hair out? Ask your technician this question. You will not be finished in 6-8 treatments with this device, but follow the protocol as suggested for comparison purposes.

Waxing for a woman’s face is not encouraged. Waxing repeatedly can cause hair to grow stronger over time. It is commonly thought, that disturbing the fine blond hairs that are normal and good, can cause them to change over time to unsightly hairs. Spironolactone is an androgen blocker. It is risky to take if you are in your child bearing years. It helps some?/most? people. I hear differing feedback on this. If you had good electrologist care, you wouldn’t have to do or ingest anything if you were going to your appointments for a 9-18 months to get cleared every time by keeping the schedule going until your hair problem was under control. I would be desperate to try any gadget if there were iffy electrologists in my my locale. I understand your hopeful side with the Applisonix with Impressa technology.

Keep reporting on the Applisonix. I am still cool to this product because I don’t understand how a hair can be a medium for conducting enough energy to the tissue that grows hair thus, killing or stunning the hair. Even if the energy is 70 degrees celsius, it is not 70 degrees celsius by the time it gets to the bottom of the follicle. Hair is not a conductor. Hair protein (keratin) lacks the atomic properties to act as a semiconductor. Is there any gels or salt solutions used with this device? Any scientists or physics experts out there that want to check in here and help out? This doesn’t make sense to me, but I’m reasoning that the folks in Israel are innovaters, not scam artists. What am I missing here? Can you post some specifications for this device? Clinical trial? Whatever?

Thanks everybody and be well!

Dee

It works on sound waves, it suppose to vibrate the hair so it transfers heat to the bottom.
When they showed me the machine they had a test for it to see that it actually does something.
He had some pin and a pin head and while zapping the pin, the pin head changed color.

That’s the way i understand it at least.
I was told that they already have a prototype for doing the treatment on more than 1 hair at a time, no idea how that is going to work.

With regard to electrolysis every 2 weeks, only a few hairs are treated, I have millions so I reckon i would need to be on her table a few days in order for her to do a full clearance… she goes for the longer ones… id be surprised if she got a hundred done in one session (30mins) - I must ask next time…this electrolygist has also got the applisonix in now (just since this week)… so im going to try my lip with her and stay with mckinley for the rest of my face (they are much much cheaper) and by letting the other clinic (brunswick) do my lip i will be able to see if there is any difference in operator use and with waxing (she really strongly suggesting i wax)… I would expect the clinic in brunswick to be better (seems more professional, i think)… I have to admit though the hairs do not glide out easily as described on this forum, i can feel some of them been plucked… I have been to a few electrolygists over the years and have never really felt in any session that the hairs glided out without a plucking sensation… Close friends have said i should just wax - there is too much hair,my husband is encouraging me not to for the fear that they get worse… they have progressively got worse after each pregnancy and as i get older… I have blood tests done but they show up nothing yet the spironolactone works wonders on my skin, when i come off it, my skin starts getting all oily so much to the stage that i do have to blot it and then the acne starts… to me it seems like it all hormone related but drs, dermatologists and endocrinologists have all found normal bloods tests…I find it all frustrating and the only way i can feel positive about it is by trying to do something about it… I pray to God this selectif pro works for me, it seems to be working for an awful lot of other people out there, unless there are a lot of scam artists posting on forums like this and others… I have kept in contact with samathajane through private posts also and it is working a treat for her,she cant recommend it enough… Bridgetbee seems to be at the same stage in treatments as me, so we will just have to wait and see how it goes, i guess… As stated earlier i have had 6 treatmetns to date (3 on each side of my face, so i guess it early days yet)… i have waxed my upper lip now so i am going to do my upper by the exact conditions set out he selectif pro manual…I found the manual through google and have it saved to my desktop in my selectif pro folder but now no longer have the link (I have tried to do more research for this than I ever remember doing for any thing in uni) - i wil posts up links to some sites i have in the next post…However one can only do research as good as the info that is out there…
Dfahey the clinical trial results look a bit rubbishy - i only understand that now after reading about the hair cycles as the data is only recorded for 60 days after treatment, so im a bit sceptical about that now… i contacted the australian distributor for more data (he based in sydney - Joel Marshall) but havnt received anything to date… he gave me some advice/tips on how the treatments should be and said that really i should wax, but i am very apprehensive about waxing my face (my upper lip doesnt bother me because i find getting electrolysis done on this area excrutiating)and besides i waxed this area a few years ago for a long time (hope that hasnt led to it getting worse!!)… so far i am somewhat happy with my selectif pro treatments in that the long long hairs do not seem to be returning and i realise this may only be about 20/30 hairs but they are the obvious ones… unfortunaltely that is a drop in the ocean to whats left but it makes me feel better about looking in the mirror (well in sunlight anyway)…I would also like to state though tha the 38% reduction they say ont he website - I definetly have not found this… also dfahey thank you for pointing out that you should not take spironolactone if you are pregnant/planning to get pregnant in the near future (im really sorry i should have pointed this out in the forum when i said this) - it can be very dangerous for the baby (especially if its a boy… you should really be off it for about 6mths before trying to conceive… i do not plan on having any more kids (the 2 I have are enough for me!! they are beautiful lovely children)… I would like to get off spironolactone though sometime int he future, I dont really want to spend the rest of my life on it… anyway i thank you all for your information, i am so glad i found this webiste and i cant get over how you take so much time out of your lifes to help other people like the way you do… i know it takes a while to write these posts… dfahey i thank you so much for all your information and help, and if anyone else out there knows anything about the selectif pro, please post this up… thank you all x

