RJC2001 -- have you tried both an alex and a diode? question

Hi,

I have black fine hairs on light skin on my stomach and I’ve had 2 treatments with GentleLASE on it so far (16 joules, 18mm), but definitely don’t see as good of results as on bikini and underarms where hair was black and very corase. I found another place that uses LightSheer and prices seem to be even cheaper than what I pay while treatments are also performed by an MD with experience in hair removal and no commitments, just per treatment price.

Did you have a chance to compare LightSheer to GentleLASE or other alexandrite on finer black hair? Which would you say works better. I’ve actually read opposing opinions on this. Some say diodes are better and some say alexandrites are better.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have black fine hairs on light skin on my stomach and I’ve had 2 treatments with GentleLASE on it so far (16 joules, 18mm), but definitely don’t see as good of results as on bikini and underarms where hair was black and very corase. I found another place that uses LightSheer and prices seem to be even cheaper than what I pay while treatments are also performed by an MD with experience in hair removal and no commitments, just per treatment price.

Did you have a chance to compare LightSheer to GentleLASE or other alexandrite on finer black hair? Which would you say works better. I’ve actually read opposing opinions on this. Some say diodes are better and some say alexandrites are better.

Thanks.

I can compare the Lightsheer to the Apogee, which is a fairly powerful alex laser. Lightsheer wins hands down on dark fine hair. Very good results on fine chest hair long pulse width (100ms) and 45-50J. Also make sure the tech uses compression as that helps a lot! I think the Lightsheer is better than the Nd:YAG on fine hair also. But some of my skin is just too dark for the Lightsheer! I’ts a good thing my practitioner does electrolysis too.

BTW, those fluences you were treated with are very low, especially for fine hair! If that’s all the higher they can go, or are willing to go, you need to move up to a diode laser.

RJC2001

Also make sure the tech uses compression as that helps a lot!

Do you mean they should be physically pushing the laser down onto the skin? How does this help?

on another forum, both Judy and Shelby suggest that GentleLASE is better on fine hair, so I’m still deciding. Yes, we’re slowly moving up the fluences on the GentleLASE. He is a bit conservative and it works fine on my bikini and underarms since those are really pale with coarse hair, but obviously not as well on the stomach area. I am definitely switching if he won’t go up to at least 20 joules next time on the stomach. What exactly do you mean by compression?

Hi:

I am using Lightsheer currently on my arms. They are using 34 joules which is fairly intense.

I think the setting they use depends on your skins reaction. Too high a setting could actually burn you.
If the setting is high enough you should get the occasional snapping sound and some smudging on the skin surface as the hair is disintegrated. You may even smell the burnt hairs.

I had my face done previously with laser, but the hairs are very stubborn there, so I am finishing with electrolysis.

Alicia

Answer from another forum from “Licensed electrologist”:

“Theoretically a ruby would be the best. The higher the wavelength, the deeper the penetration. Ruby-694, Alex-755, Diode-810, Nd:YAG-1064. Fine hairs are more shallow. I would stick to the GentleLase, but discuss with the doctor reducing the spot size and increasing the fluence.”

[quote]Also make sure the tech uses compression as that helps a lot!

Do you mean they should be physically pushing the laser down onto the skin? How does this help? [/quote]

Yes. Compression temporarily forces the blood out of the treated area so there is less hemoglobin to absorb the laser energy. It also makes the cooling system much more effective. The laser pulses are actually less painful when compression is used.

I have found the Lightsheer used with compression, long pulse widths and high fluence to be the best method for treating dark fine hairs. The only thing that can match or better that is electrolysis, but the laser can treat more hair follicles in an hour. As the hairs get finer and lighter, the advantage of electrolysis grows.

For me, the alexandrite cannot compete with the Lightsheer on fine hairs. I would expect the ruby to be even worse. The ruby is old technology and is more likely to burn you.

RJC2001