Salaries for Canadian Electrologists?

Hi there! I’m a new Electrologist just about to get into work in a few weeks. I’ve long dreamed of moving to Canada, and the motivations to do so are really becoming even greater than ever. I’ve just briefly been looking over job postings around various parts of Canada and I’m seeing every job posting <$20/hr. Many of them around the $15-18 range hourly. Is this for real? Where I live electrolysis costs $140-220/hr, and the electrologists charging these prices have long waitlists.

I’ve accepted a position making $60/hr which I realize is a very high starting wage, but many of my classmates are starting off around $30-40, which I would assume is more standard. What’s the deal with all these insanely low wages for electrologists in Canada? Are these apprenticeships? They don’t seem to say anything to that effect. I know that there’s little to no regulation or licensing in Canada for electrology, but these wages are absurdly low even so for a skilled technical job such as electrology. I wouldn’t want someone making $15/hr working on me and I cant imagine many people would, so how does this work? What am I missing here?

If you are working for someone else,the employer first must pay for your place to work ( physical location) then also the employers part tof your taxes. cpp contributions workmans compensation etc, supplies and equipment for performing electrolysis, insurance, utilities and a myriad of other items. I bill out at about $110 an hour, actually absurdly low, but I cover all these things myself. Employees are notoriously unreliable, and often jump from one place to another seeking greener pastures and trying to take your clients with them when they go and so honestly, most times it isnt worth it with the slim margins left over to invest more into their wages to retain them.
Also , if considering moving to Canada to work or run your own business here may not be as easy as one might think to get permission to do so.

Is your $60/hr wage for all hours at work including time cleaning, doing admin work, gaps between treatments? Are you getting employer paid health insurance and/or 401k retirement benefits? Any other benefits?

I have routinely found that people who say they’ve been offered 60/hr are only getting paid for the specific time they are treating clients. I pay my employees very well and offer benefits. If I paid them $60/hr for 40 hrs a week, I wouldn’t be able to afford the other benefits I offer them plus all my business expenses.

1 Like