From the Selectif Pro manual:-
Specifications
Parameter Value/Data
Conformity to rules
IEC/EN60601-1: 1990/A1: 1993/A2: 1995 Standard 7-Power
Input; 15-Voltage limitation (Part1); 18- Earthing; 19- Leakage
Currents, 20- Dielectric Strength, 36-Radiated and Conducted
Emissions. IEC/EN60601-2-1
Main voltage 100-230 Volt, 50-60Hz, max 1 A
Mode of operation Ultrasound (sine wave)
Rated output power 12 W ±10%
Output frequency 100KHz -1 MHz ±5% Automatic selection
Pulse duration 0.5 – 2.3 sec
Weight
Main Unit < 5 Kg.
Probe < 150 gr.
Dimensions
Main Unit - 320x180x250 mm
Probe -150x30x20 mm

General Overview
Selectif™ pro is the industry’s first clinically proven ultrasound-based hair removal device. Powered by
IMPRESA™ Technology, Selectif™ pro is the next generation of long term hair removal devices.
IMPRESA’s ultrasound waves are channeled through the hair shaft. In the process, they transform to
thermal energy that superheats hair growth areas and inhibits re-growth.
IMPRESA’s ultrasound wave traveling through the hair shaft results in a very small dissipation of
ultrasound wave into the skin. This pinpoint precision enables treatment of highly sensitive areas like
eyebrows or the upper lip and bikini without side effects. IMPRESA™ technology is independent of hair
color and skin tone.
When the System Arrives
As the box is unpacked, please check the content of the box against the item listed in page 7. If the
content is incomplete, or damaged, please do not use the device and notify your local authorized
distributer immediately. Make sure the electrical plug is compatible to socket used in your country.
Do not use if any part of the package/content is damaged!
Main Components of Selectif™ pro:
Selectif™ pro is composed of a Main Unit and a probe.

1. Main Unit – a desk mounted appliance, which generates the signal required to activate the probe.
    It comprises of power supply, command and control units, user interface, as well as interfaces to
    standard external sources of power and to the probe.
  2. Probe – houses the hair gripping mechanism, the acoustic element and user interface (activation
    buttons). Its function is to apply the acoustic energy into the treated hair.

CLINICAL STUDY:-
Applisonix Technology
Clinical Study
Overview
The study included Thirty Six (36) subjects of ages 18 – 60. Men and women, skin type 1-5,
hair color varied from black, through blond & red, to white. The treatment area was one (1)
square centimeter, and was compared to adjacent non-treated (control) area of similar size.
Pictures were taken, and hair was counted in both areas, before the treatment (time 0), as well
as in two follow-up sessions: 30, and 60 days after treatment.
Analysis & Review

1. Dr. Marina Landau, Senior Dermatologist - the study Principle Investigator (PI).
  2. Zmira Silman, an independent bio-statistician, performed the Statistical Analysis.
  3. Prof. Daniel Cassuto, Milan Italy, an independent, Senior, top-class Plastic Surgeon,
    Reviewed and analyzed the study results.
    Results
  4. 30 days after treatment the hair reduction was 39% vs. 8% reduction at the control area.
  5. 60 days after treatment the hair reduction was 38% vs. 8% reduction at the control area.
  6. The results were of high statistical significance.
  7. There were No adverse reactions.
    Clinical Study Results – Hair Reduction in %
    Conclusions
    From substantial clinical experience, it becomes apparent that in the ideal subject with fair skin
    and dark hair, a single treatment of Light Based device can reduce hair by 10–40%1;
    Applisonix’ Ultrasound based Technology, has proven to achieve similar (38%) and even
    better results, while using safer, painless, and affordable device. Not only this, but with the
    ability to treat all skin and hair colors, as well as applying the treatment on sensitive body
    areas (e.g. eyebrows, upper-lip, etc.).
    Confidential
    Applisonix Ltd. �� 3 Pekeris St., Park Tamar, Rehovot 76702, Israel �� Tel 972.8.9363604 �� Fax 972.8.9363614
    Before Treatment After 30 Days
    -50%
    -68%
    -54%

