Seeking advice about hair removal

Hi all,
Firstly please excuse me if I am posting this question in the wrong section of the forum. I am after some advice about body hair removal.
I am a 39 year old male with lot of body hair on the stomach, chest, shoulders, back and arms. I am getting increasingly conscious about this as it seems to get thicker… to the extent I avoid swimming which I enjoy. Wearing singlets is out of the question. I am not in perfect shape (have a bit of a belly) but I am working on it. I am not scared of waxing, but I am not sure if I will be comfortable getting rid of ALL the hair. I would like to retain my hair on the arms (elbows down) as I might not like the complete hairless look. But would it look weird with no hair on the upper body except for arms and legs? Ideally, I would like to thin the hair on the arms and wax the rest. I am not concerned about my legs as there is not heavy growth. Or is the only option to get rid of all body hair including arms and legs?
Can someone please help? Thanks in advance for your advice and support!

Don’t wax if you are self conscious about the hair, as waxing will tend to make the hair darker and thicker, possibly more plentiful, and where you have a regular pattern of hair now, you could have distorted hairs that don’t grow in a regular pattern anymore, and some hairs will look like bent wires.

use a permanent option to reduce or eliminate the hair so that you don’t have more trouble in the future.