Rough Guide to UK Laser Clinics (Add, Comment please!)

(NOTE: Part 3 has been posted with regard to Lasercare Leicester in an above post)

Part 4

Bodysmooth

Bodysmooth is a cosmetic clinic located near Oxford Circus tube station. It’s located in a bustling, busy area of good ol’ London town and is located on the sixth floor of an inconspicious building. I would like to point out that this is the only clinic I approached which bothered to respond by e-mail and not only was the e-mail friendly and informative, it inspired confidence and trust in the BodySmooth name. After my disasterous experience at Lasercare Leicester, I decided that with Bare Necessity and various other clinics out of the question, Bodysmooth was my only real option (I haven’t covered the Harley Medical Group but will do in due course–needless to say it’s sweet and to the point!)

As I had already received a test patch from an nd: yag laser, I presumed I would not need a further test patch with a different brand of nd: yag laser. The head laser nurse at BodySmooth concurred, though she would only proceed with treatment if I was to sign a consent form on the day of treatment. Thus I decided that with a safe result from my test patch at Lasercare Leicester, I would book in for a full back treatment at Bodysmooth afer an inital consultation.

And the rest? Oh dear.

First of all the clinic is located, as noted, on the sixth floor of an inconspicious building in a fairly cramped enviroment. I was greeted by a fairly humourless male receptionist who reminded me of the dull teacher from Ferris Beuller’s Day Off. I proceeded to fill in rudimentary forms and it was made clear, after I eavesdropped on the receptionist’s conversation, that the laser nurse was running 10 minutes behind schedule. No problem, I thought. I filled in the forms and awaited treatment.

I entered the laser room, some fifteen minutes after my promised time of eleven o clock, and was greeted by not one but two laser nurses. Well one qualified nurse and one nurse in training. The room was small and dominated by the operating table. I was informed the laser nurse was “in training” and I presumed she was present to witness the laser hair removal and consultation and thus felt at ease. The trained nurse was professional, polite and got down to it. She was definitely a step above the Lasercare Leicester nurse.

Now one of the main problems people have with Bodysmooth, it appears, is the £35 per 15 minutes charge. I was quoted 90 minutes for my back and ended up paying £204 as the lasering was finished under this presumed time limit. So this was a good thing but what was a BAD THING was who was doing the lasering.

Let me ask you was it the professional nurse, showing a trainee laser nurse how to do the lasering? Or was it the trainee nurse, on her own, being checked up on every 30 minutes or so.

I’m sad to report it was the trainee nurse who perfomed the treatment and she did so quite badly in that the skin was never really properly cooled before treatment and thus I ended up with a small area of hyperpigmentation and a treatment which bordered on torture for nearly an hour and a half. It felt like my skin was going through a sewing machine–it was quite horrendous.

What surprised me though was that the training nurse just left the trainee nurse to it which leads me to believe that patients are quite easy to use as practise. It’s my understanding that a nurse in training will always be someone who needs guidance and assitance and whose work, especially with LHR, needs to be over-looked.

That didn’t happen at Bodysmooth and though I feel the training nurse was certainly professional in all other aspects, it was her choice to leave the room and leave me in the hands of someone who needed to look up what pulse width and fluence to use in her training book (I kid you not) to perform woeful and very painful LHR on me.

And the machine was the Coolglide which is notorious for being painful anyway. Oh dear.

So my advice? If you wish to have LHR done at Bodysmooth stand your ground and insist that a trainee nurse is accompanied by a professional. Failing that just make sure the professional does the job.

I am going to write a letter of complaint to the appropriate authority and will inform you of my progress in a future post.

For the moment, I’m still looking for an alternative laser clinic for follow-up treatment.

In my experience? Bodysmooth?

Thumbs down.

In summary

lasers used: Lightsheer, Coolglide

consultation cost: free

test patch fee: free

prices - £35 per 15 minutes

Still to come: The Harley Street Group and - SHOCK! HORROR! - a return visit to another branch of Lasercare Clinics.

Part 5 coming soon!

[ April 24, 2004, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Zambo ]

Congratulations on an excellent thread Zambo, keep it going, it makes for very interesting reading - as I’m looking for a similar thing to you.