STILL PART OF THE CLINICAL STUDY:-
Reviewer’s Testimonial - Excerpts2
Daniel Cassuto, MD., Professor of Plastic Surgery - University of Catania, Italy.
Prof. Cassuto has over 17 years of experience in providing aesthetic treatments including hair
removal.
“I confirm that based on my review and analysis of the materials study and tests
results … the device has achieved 38% hair reduction after the first
treatment. … these results compare favorably to the best results which were
achieved by optical energy powered commercial systems … with no side
effects to the subjects. … The results are independent of the color of the treated
hair and skin. “
Marina Landau, MD., Dermatology and Cosmetic Dermatology.
Dr. Landau is a Senior Dermatologist, Dermatology unit, Edith Wolfson Medical Center, Holon,
Israel.
“Reduction in hair growth of 39% was found in the treated on day 30 vs
untreated area, in which the reduction was only 8%. Reduction did not differ after
60 days … None of the patients developed permanent or long lasing side
effect. … In summary, ultrasound technology seems to be effective and safe
for hair removal. “
Ariel Margulis, MD and M.Sc in the field of Morphology and Histology, Clinical Manager at
Applisonix.
“I confirm that based on my review and analysis … on the aforesaid 36 subjects,
and to my expert opinion, the device has achieved 38% hair reduction after
the first treatment. “
2 Full reports are attached as addendum.
Confidential
Applisonix

Study summary and conclusion
I hereby declare that I, Dr. Margulis Ariel, am a medical doctor (MD) and M.Sc in the field
of morphology and histology and that I have B yearso f experiencein providing histological
evaluation analysis.
I herebyp rovide my professionaol pinion concerningt he effectivenesosf the company’s
Prototype (ultrasound based hair removal device) treatment on 36 subjects, as follows:
36 subjects were treated with an lJltrasound Device according to planned scheme (refer to
the trearment zone clause protocol number APX-01). Photographs of the pre and post
rreatmenta reaw ere taken, after asw ell asa t follow-up periods.A 1l subjectsw ere included in
the experiment under consideration of the inclusion and exclusion (protocol APX-O 1)
Study Objectives were to observe the clinical effect of the device, evaluate procedure duration
and assesssu bjecta nd operatorf eedback.
The resultsa nd conclusionw ere analyzeds tatistically6 y Zmira Silman- Biostatistics.

1. Study methodology;i nclusion/e xclusionc riteria;h air countingp rocedurea, ll met
    with the acceptablep rerequisite.
  2. There are no significantd ifferencesb, etweent reateda reas,in hair count prior to
    treatment, therefore grouPs are comparable.
  3. Comparison of Area D ( rwo treatment) to area C (control- no treatment) shows
    that after 30 days, there is a hair reduction of 39o/o vs. B7o at the control area and
    that hair reduction did not differ after 60 days, 3\o/o vs. hair growth of Bo/o at the
    conrrol area.]
  4. Statisticala nalysiss howst hat treatment D is significantlyb etter than control
    (p<0.001).
  5. No adverser eacrionsw ere reporredd uring the treatmentsa nd the follow-up study.
    I confirm that basedo n my review and analysiso f the materialss tudy and testsr esultso n the
    aforesaid3 6 subjects,a nd to my expert opinion, the deviceh asa chieved3 \o/o hair reduction
    after the first treatment.
    MargulisA riel

NOT SURE WHY MISSING SOME LETTERS/WORDS WHEN COPYING ACROSS… SORRY…

http://www.laser-hairremoval.com.au/page/applisonixs_selectif.html

http://www.applisonix.com/list.aspx?id=326

SOME OTHER PLACES I FOUND SOME INFO BUT THESE ARE THE MAIN ONES

www.ultrasoundhairremoval.ie

WITH REGARD TO THE CLINICAL STUDY THERE ARE MORE REVIEWS BY OTHER DOCTORS ETC BUT I CANT COPY THEM ACROSS PROPERLY…THEY SEEM TO BE IN TABLES AND WONT PASTE ACROSS…

BUT HERE IS THE LINK:-

http://www.nimotech.at/files/clinical-Study-Description.pdf

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT AND INFORMATION…

How come they stopped that trial after 60 days?
Doesn’t really mean that it works, mean that it can disrupt the hair.

