scabbing

Back to the ‘bible’ page 7: Hinkel asks that same question as to whether or not ‘the electrologist’s needle itself might be the stimulus of new growths of hair’.

He explains that ‘almost every instance of accelerated growth has been the result of a sustained source of irritation. Nothing of such MINOR INTENSITY or of so SHORT DURATION as the electrical action of the electrologist’s needle could alter the permanent cutaneous (skin) blood supply sufficiently to cause a marked increase in hair growth. Since the incidence of increased growth following treatment is rare, it is quite probable that the increase is due in those unusual instances to a coincidental change in the hormonal balance’.

When the skin is rubbed, chafed, burned or consistently irritated, nature provides protection to that area of skin by growing hair. Whenever there is irritation, the blood supply increases to that area (close to the skin’s surface) and causes hair to grow deeper and darker. For example, my son had a cast on his arm for a couple months following a football injury. When the cast was removed, his arm looked like a little monkey’s arm - lots and lots of dark hair. Thankfully, the hair disappeared shortly after the source of irritation (the cast) was removed.

If someone is using Nair every other day, I guess that could be classified as an irritant and thus could increase the blood supply to the area causing increased hair growth. Hadn’t reasoned that one out before??? You ask good questions, Mina.

Dee

OK, Dee. But depilatories are also applied for a short period of time, and they don’t irritate the skin (or no one would use them). At least not as much as electrolosis. And also, why then waxing would stimulate hair growth? It is very quick too (quicker than electro) and it is done once in a number of weeks. And it heals up faster. And, hey, Hinkel also said that depilatories don’t increase hair growth, like you said above.

I’m not an electrologist, but this is my guess: electrolysis is more than an irritant. Its power is strong enough to not just stimulate a follicle but permanently damage it so that no more hair can grow out of it.

The other methods irritate the follicle either with chemicals or by yanking (waxing, tweezing). The body responds to all irritations by increasing blood supply to the area to speed up healing. But with hair follicles, the extra blood supply stimulates more hair growth. And who knows, maybe the body figures, hey, something keeps getting rid of these hairs, so I better make these hairs stronger and stronger to try to withstand the attacks. Stupid body!

susie :relaxed:

p.s. I used to bleach a lot and the hairs slowly got thicker and thicker till they no longer took the bleach, but I can’t say if that was because of bleaching or some other reason.

[ July 08, 2004, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: VespaSusie ]

Nice comments VS. I always enjoy your clear explanations.

It is obvious why waxing and tweezing cause increased hair growth. Even though it is quick, it is violent. Yanking the hair out below the skin starts the immediate reaction of the body to repair that wound. Electrolysis also irritates the skin, it is quick and it is violent. However, the irritating action taken by electrolysis under the skin is that of destroying the tissue that nourishes the hair. If that tissue is destroyed, no matter what the body does to try and repair and regenerate that new follicle, there will be nothing to work with because the follicle is dead and gone.

Depilatories and bleaching do their share of irritating the skin, too. I think some out there would disagree with you about depilatories not irritating the skin (as well as the nose), Mina. So what I’m saying is I think it is plausible that hair could be stimulated to grow from these proceedures. I quoted from Hinkel, but I also take notice of comments that very experienced electrologist’s like James Walker make. He has seen many, many clients over the years and his observations are worth millions. Nothing is cut and dry. We do guide comments on scientic principles, however, we whole-heartedly know there are always exceptions and we need to use common sense sometimes.

Scabbing is normal. I would be more concerned if there was no scabbing. Please click to: electrolysisinformation.com and it will answer all your questions.

I tell all my patients that they can shave, cut, shaving is cutting, bleach or whatever but never tweeze between electrology appointments. If any of the other temporary procedures can cause thickening or grow more hair many balding men and women would be doing it.

I say this in my book Modern Electrology and I have found it to be true after 45 years of full time practice. Any process or product that can prove in can thicken or grow hair will be worth billions of dollars.

In some cases and very rare, vellus hair that has been tweezed can regrown into a larger diameter hair, compared to the one removed. A trauma occurs in the follice causing the miotic division of cells to produce faster and wider germinative cells. This was told to me by Dr. Montagna when he was alive. He was the God of Hair Information.