Schick Quattro

Has anyone tried this four bladed razor yet?

I bought a Quattro because I wanted to see how it compares to the Mach3 Turbo. The Quattro is a pretty good razor. IMHO it shaves as close as the Mach3 Turbo and a shave lasts just as long as with the Mach3. It has some fine wires that run at 90° angles to the blades, presumably to prevent cuts and nicks. It does cut and nick less than the Trubo does. The down side of those little wires is that it takes more time to shave with the Quattro. Every where there is a wire means that part is not shaving hair so it takes multiple passes and more overlap. Tjhe Quattro blades do seem to get dull quicker than with the Turbo.

Pluses:

Shaves a close as the Turbo.
Fewer nicks and cuts.

Minuses:

Takes longer to shave than with the Turbo.

Blade does not seem to gives as many shaves as the Turbo.

If you cut easily the Quattro is definitely worth a try. It takes more passes than the Turbo to clear an area of hair though. If your hair is not real dense you may not notice the difference.

Because the Turbo is quicker and lasts longer I am staying with it but the Quattro is very close inperformance.

RJC2001

Thanks RJC 2001,
I tend to get nicks and cuts when shaving. I always shave against the grain, and I usually wait about three days or so in between shaves. If I tried to shave every day or every other day, I’d get a bunch more nicks and cuts. I don’t know if my skin is more sensitive than others or what. I’ve tried some razors before that have the thin wires across the blades like the Schick Protector. I still got some nicks and cuts even with those. I’ve also tried a bunch of different shaving creams and gels. The cuts I get usually aren’t real noticeable after I take a shower, but it’s still a pain. Sorry I ventured off topic a little, but any advice on this?

Hey all…
Todd: I am having the same problem so I know what you are talking about. I think it is a combination of hair thickness, density, and sensitive skin. The only thing I can think of to solve this is to try using electric shavers.

Try using a different shave gel. I recently tried Aveeno’s Positively Smooth shave gel and it’s great, even better then Edge Pro Shave Gel for Tough Beards. Keep adding water if your skin is drying out.

My absolute favorite is combining Moore unique Hydroglide Shave Solution with Aveeno Positively Smooth. The Hydroglide keeps the Aveeno from drying out. The Hydroglide is too thin to use by iteslf unless your hair is very fine. Check out the following link:

www.mooreunique.com

Other good product to try are Airshave gel by Tend Skin and Turbo Shave. Turbo Shave does not require water and is available at Brookstone.

I too shave against the grain when using a blade. Using a good electric will give better results than shaving with the grain with a blade.

If you want to try an electric, get the Braun syncro, either the 7526 or 7505. The 7526 has a self cleaning module which works great.

RJC2001

Thanks guys,
RJC2001,
I tried using a shave gel by Aveeno before. It was the one that was out before the Positively Smooth kind. The bottle looks similar to the Positively Smooth kind, but I’m not sure what the difference is between the two?

I’ll have to look into those other shave gels you recommended also. By the way, have you ever tried a shave oil to shave with? Some people have said that works good. Also, other people have said that using a hair conditoner to shave with will give you less nicks and cuts?

I’ve tried the Mach3 Turbo and the regular Mach 3. To me, shaves with the regular Mach 3 seem to last a little longer and the blades on the Mach 3 last a lot longer than the Turbo blades.

The Turbo blades are coated with Aloe and Vitamin E supposedly to help reduce friction but this seemingly makes it harder to get quite as close a shave. I have recently began using the Aveeno Positively Smooth products and I can say that these are good products. They claim to “Help You Shave Less Often.” I do get some razor cuts, mostly on my neck, but they seem to be about the same with the Mach 3 and Mach 3 turbo. While I would like to find an effective alternative to shaving altogether, which would last longer and eliminate stubble, until I do, I think I will stay with the Mach 3 and Aveeno Positively Smooth Shave Gel unless someone has suggestions of a possibly better product.

Some Target stores sell King of Shaves Shaving Oil. It works OK but it is a little bit on the thick side. It tends to clog the razor if not diluted. You can combine it with your favorite shave gel to get the right viscosity. It worked well when combined with Edge Pro Gel for Tough Beards.

Interesting comparison between the Mach 3 and the Mach 3 Turbo. I guess no one shaver works best for everyone. Results are going to vary with the individual. I found the performance of the Quattro to be similar to the Turbo. The shave lasted equally as long for both.

I would be interested to hear of others experience with the Quattro.

