Scabbing after electrolysis

Hi
I had my first electrolysis session on Tuesday - just a patch test, and I scabbed up after, and these are the scabs 4 days after treatment. Is this normal? I have been putting sunscreen on and making sure the scabs stay hydrated.

those scabs look more honey coloured to me, were you having blend or galvanic performed? If so, yes, that is pretty normal,but I do still think the scabs are a little on the largish size. For thermolysis with an insulated needle, this would not be acceptable. For thermolysis with a non-insulated needle, this is about what I would expect, but I wouldnt want to go through treatment with those conditions.
I dont think any permanent damage will result regardless of these parameters, and so there’s nothing to stress about.

1 Like

Let’s see if this still works! I’d agree with Seana. Still, for the upper lip … for me anyway … no scabs at all is my goal (whichever modality I use). My fear, with this professional zapper, is that a longer treatment with this much scabbing, could produce some real difficulties. I’m glad you did a test spot. Goal … no visible scabs on the upper lip.

1 Like

Additionally, this is one of three HIGH RISK areas on the face. The upper lip … exactly where your treatment was … is my number one risk area.

Hi Bono!
Thanks for the reply - where are the other high risk areas?

Two (lateral) spots at the chin and a narrow strip at the side-burns. I have these danger-areas illustrated in one of the Hinkel videos, but at the moment, I couldn’t find it. Yuck … “digging thru all my nonsense.” Maybe I’ll do a separate video on “danger areas” and why they are areas of concern. You gave me another idea. Thanks!

3 Likes

Welcome back Mike. Long time no hearing from u.
:gift_heart: :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

It will heal, so let it heal completely over time.

These follicles were over treated and this should not be repeated again.

If the electrologist has excellent vision aid, she/he would see small signs that the follicle is being treated beyond necessity and make adjustments to the energy level needed to release these hairs. If they are using a probe that is too small, that could be another problem.

Always give feedback to your electrologist so they can adjust, learn and grow (true for anything in life).

The proper response would be, “Thank you fpr your feedback. Let’s try to make some changes and fine tune this”.

Improper response would be, " I’ve been doing this for 35 years and this is what needs to be done to kill that hair!".

To me, this is unnecessary. Expect redness and swelling immediately after and some some, not many, pinpoint scabbing a couple days after, which all goes away in a week or ten days. Totally normal skin side effects, so don’t panic.

Electrologists want to learn from their clients. We are human and sometimes we can cause reactions from from being over zealous. Hair is a tough enemy and it won’t budge, especially for the first, full clearance, but there are special techniques that one can use to not take chunks of skin out in the process of treating the hair follicle.

5 Likes

Hi Aylabr

I can relate 100% - I hope you will find my testimonial useful in finding a way forward:

1 Like

I had my second treatment today, at the same location, a different woman - who has more experience. She used a blend method, where I had to hold a rod in my hand. Seems to have worked a lot better, no scabbing/hyperpigmentation at the location - just a bit of redness - hopefully this is the way to go.
She used a ‘blend’ method, and each hair treatment takes slightly longer.

slow and easy wins the race, just like the turtle and the hair story so it is with electrolysis. Blend is a great way to go. Though technically any modality is acceptable as a means to an end with the right results, if the above treatment is in thermolysis then I wouldnt take a treatment from that practitioner again, not because I think it caused any damage but because doing so repeatedly almost surely will result in some marking. Stick with your blend gal, she sounds like a winner!

1 Like

If someone did this to me, I would be very upset. No Scabs on the face are the goal. I use the Blend for all my clients and never have had a result like this. Will this single treatment result in scaring…probably not. But I suggest going elsewhere.
Don’t pick and keep the a light coating of Vaseline on scabs. This will help them heal faster and creates a barrier much like a band aid. Let the scabs naturally fall off as the skin repairs itself from underneath. The process of healing usually takes about 2 weeks.

1 Like

How long did this take to heal? I had the same response to thermolysis - after doing blend for many years with no issue. She did most of my upper lip this way so a week later I still look pretty bad and don’t want to go out since it is clearly in the shape of the mustache area. Pretty upset about it all )=