Review: Rolling Razor

The folks at Rolling Razor sent me a package with samples of their products. I waited till my legs were good and fuzzy and then tried them out.

As background, the Rolling Razor is a two-headed shaver on a cylindrical base. You insert your index finger through the center of the cylinder and hold it between your thumb and middle finger. They have several colors designated for women: reef girl (blue), 2pink (pink), jungle jane (green), sahara adventure, and totally bronze. For men, they have desert camouflage, jungle camouflage, and silver streak (black and silver). Any guy secure in his masculinity could probably go for one of the more vibrant colors and any chick who feels tough enough could go for the ones designated for the fellas.

They also have a shaving cream and a shaving oil. The men’s eucalyptus shaving cream is pretty standard in terms of texture and smell, but the women’s pomegranate shaving cream is quite nicely scented.

I liked several things about the Rolling Razor. The curved heads were nice on concave surfaces like underarms and back of the knees. It also worked pretty well around the ankles compared to a regular razor head. The best thing about a Rolling Razor is you can go twice as long without rinsing out the blades, by flipping it over. It feels pretty good in your hand and gives a little more control in some areas.

I didn’t find it was any better on shins, calves, and thighs, though – just faster. You don’t have to be as diligent about keeping the blades at the right angle, which is a plus. Their instructions say that the Rolling Razor can be cleaned out with a couple of taps, but I would I needed to rinse it out. I found myself having a tendency to press down too hard, the number one no-no in shaving, and that I had a little more control if I didn’t drip it with my middle finger and just guided it with my thumb.

The shaving heads are very easy to snap in place from within a tray of heads. It took me a minute to figure out that each side released separately, and you have to line up both sides of each head pretty carefully to get it to lock if you pop it out before it’s dull. Since most people won’t remove a blade until it’s ready to be tossed, this isn’t a big deal.

Which brings us to the key issue: Like most shaving systems, they hope to continue getting your business through the sale of replacement cartridges. Because they are non-standard, you have to commit to their blades. If you try it and like it, that’s no big deal, but you probably won’t always be able to head down to the nearest drugstore to get replacements. You can buy accessories on their site – new heads run about $8 for 4 blades. They have regular blades, sensitive skin blades, and bump eliminator blades for those who get shaving bumps. The blades have a little comb-like ridge below each blade that can help protect the skin.

I opted out of the head-shaving option, but they have a how-to video on their site where Rami demonstrates its use. You can also watch Jason shave his face, and Nikki demonstrates shaving legs and underarms.

For those who are looking for something different, the Rolling Razor has a couple of great reasons to give it a try.

You can learn more at RollingRazor.com