Scabbing and Hyperpigmentation -- Please Help!

I had my first treatment for a Brazallian about 3 weeks ago.

The experience was literally quite painful; left me with two blisters that ended up becoming scabs. After the scabs shed, the skin is now lighter (pink) than before (is this considered scarring?).

Every other spots the laser hit became hyperpigmented.

The nurse assured me that these will all heal and return to normal.

After researching further, I am starting to believe the nurse was simply incompetent in operating the machine – even though she claimed of having 15 yeras of experience!

Four days after the treatment, the nurse called to see how I was doing. I explained my condition and she assured me again that my skin will return to normal. She also stated that she will have to lower the power for the next treatment.

I am now quite afraid of going back there!

Is it normal to receive hyperpigmentation on every spot and burns?

I am also contemplating on seeking legal help.

Hi Julez,

If the nurse keeps on telling you that it is no problem at all and all would heal in time, and you are not confident on what she’s been telling you then you might want to consider going to a credible dermatologist in your area and let them check on your skin for your peace of mind.

1. Do you know the type of laser you were treated with?

2. What were the settings used (fluence, spot size, pulse width)?

3. What is your Fitzpatrick skin type (at least what do you think it is)?

4. I realize you had a ‘Brazilian’ treatment, but could you post a picture from at least your bikini line (or another non-private area) so we can see your adverse reaction?

5. Have you had recent sun exposure to the area you treated?

6. Are you currently taking any medications? Have you taken isotrentinoin (also known as Accutane) within the past year?

7. What country do you live in?

1. Do you know the type of laser you were treated with?
    The laser was the Lightsheer.

2. What were the settings used (fluence, spot size, pulse width)?
    No idea on the settings as the nurse did not tell me.

3. What is your Fitzpatrick skin type (at least what do you think it is)?
    The nurse believed I was a 3 or 4.

4. I realize you had a ‘Brazilian’ treatment, but could you post a picture from at least your bikini line (or another non-private area) so we can see your adverse reaction?
    http://img848.imageshack.us/i/20110412004.jpg/
    http://img140.imageshack.us/f/20110412002.jpg/

5. Have you had recent sun exposure to the area you treated?
    No sun exposure.

6. Are you currently taking any medications? Have you taken isotrentinoin (also known as Accutane) within the past year?
    I am not taking any medications. However, I have been applying hydrocortisone 1% with aloe; vitamins D, E, and A about twice a day.

7. What country do you live in?
    I live in the United States.

Julez-

Sorry for your experience. Indeed, you have some scarring and hyperpigmentation.

1. Unfortunately, your skin color is too dark for LightSheer. It’s hard to say from the pictures given camera settings/lighting, but you are at least a type 4. You need a Nd:Yag laser, such as GentleYag or GentleMAX.

2. Was the area with hair shown in the pictures treated with the laser? If so, there definitely shouldn’t be growth at 3 weeks.

3. The good news is that the scarring in the first photo doesn’t look too bad. With time this will definitely fade, but may never completely resolve.

4. The hyperpigmentation is indeed severe. Please see a physician, preferably a dermatologist to discuss fading treatments such as hydroquinone.

5. Specifically, do you know how much vitamin D and A you are taking? Were you taking vitamin A before the treatment?

Looks like I will give that med-spa a call for a refund…
These Groupon deals on laser hair removal are really too good to be true…

1. No, the area with the hair shown was not treated with the laser.
    Does a treatment/session consist of the whole crotch being treated with laser? If so… I feel even more cheated. However, the pain was excruciating – I’m guessing because the laser was not for my type of skin.

2. I take vitamin supplements daily (D and A are part of them); I believe they range around 80%-90% of daily values?

Definition of areas (e.g. what defines a Brazilian) varies from clinic to clinic, so it’s best to ask beforehand.

It’s hard to say without knowing the terms of the deal, etc.

There was another thread here about Groupon and how it can be sort of a gimmick. I don’t use the site, so I don’t know much about it.

Laser hair removal really DOES provide permanent hair reduction, provided you are an ideal candidate for LHR and the type of laser used, and provided the technician is experienced and knowledgeable. This is more a case of your skin type not being amenable to the type of laser used in that clinic (or at a minimum, to the settings used for your treatment). This really exemplifies why it’s important to do research BEFORE jumping into any medical procedure. If your true goal is permanent hair removal, then you need to consider the laser type, technician experience, etc. and have consultations at more than one clinic rather than going by price alone. Consultations should always be free, and we always recommend that you get a sample spot treatment done to see how your skin reacts.

Luckily, in most cases hyperpigmentation can be effectively resolved with topical bleaching medications, and in many cases it will fade in time on its own accord. The hair shown in your pictures can definitely be treated safely with an Nd:Yag laser (provided the technician is knowledgeable and experienced). You could get a very good reduction in this area.

If you decide at some point to get another treatment, please read the FAQ on this site. When you go for a consultation, ask for settings they plan to use on the machine (fluence, spot size, and pulse width) and post those in this forum so we can help you identify whether such a treatment may be effective for you.

Thanks a lot for your help, JMISR!

Most pigmentation and scabbing issues resolve completely within a few months. I wouldn’t worry too much.

Your hair looks great for laser. I would simply wait until skin is back to normal and then look for a knowledgeable clinic.

LightSheer should be fine if you’re actually a type IV, as long as they use correct settings. It sounds like they didn’t in this case. If you want to stay on the safe side, go with a Yag laser next time - it’s meant for darker skin types. Regardless, a clinic that knows what they’re doing is important with any machine.

Thank you for your input, LAgirl!

The pain was excruciating – I wonder if the reason being because of the incorrect settings (too high)?

Do you happen to know if the pain is significantly less if the settings are ideal and no hyperpigmentation occur?

I’m guessing since the settings were high enough to burn me, that was what caused the extensive pain?

If settings are high enough to burn, it will definitely hurt a ton. It’s supposed to hurt regardless, but I wouldn’t call it excruciating.

With good settings, there are no side effects.

Yes, settings were too high for your skin type.