Scratch marks after electrolysis

I have been seeing the same Electrologist for months and she does a wonderful job. However the last two times I’ve seen her I’ve left with these scratch like marks all over my skin? Does anyone know why this might be happening? Could it be the way she is inserting probe or from the tweezers possibly? I just sent her a picture too I am still waiting for a response would just like additional input please thank you !

1 Like

Those look like tweezer scratches to me, which can happen on the neck especially where multiple shallow, differeing angles of insertion might be. It could also be from dragging a still hot needle out of the follicle across the skin. Either way while not likely to cause long term damage, these can be avoided by slowing down a bit and taking more care, also by adjusting positioning . I like to use a neck roll under the neck to get these hairs a little higher and easier to get to.

1 Like

I’m guessing she’s using flash and a very fine (thin) needle. Then, keeping the needle at an oblique angle, she’s resting the needle on the skin and creating these little “high in the skin ‘scratches’?”
Since only the epidermis is being affected there will be no lasting consequences. Scars don’t form in the epidermis … because they can’t.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I appreciate your answer and I have shared it with my electrologist she’s very receptive and wanting to fix the problem.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your answer I shared it with my electrologist and she wants to fix the problem , I’m glad it’s just surface (no scars) I have put some herbal healing salve on it and expect it to hopefully go away by end of this week.

If you have ever had a superficial abrasion (like a “skinned knee”), what you have only amounts to such an injury. You might get a little crusting but this is 100% going away with no problems whatsoever. Keep us informed as to the healing progress.

Okay so first picture is Sunday . Second is Monday pre treatment (unable to make it today so did Monday) third is Monday post treatment on face . Fourth and fifth are Tuesday post treatment. I don’t understand how my belly came out so horrifying when we literally used the same heat on my face. I get my belly done every couple weeks and this has never happened before. My electrologist is claiming she had the heat too high, however I have been burned by her (and others) before this and NEVER had it look like this. Usually it’s circular type marks . Her and the electrologist who did her apprenticeship are insisting the heat was too high. I’ve been at 6.5 for months. She has even went up to a 7 or 8 with me at which we determined was really too high. The first time the scratches happened I told her we need to turn heat down she said but we’ve been at your normal 6.5? Now she’s saying it’s a new machine but she only used the new machine on me once. And I’m off work today and tomorrow and wanted to get a tan but I’m Italian and my tans stay long term and I’m worried about having little white marks all over my belly from the scabs. ;( so frustrating I’m usually stuck inside 50 hours a week and finally I get a break and am scared to tan my belly.

This is my belly today . Healing slower than I would like.

Pretty sure she’s pushing down with the needle … common with hairs at an oblique angle. She’s “laying the needle” on the skin itself and “treating” the epidermis. Here’s an illustration from my book that somewhat shows this mistake. Her mistake is number “C.” Notice the arrows called “HF shorts” that causes the current to “zap” the skin and also can cause less current in the follicle. And, you get little “scratch” marks that are actually treated epidermis. Often when an electrologist is doing this, they turn up the current because they are not getting a good release … consequently they cause even more marks on the skin.

2 Likes

Additionally, the two areas where you see these marks have hairs that grow very flat on the skin. Common mistake being made over-and-over. She needs to consider what I’ve written and look at the illustration.

I’m going to send this to her. Thank you I really appreciate it. I felt like I was getting the run around when they keep saying it’s the level of heat and it feels frustrating. Like do you think I’m stupid kind of thing ?? I watch her often in the handheld mirror while she’s working on me because I’m supposed to learn as well and the needle is held at a very oblique angle. She says I’m the only one this is happening to because I’m the only one who can’t feel the heat when it’s high. (I really don’t feel it sometimes but have been lately when she’s marking me up) but she also told me there’s another one who doesn’t feel it just within the last couple weeks!! It’s like stories are changing. I just don’t understand why it seems she is giving me the run around . :frowning: but thank you again for your advice I will certainly be passing it on.

Well, she has not figured this out … yet! And, the reason you’re not feeling the heat is because the current is being dissipated into the epidermis (and not getting down in the follicle). Those low angle hairs are difficult to insert into and very often the needle is resting on the skin. Common mistake … in your case however, pretty extreme. Remember, current seeks the shortest path … in your case, the upper skin (epidermis).

Since you have a mirror, watch and you’ll probably see her pressing the whole needle on the skin … check it out.

I suggest that she bend the needle to help keep it off the epidermis. I hope she knows how to do this properly … I think I have a short video on it?

Actually she does keep the needle bent already! I’m just not understanding because I have been seeing her for months on high heat and now all of a sudden this is happeninng. I sent her your last message. I haven’t had a response yet but she’s probably working. Hopefully it changes because she’s the best electrologist ive had so far and I can’t even think of going to see someone else. I’ve seen like 5.

Well yes, you can press down with a bent needle too. I hope she’s not offended by my suggestions?

No she’s not she just says if this was the reason it would be happening with everyone and it’s just me. She puts the heat higher for me because I can’t feel it as much as others. (I’ve never been able too feel it much, one lady (different lady) marked my upper lip with galvanic because it wasn’t causing me that much pain) (the marks went away after a few months )

Yeah, I have heard it all. The “blame the client” tactic. “It’s only you, I do this all the time and never see this, your skin is extra moist, you must have gone in the sun, you did something wrong for your aftercare, what did you put on your face? … blah blah blah.”

Everything except that in every case it’s always the fault of the electrologist. Always! Note my other post about taking the blame for what I did! This diversion tactic is all too common in our semi-profession and actually is learned at school.

Well that makes sense considering I’ve had this from multiple electrologists. One time after being burned by galvanic and telling the next electrologist what happened she blamed my aftercare covering for the first. I avoid man made substances when possible and use coconut oil or natural butters on my skin. I know some coconut oil did not cause a bunch of red spots all over my lip!

I’ll be sure to remind her not to push down next time I go in. I do believe she does this when she’s rushing without realizing it. I’ve had the heat high the entire time I’ve been seeing her , that’s one of the things I like about her is I’m ACTUALLY seeing PROGRESS . I had laser done pre covid 2020 and it made hairs grow out in patches on my face where I never had them so I’m not sure if it’s just taken this long or what but I stated electrolysis jan 2021 and am just now seeing some progress in the last couple months. Hairs are much lighter and thinner now.

She also could be treating hairs that line up … but that seems a bit unlikely. I’m always concerned when any practitioner doesn’t have a clue as to what went wrong. Seems to me that a pro in the field should know what’s happening, because the client shouldn’t have to figure it out. I’m thinking that a correct-size tapered or insulated needle would stop what you’re seeing. I wonder what size (and type) needles she’s using? My guess: Ballet regular size 3?

I’ll ask her when I go in Monday. I think before she was using a ballet 4 but I haven’t asked her in a while. My hairs were thicker then. She is newer but she is sending everything to the electrologist who did her apprenticeship (which just ended a few months back) and that lady keeps saying “it’s heat it’s heat it’s heat” sooo . Yeah like you said earlier , I’m feeling the divert the issue tactic. She asked me if I put in the post that I insist on high heat , but I only tell her when I can’t feel it to turn it up , I’ve even asked her to turn it down multiple times. I resent her one of the texts where I told her she’s marking me up can she turn it down, which got a response of “we’re at your normal 6.5”, so it kind of got thrown back in her face. Unfortunately people play dumb with me on this subject , and I know these answers are coming from the woman who taught her more than her . It feels frustrating, I definitely won’t want to do that to a client of mine ever. Doesn’t feel very professional. especially for someone like me, I over think things a lot so I don’t just let it go at any old answer .