RJC2001

I still have problems getting nicks and cuts with the Quattro, even though the protective wires are supposed to help. One of the issues I had with Schick’s three bladed razor, XTreme 3, was that hairs get caught easily in the blades, especially longer hairs. The Quattro seems to be better in not getting as clogged with hairs. Though, the last time I shaved my chest and stomach using it, and a lot of long hairs got caught in the blades. Some hairs get caught in the protective wires, especially the back of the blades. I tried getting a lot of the hairs unclogged, and I ended up breaking one of the wires.

By the way, how many shaves do you normally get with your blades?

On Jan. 15, 2004, The Gillette Company announced that it is introducing a new battery-powered wet shaver in May of 2004 (North America only). It’s called the M3Power for men. Perfectly safe to use in the shower, too.

Claims to outpower other shaving systems including the Mach3 turbo and it beat the Schick Quattro in consumer testing.

Will retail for $14.99.

More info can be seen at www.gillette.com

Dee

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by dfahey:
<strong>On Jan. 15, 2004, The Gillette Company announced that it is introducing a new battery-powered wet shaver in May of 2004 (North America only). It’s called the M3Power for men. Perfectly safe to use in the shower, too.

Claims to outpower other shaving systems including the Mach3 turbo and it beat the Schick Quattro in consumer testing.

Will retail for $14.99.

More info can be seen at www.gillette.com

Dee</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>I’ll have to check this out. Thanks for the info. Hopefully this is better than the battery operated razor I tried out a few years ago. I think it was made by Conair, and it was just a regular razor that vibrated some.

I wonder if this is the same gadget that Sharper Image used to sell. it ran on a AAA battery and accepted Mach3 and Mach3 Turbo blades. I don’t know if they still sell it or not.

RJC2001

I have been using a Mach3 for a couple years now and am convinced it is the best razor a man can buy, but the replacement blades are just too expensive when I usually get around 5-6 shaves per blade. I recently ran across a new product called EdgeSaver and have been using it for 2 months and have only gone through 2 blades. It also gave me a much smoother, less irritating shave. I gotta tell you…I am definitely impressed with EdgeSaver. I highly recommend it!

Please tell us more about Edge Saver. Is it a liquid that you soak the blades in after using? Or is it that magnetic gadget sold by Sharper Image? Is there a URL where we can get more information on it?

Where can this be purchased?

RJC2001

The Edge Saver URL is http://www.edgesaver.com/.

You can buy from the website - they’re in Minnesota.

Looks interesting, but I shave in the shower and don’t have space for the unit. Hmmmm… maybe time to redesign the shower :grin:

Check out the website, it gives a lot of detailed info. www.edgesaver.com When I first bought the product I thought it was just another make a dollar product. Not so! I didn’t believe those little tablets they sell with the system even worked. Amazing, put one of those tablets next to a drop of water and it actually sucks the water into the tablet, cool stuff!! If you don’t believe me try it for yourself. I definetly didn’t waste my money buying the EdgeSaver system.

As a note of personal experience, I tried the Gillette Sensor Excel and found it better than Mach 3. The blades last longer and it causes less irritation. The first time I used it I thought it shaved closer than the Mach 3 but now I don’t really know if it does or not. I am having facial electrolysis, but while that’s being done, I think I will continue using the Sensor Excel between treatments.

hey, if anyone is interested in the opinion of a gal who uses guy razors on her legs…i’ve been looking for an opportunity to badmouth the quatro. i normally use the mach 3 turbo and when i heard about the quatro i figured it was worth a try but i found it impossible to clean. the mach 3 blade lasted ages for me, but the quatro i had to change pretty quickly because the hairs that were long enough to get stuck did not wash out. i guess it could still be a good razor if you shave frequently enough that you’re always scraping off stubble, but if you use it after neglecting to shave for a couple of days, you’ll probably need to throw away the blade.

Tearose, we are definitley interested in your opinions. Do you think the men’s razors are better than the women’s. A lot of bodybuilders tried the Venus and liked it, but the Mach3 and Mach3 Turbo rule now.

I think the Quattro is pretty good but I like the Turbo better. I could see where the Quattro might clog more easily. I never tried the Quattro on long stubble though. It works fine on very short stubble. You need to shave every day or two for the Quattro to be useable.

I’m anxious to try the M3 Power, but have not seen it in stores yet.

RJC2001

Just an update on the M3 Power. The CVS ad in the Sunday paper claims they will be the first ones to have it on Tuesday, May 18. Other stores will probably have it at the same time.

Wal Mart had the Mach 3 Turbo just as early as anyone else.

While at Wal Mart the other day, I noticed that the Sensor 3 refills are actually more expensive than the Mach 3 Turbo refills. What’s up with that?

RJC2001