Scars from electrolysis....advice?

I’m new here and am hoping someone can answer electrolysis scarring questions. I will try to not ramble on and on! I did electrolysis for about a yr. went to 3 diff places bc of a move and bc of poor treatment. Long story short, I am left with pitted scars and some open hole pinpoint looking scars. My last treatment was in dec on my cheeks and chin. I was having vellus type hairs( some seemed to be on the longer side and some had a little pigment) and dark course hairs treated. I was told by the woman doing m electrolysis that my hairs were accelerated vellus, but my derm and ob doctors looked at me crazy when I told them that. What exactly are accelerated vellus hairs…sorry, a little off my topic.
Is there any hope that this type of scarring will heal with time? I am taking zinc, vit c and vit e as well as a multi and I am a healthy eater, non smoker etc. do you know if there have been any " scar healing stories" that have been posted on this site? I am so stressed bc I used to have great skin, never had acne and overall no issues. I had no idea this process could be so damaging to the skin. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Michk, I think that, given time, your marks will revert to normal.
Scars are permanent marks left by an intervention to the skin. Marks post treatment are sometimes inevitable and usually are not permanent.
In the mean time Silicone gel is an effective scar prevention tool.
Here is a link to a piece I got simply from a Google search for “silicone for scars”

I hope this is helpful.
June

Thank you so much for responding to my post. Do you know if silicone gel works for depressed/pitted scars? I read the link, but it talked about raised, red scars. Mine are like indents in the skin as well as tiny holes. I know this reaction was not supposed to happen, but I am hopeful my skin will get a little with time. Have you seen patients with this type of scarring heal with time? Thanks again!!!

I had indented marks from electrolysis and they went away with time. It was poor treatment that gave me those as well. I applied aloe vera religiously as well as a lotion that contains vitamin e. As long as you are gentle to your skin, the marks should hopefully resolve in time. Did you at least notice a reduction in the amount of hair you had within the year that you were getting electrolysis? Are you planning to receive any further treatment?

I had some improvement but had to stop bc my last electrologist said that it might just be my skin. Most of the dark course ones are gone… Hoping that they will stay away! I need to order pure aloe… Thanks for the advice. Were your scars like pits? Do you remember how long they took to look better? Did you also get open hole type scars? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for responding to my post!

Yeah they were pitted but they weren’t terribly deep. It was within a month or so before they dissipated. I’m also using a smoothing serum that cotains retinol which I’ve found to be helpful in the overall texture of my upper lip area.

You might consider concentrated vitamin C in a silicone base. I have indented scaring from electrolysis and it got much better over time, but it’s still a little bit there. I didn’t use anything! Mine were like needle holes. I feel like if i had made an effort to heal them they’d be better off. So i rec using something for 6 months while they’re still new, no matter what it is whether it be retin-A or vit C.

Skinmedica vitamin C complex is very potent and stable in a silicone base. It’ expensive though, $80 i think at skinstore.com, but they usually have 20% off codes.

heres a little article on C and skin healing.
http://www.skininc.com/skinscience/ingredients/59012082.html

You might consider concentrated vitamin C in a silicone base. I have indented scaring from electrolysis and it got much better over time, but it’s still a little bit there. I didn’t use anything! Mine were like needle holes. I feel like if i had made an effort to heal them they’d be better off. So i rec using something for 6 months while they’re still new, no matter what it is whether it be retin-A or vit C.

Skinmedica vitamin C complex is very potent and stable in a silicone base. It’ expensive though, $80 i think at skinstore.com, but they usually have 20% off codes.

heres a little article on C and skin healing.
http://www.skininc.com/skinscience/ingredients/59012082.html

oh, and one of the strongest retinols you can get, since retin-a is rx, is “green cream”, google it, can be bought online. Very popular well loved product and one of the least expensive good retinol produts. About $45 on dermstore.com.