I have a friend in the business in Israel and when asked about this machine she said there are mixed reviews about it.

Let’s focus on the red font. Is a pin not a piece of metal? Metal conducts energy - hair does not. That’s my point about this product. I understand this is ultrasound, odi, and ultrasound has been used for many wonderful purposes over the years. For hair removal, it isn’t adding up. Again, I am always open to learning. Right now, I feel like I don’t know enough.

dee.oz, I need time to read all your information before I comment. Thanks for the information. I’ll get back to you.

Dee

Somehow i had a feeling you’ll say it’s metal :slight_smile:

My point is, in theory if you vibrate an object it doesn’t matter if it conducts energy or not. It’s like if you use the right sound wave you can break a glass.

Yup.

dee.oz, I’m still perusing the information. I’ll check back.

dee.oz (ireland): “With regard to electrolysis every 2 weeks, only a few hairs are treated, I have millions so I reckon i would need to be on her table a few days in order for her to do a full clearance… she goes for the longer ones… id be surprised if she got a hundred done in one session (30mins)”

[size:14pt]If you have a lot of peach fuzz, she should be thinning the hairs as you will not get a first, full clearance. She is choosing the longer, pigmented and non-pigmented hairs, which I would do the very same thing if you were on my table. A woman’s face has a lot of hair and the goal is not to get ALL the hairs, but rather to keep thinning the longer pigmented and non-pigmented hairs.[/size]

"this electrolygist has also got the applisonix in now (just since this week)… "

[size:14pt]She needs your business. New device that needs to be paid for. Any discount on her services being that she is a neophyte working on perhaps one of her first ultrasound clients?[/size]

"I have to admit though the hairs do not glide out easily as described on this forum, i can feel some of them been plucked… I have been to a few electrolygists over the years and have never really felt in any session that the hairs glided out without a plucking sensation… Close friends have said i should just wax - there is too much hair,my husband is encouraging me not to for the fear that they get worse… they have progressively got worse after each pregnancy and as i get older… I have blood tests done but they show up nothing yet the spironolactone works wonders on my skin, when i come off it, my skin starts getting all oily so much to the stage that i do have to blot it and then the acne starts… to me it seems like it all hormone related but drs, dermatologists and endocrinologists have all found normal bloods tests…I find it all frustrating and the only way i can feel positive about it is by trying to do something about it… "

[size:14pt]You can have normal blood work and still have hair and acne problem. You may be very vulnerable to any circulating male hormones in your body. You may have an inherited bacteria on your skin that causes acne???
[/size]

“I pray to God this selectif pro works for me, it seems to be working for an awful lot of other people out there, unless there are a lot of scam artists posting on forums like this and others… I have kept in contact with samathajane through private posts also and it is working a treat for her,she cant recommend it enough… Bridgetbee seems to be at the same stage in treatments as me, so we will just have to wait and see how it goes, i guess… As stated earlier i have had 6 treatmetns to date (3 on each side of my face, so i guess it early days yet)…”

[size:14pt] Doing nothing for 1 year after the prescribed Applisonix treatments is what the makers of this product fear. In fairness, the manufacturers do not say this is permanent hair removal, so they keep themselves in the safe zone. LONG TERM is their verbage. If you are expecting permanent hair removal, I would suggest lowering your expectations. If long term, as in 60 days, is good enough for you, I have no beef with this product.[/size]

“the clinical trial results look a bit rubbishy - i only understand that now after reading about the hair cycles as the data is only recorded for 60 days after treatment, so im a bit sceptical about that now…”

[size:14pt]You should be skeptical. Why didn’t they observe hair growth at the 6 month mark or the one year mark? They are doctors/scientists studying hair. They should know about hair growth cycles so why would they not take this farther? They stopped observing after 8 weeks when hair growth cycles can click in within the general window of 6-16 weeks? I suspect new hair was coming to the surface before 60 days because that is how hair works. They portend that didn’t happen. That is a red flag for sure in my mind.[/size]

“i contacted the australian distributor for more data (he based in sydney - Joel Marshall) but havnt received anything to date…”

[size:14pt]Did he promise to send you data? Maybe he thinks you are catching onto something that he doesn’t want you to know??? Oh, give him a chance to get back to you. Maybe he’s really, really, really, really, really busy.
[/size]

The studies are meaningless to me. Sixty days? Not helpful data. They ended the study too soon, however, I guess they should have if it is a LONG TERM hair removal system. The play on words is meant for consumers who are desperate. I believe you are desperate because you choose words like “pray” and “hope”. The testimonials on the one link you posted are very premature and yes, how do we know they were not written by invested interests?

