Second post - upper lip scars overtreatment

Hi Hairtell, I posted yesterday about a recent electrolysis session that left me with four deep scars on the corner of my lip. I’m posting to get insight and information to the electrologist.

Ive had electrolysis in the US for a few years with zero issues. My current practitioner is in Brazil and we have language barrier issues (Google translate helps to a certain extent).

Yesterday two electrologists on this forum suggested that this is overtreatment. I wrote to explain to her that I am no longer going to continue treatment due to the holes on my lip. Understandingly we are both very upset and she keeps telling me that I will not have marks that the indentations and hyperpigmentation aren’t permanent.

Can someone please assess the amount of damage, permanency, likely cause, remedies available, etc. is this likely to be permanent? If so, I’d like to educate her (through you) about this so she doesn’t do this again or tell other people this is a temporary side effect if it isn’t.

I am going to the dermatologist to have the indentations assessed later this week. If one of the electrologists or clients on this very amazing forum have any insights, I’d be so grateful. Photos below.

Treatment was three weeks ago. First photo at 2 weeks. Second photo taken this morning.

The progression of the injury was as follows: the day of the procedure it was extremely painful. She treated the upper lip and chin area which healed with no problem. The corner of my lips scarred immediately and I noticed the scar was larger than I have had in the past. I iced and applied antibacterial cream. 5 days later I noticed the first indentation (small hole that now is a line), then three more came on the second week. Two of the holes seem more superficial than the other two.

“The corner of my lips scarred immediately.” Scars do not, and cannot, form immediately. Your first photo is a bit more promising. Three weeks ago, is no time at all to accurately access this problem. Looks mostly like hyperpigmentation.

Your last photo shows probable divots, and that is not a good sign at all. That exact area of the upper lip can develop permanent depressions. Makes me sick! The upper lip is the single most important feature of a woman’s face. GREAT CARE is always needed … even when the electrologist is an expert with decades of experience.

Now, as far as giving suggestions … that’s impossible with virtually no technical data and no ability to watch the electrologist. I say, just sit tight and wait it out. No problem to consult with a dermatologist.

Meanwhile, I have several publications and videos on my website; and you should review the free material. Once you see the complexity of the healing process, you will understand that your desire for a quick and complete answer is not possible. The photos are inconclusive and somewhat difficult to analyze. I spent a ton of time producing these materials. The answers to your questions are there … you just need to take the time to read and watch. www.electrologynow.com

1 Like

Hi Michael, thank you for your thorough answer.

First I’d like to clarify that I made a mistake and instead of writing scabbed I wrote scarred. The corner of the upper lip scabbed larger than usual. I didn’t take a photo of this.

About your materials. I will review in more depth so I can educate myself and my electrologist about the injury she may have created and the skin healing properties. She just says, I feel very bad and it will go away. It’s either limited language skills or limited knowledge.

Have you or anyone here seen divots heal themselves over time? I’d like to add that it started as just one that now is the deepest line. The others are following a similar progression. Very concerned.

Oh, I see! Scabs on the upper lip should either be invisible … or so small they are of no concern to the patient. I mean super-duper tiny!

There are a number of deleterious side effects from a clumsy upper lip treatment. There are immediate problems, and then very long-term problems that many electrologists don’t consider. If actual contraction scars form on the upper lip (not the pits that you seem to exhibit), they can “line-up” to create vertical creases that are common on heavy smokers. I’m not helping am I?

I have been very lazy of late … but I plan to do an entire video on this important subject. Meanwhile … and I know you want some solace … your dermatologist can probably suggest some short-term remedy. Be sure to tell the doctor the time frame and how long those depressions have been there. Now I don’t know whether to take a couple Advils … or maybe a shot of whisky? Maybe both … Yeah, both!

Hi Zapthemhair,

May I please ask how you’re doing? Did you see any improvement in your skin condition?
I would love to find out more. Thank you.

My doctor recommended me a Bio-Oil is pretty impressive. It really helped with my facial surgery scars. Easy to find it on google but here’s one example link. If you click on ingredients you’ll see that it includes Vitamins A and E, You can read complete details and recommendations of the doctor in the following links
drarunghosh.co.uk/aesthetics/dermal-fillers/

is there any update on this case?