Is it just me or does it seem the UK about 3 years behind the US? - In terms of Lasers and regulation of practitioners - I can’t believe what happened to you. Also when is Aurora coming to the UK? I thought in a different thread that Lasercare were getting them.

Keep going!!

Are you going to cover Boston Clinic?
In my experience Coolglide was the least painful, although as the power increased with later treatments so did the pain. I’m comparing it to Lightsheer and Gentlelase.

I use Laser Active in the City for back hair removal and they are great. Gill, who owns it is really friendly, a fully qualified nurse who has been doing this for 7 years with the Gentlelase. I have only ever seen her, she doesn’ have anyone else. As I have Asian skin, I was a bit worried at first but I have had no problems. All consultations and tests are free and she doesn’t push you to go on for treatment. Quite the opposite in fact. She makes you wait a week after the test spots before you make up your mind whether you want to go ahead. Laser Active also have centers in Surrey and Kent. I know they dont advertise because Gill says she wants to keep it small so she knows all her clients, everyone even gets her home number in case of queries.

Deno

zambo, thanks very much for your post re:bodysmooth. i’m going back there tomorrow for a second treatment on my chin/neck. there’s no way i’m letting the trainee nurse anywhere near my face. she was there when i had my consultation a month and a half ago. as of that day, her experience was exactly nil. so far, i’ve been quite happy with bodysmooth. both the consultation and first session went very well. i got maybe 30% hair reduction, plus the re-growth has been significantly finer. i phoned them a few minutes ago to see who was going to be doing the treatment, and they said it would be the main nurse. we’ll see what happens when i come in tomorrow. thanks for the warning.

r.c.

bleh! went back to bodysmooth today. had my second treatment with the regular nurse. that went fine. then i got the bad news: she’s leaving on wednesday! i still have 6 more treatments to go! i specifically chose the practitioner, not just the establishement (though bodysmooth’s reasonable prices didn’t hurt), and now she’s leaving. i don’t know what to do. i don’t really feel like experimenting with a new nurse on my face. i might go in and get my bikini line done by her first, which i was planning on doing anyway. at least if there are scars they won’t be that noticible. anyway, i’m not all that happy with the situation.

r.c.

i thought this thread deserved to be bumped up. Im sure it will help some people over here in the Uk.

I have had experience with Laserclear in London. Good equipment (GentleLase) and good prices (well, relativley).

Downsides are - they wont give free touch ups after a week or so. I have got clearly missed areas, but they refuses to accept they are missed, but instead ‘out of synch hair’ Which i know it is not. And i think the nurse is pretty inexpeirienced… but, im satisfied overall.

Yes I have been researching Laserclear and have found several people (inc.morrisey!) who are happy with their treatment…
Where would you reccomend to go to at this rate?

What Machine do they use and What prices do you pay?

Well like i said, they us Gentlelase. It cost about £220 for chest and abs.
Although i wouldnt say im overly pleased with them, for the reasons ive mentioned already. But they are cheap…

Sorry Deno Ive just realised you said what machine they use…
The website does look uber professional…and its run by women which I feel adds a touch of sincerity!
Could you tell me some prices off the top of your head?
and how permanent have YOUR results been…what has happened from start to end?

One last thing, I hate to play the wicked witch, but you say they dont advertise? to keep it small?
what is this?
http://www.laser-active.co.uk/

Tomsk14. Morrissey’s results do not indicate whether you will have results. you really need to set up a consultation and go meet with them yourself. While there, ask what settings they are planning to use on you etc. We can help you figure out if they’re high enough for good results.

Gill used to post on another forum. Several of her clients posted as well. They all were very pleased with her clinics. If I’m not mistaken, she came to the US to train and was one of the first in the UK to use GentleLASE. She also posted in the professionals section of the forum and through her posts I could tell she was all about providing the best treatments possible.

laser active does look like a good choice, they use a good laser and at the london clinic knowing you would be treated by an experienced nurse is very appealing, so much so that i would consider travelling up from portsmouth to get treated. deno, what were the prices like?? also anyone else with experience of this centre please post.