I sincerely wish you the best. Just keep going forward and give it a heartfelt try. Keep your journal here. Other posters are depending on your honest feedback about this product. Thank you for your time, dee.oz.

Dee

Distributor got back to me - his response:

" think it is great that you are sharing your experience with others but I know these forums and there are often people from the manufacturers pretending to be clients on there. I could give you more statistical data however I think it is best if your information is raw and your own perception of the treatments and not official statistics. This way people will get honest feedback from a client who is receiving treatments.

I don’t think 60 days is long enough to give an extensive review of a hair removal system, however this system has been out in places like Ireland and Israel for more than a year and a half and it would seem everyone is very happy from those countries that have tried it and bought it. These are some of the things we looked at before deciding to distribute it here."

The email went on giving me advice on how the operator should be using it and things to look out for… He also said that getting 3 treatments (6 alltogether but 3 on each side of my face), not waxing and uisng the lowest setting - that he is not surprised that I have only got a 10% improvement. The hairs should only be about 3-4mm (or less)when getting treatment (mine are a fair bit longer)… He gave me his mobile number also if i wanted to talk more etc… He definetly seems interested and willing to help in anyway he can… He has retrained the operators who are treating me so is expecting my treatments to be more effective now…

I still dont want to wax my face incase it doesnt work and gets worse, but as i said earlier i am happy to wax my upper lip… actually that way it will be intersting to see if it really is essential to wax etc…

My husband today said that it doesnt look as bad (so thats reassuring a little, but still a long way to go - thank god the long hairs are gone)…

Dfahey to be really honest, yes I would be happy if it did work and was only considered long term - anything would be an improvement… Of course permanent removal would be sensational but to be really honest after doing electrolysis for 8 years and it just getting worse instead of better, i kinda thing i will never have permanent hair removal… Pity you wernt here in melbourne and you could prove me wrong… You seem to have an excellent reputation and seem very knowlegeable… I guess i feel a bit defeated after no improvement after 8 years of doing electrolysis, thats why im pinning all my hopes on this… ideally id like long term hair removal to mean id only have to get treatments every 6 months - that would be the ideal…

Anyway i guess i will just have to wait and see… if this doesnt work, hopefully some will come up with something someday (preferably you have one treatment and all gone for ever)…

Thank you all again for following my post and helping me out with info and replying to my posts - much appreciated…

The way i understand it, the sound waves are set in such a way that only if they are in a certain length the treatment will be effective. If the hair was longer then the wave wouldn’t be as effective. I know i was told that you suppose to trim the hair short before you zap it.

If I were closer to you, I would prove to you that electrolysis is permanent and you would much better off sooner than you could imagine. Good electrolysis care is what you need and it is a pity that you don’t have that option. This waxing recommendation is outrageous. I just don’t understand why they recommend waxing when the whole idea is to grasp individual hairs so as to send down ultrasonic waves to the hair growing tissue under the skin. How much are you paying per treatment (in dollars)? I will wager that you will be doing this the rest of your life, sorry to say.

The oldest and still the best way to kill any color and structure of hair is to insert a probe close to the area where the hair is nourished and heat up the tissue. This is accomplished by the art and science of electrology. Hair has always been a tough enemy. Systems come and go. Maybe someday there will be something cheap, painless and private, but so far, efforts are ongoing, so keep us posted about your efforts.

reply to dfaheys comment above: “I just don’t understand why they recommend waxing when the whole idea is to grasp individual hairs so as to send down ultrasonic waves to the hair growing tissue under the skin”.- they treat the hair first and then i wax after the treatment and then i wait for the next hairs to grow and then they get treated and then i wax after again etc etc… this is the way im meant to do it… i pay 60 dollars (for 30 mins) to mulgrave centre, think the brunswick centre going to be charging 75/80 dollars for 15mins… big difference between centres, the operator in brunswick is a trained electrolygist and in mulgrave - it a nurse etc

re:odi - yes thats correct, hair needs to be a certain length, however it my long hairs that havent returned but the mulgrave centre gave them lots of zaps for me…

next time i have my treatment, i am going to ask them to put full power on, i have been gettting the lowest level done so far… the distributor from sydney said it would be fine for me to go full level (3 lights)… - not having another treatment until next week so will keep you posted - thanks…