Thanks so much for your response. Do you remember how long it took for your scars to look better? I’m going on 4 months and they are still there. I’m trying to be patient but it’s so hard to see pits in the skin! I will start using vit c and retin a to see if it helps. Thanks so much.

yeeeeeears. really. Get something to help it along. yeeeeears. almost 10 maybe? softened over time but gets better every year. it’s definitely been over 15 years since i got them, but i only noticed them not being real noticable a handful of years ago.

if you need a rec for a less expensive cream i might be able to find one.

this one looks fabulous btw, has the vitamin A derivitive, vitamin E AND vitamin C. (this brand makes very good stuff).

http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/products/AAA_Cream_Powerful_Antioxidant_Cream-324-0.html

it’s only 3gms for $15, which is expensive, but they have 30% off codes all the time, and you could get 2. Only need to be used on the area.

I use Retin A, and I would recommend that for skin issues of this kind. I had a few pitted areas and bits of skin damage, and the Retin A is really making a difference. That, along with alpha hydroxy acids, is the only thing clinically proven to make a real difference.

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Retinol+Plus+Smoothing+Serum+10X_6932.htm

This is also a great product. There are a few different strengths, the 10x is the most expensive as it has the highest concentration of retinol in it. I’m currently using this product and so far it’s working great.

Michk,

I know its been 4 years since you last posted this post! I was wondering how the scars are doing & if its healed?

I am in a similar situation

Have you tried using chemical peels?

We just wrote about electrolysis scarring on our blog.

Very nice "blog’ indeed. I would only correct one statement … this one: "Apply a chemical peel to dissolve the top layer of skin that’s scarred only superficially from electrolysis.’

The "top layer’ of the skin would be the epidermis … and, the epidermis does not and cannot form scar tissue. A scar is collagen: there is no collagen (or blood) in the epidermis.

So, "where are the scars?’ Scar exist (only) in the dermis. The chemical peel that dissolves the epidermis is primarily meant to start-up the collagen-turnover process in the dermis. All the other procedures you mention also initiate collagen production by causing inflammation and this can, in most cases, reduce the appearance of scar tissue (in the dermis).

I only mention this, because for decades electrologists say, "Oh my, don’t scar the epidermis … ", when, in fact, visible scars form in the upper "reticular dermis.’ People who are doing telangiectasia removal always coagulate the epidermis and always see that it’s impossible to cause a scar from this superficial treatment: impossible!

Furthermore, many electrologists (and clients) "freak-out’ when they see inflammation. However, it’s the process of inflammation that causes your skin to HEAL: it’s a good thing!

I like your blog … thanks!

1 Like

Michael I remember some discussion where someone was concerned about scarring on genital area and there was an explanation that genital skin does not show scarring because skin down there does not have the top layer of epidermis. Was that an accurate explanation?

No, not an accurate explanation.

Everything in-and-on the body is covered with “epidermis” (different name internally: epithelium). If you didn’t have epidermis, you would bleed out.

The “pee pee” doesn’t scar (well, almost never) because the dermis is microscopically thin. (Also the “top layer” of the epidermis would be the outer “dead layer” of cells.) All layers are present on the “schnitzel.”

The epidermis cannot scar. It can only grow-over scars that are in the dermis. Maybe that’s where the confusion comes in?

Surgeons (dermabrasion) remove the entire epidermis and a lot of the vascular and reticular dermis (a bloody mess, metal brush … I scrubbed-in, YUCK!) … and like a miracle the entire epidermis grows back (with a somewhat thinner dermis).

The epidermis grows back from the few epidermal cells remaining in hair follicles and other skin structures (sweat glands and oil glands). It’s really a miracle (if a non-believer can use that term. The cells in the remnant follicle migrate out on the skin’s surface … join up and re-create the entire new epidermis. AWESOME! How do those cells know to do that? Yeah, a miracle.

2 Likes

@AmyStanton37 no, I haven’t tried Chemical Peels. I am a bit scared of them as I wonder if they thin the skin? I am going to try micro needling instead

@Michael Bono great explanation on "Apply a chemical peel to dissolve the top layer of skin that’s scarred only superficially from electrolysis.’ - Makes total sense!