I wrote laser active, laser clear and harley medical group emaiils.
Laser clear and Harley wrote back with ‘you’ll need to come in for us to answer those questions’
Gill, the owner of laser active, spent a good hour i would say, writing me a huge reply, asking me lots of questions, being incredibly honest and kind.
I think shes an angel and I havent even met her, a clearly dedicated, honest and hard working woman.
A rarity in this world of scams, esp. in the hair removal industry.
(except for mes belles, lagirl and dfahey, who are angels)

Hi folks,
I have two places to recommend, both in Cambridge.

The one I’ve used myself is Bodylaser. They use a long pulse Nd-Yag. I’ve had 5 sessions with them on my armpits and the hair is much reduced: I can go without shaving for a month without it looking too bad. They are friendly and I have always gone straight in to see the laser nurse without waiting. One of the nurses is particularly sweet and often remembers to ask after my partner who is an ex-customer. The only criticism is that they spaced my first few zappings only 6 weeks apart which I think was too soon. I’m now waiting longer. I’ve not had skin problems and the laser is slightly painful but I don’t have anything to compare it with really.

The other place is Cambridge Skin and Laser where my partner now goes. She started off with Bodylaser for facial hair and was happy with that but when she decided she wanted full leg treatment, realised the Nd-Yag laser would take forever as the spot size is so small. Cambridge Skin and Laser are more expensive but have a wider range of lasers. She is being treated with a Soprano continuous wave diode laser which is faster and has (for an extra £5 a session) something called the SHR mode which unlike the Nd-Yag doesn’t hurt at all - my partner reported it was just a pleasantly warm feeling. I was a bit sceptical and wondered if the power had been set too low but I can see her hairs have shed themselves after 2 weeks just like with the ND-Yag. She’s just had the one session there so far.

Both these places have websites with price lists ( http://www.bodylaser.co.uk/ and http://www.cambridgelaser.com/ ) and the treatment is done by nurses who are friendly and well-informed. The second place has more advanced kit but is more expensive - you pays your money and takes your choice I guess.

I’m glad that you are recommending places, however, I lose trust instantly when I read comments like these from Cambridge Laser website:

[color:#990000]What methods of hair removal are available? [/color]

There are a number of traditional methods of removing unwanted hair. [color:#CC6600]These include shaving, plucking, waxing, depilatory creams and electrolysis; all of which can be painful and time consuming, or only temporarily effective..(Electrolysis is not a temporary.)Lasers and intense pulsed light (IPL) systems are now the gold standard method of hair removal.(Who says?)[/color]

How many treatments are needed?

On average 3 to 6 treatments are needed at[color:#990000] 4 to 6 week [/color]intervals. (Too soon?) Money grab?)

Consumers, please beware of false information from this website. This highlighted information is just another extreme example of misinformation about what laser can do for you and electrolysis cannot. It is blatantly untruthful and I hope it is not intentional.

Dee

a couple things for syv_k:

• There are many models of ND:Yag lasers, some with large and some with small spot sizes. You’re comparing apples and oranges, i.e. what you meant to say is that a specific Yag they used on you had a small spot size. Which was it btw? If you find a place with GentleYAG for example, the spot size is 18mm on it vs 7mm on a Lyra Yag.

• If your friend can use a Soprano at effective settings without side effects, which is a diode, she might be light enough for an alexandrite too. That also means that there is no reason for her to use a Yag laser in general. Yags are less effective than the other two and are meant to be used on those who can’t handle effective settings on alex and diode machines without burning.

• After 5 treatments on your underarms, what would you estimate is the % reduction? Yes, I think the treatments were spaced too close together, so it’s a good idea to wait around 12 weeks now and get about 2 more treatments. A Yag with a small spot size can only do so much though. I would switch to another machine for those treatments, with a larger spot size.

• What other machines does the second clinic have?

• what are both of your skin and hair types?

Regarding Laseractive… I believe Gill is the head of the compnay and not the actual nurse there. The nurse that was there (up until a few months back) was trained in the US. She has now been replaced by a new nurse, Gale. I have spoken to her once, and she seems very pleasent, but hasn’t been trained in the US.
Just thought id mention it…