Regrowth charts

We agree on our love for this forum. Finally, I found a forum in which the level of expertise of my colleagues, is very high. Shame that this forum is not Spanish. Electrology do not need the publicity, has no competition, what it needs professionals who are good … especially the work in Spain.

“…there can be three follicles growing in close proximity…”

The number of follicles we have throughout our life, is determined before birth. No increase in quantity, on the contrary, it declined slowly and progressively with age.
I have seen you mention the case of three different hairs in one follicle, but it is not a common thing, it’s very, very rare.
I do not agree with that doctor who said: who cares? cares greatly for those who do not want to be bald.
PS: I love all animals are alive, especially chinchillas.

I once asked Fino about the length of time it took to remove hair from an upper lip (this was at an AEA convention where he was showing his now famous tape with Regis Philbin). This was because he told Regis a very LOW MOUNT OF TIME (I DO NOT REMEBER THE EXACT TIME NOW AS IT WAS MANY YEARS AGO but I do remember the incident). His answer to me was, “You have to tell him something”. My reply to him was, “Yes, but it should be the TRUTH.” I lost all faith in him at that time.

I have to admit he is an EXCELLENT PROMOTER OF HIMSELF. I can not speak to his excellence as an electrologist any more than anyone else can speak of any other electrologist unless you actually see them work on a few patients over an extended time.

He started in Pennsylvania where there was no licensing at that time. He moved to NY where there is no licensing of electrologists then and I believe to this day. I never found out where he learned electrolysis or if he even went to any school for this. However,I CAN SAY, he is an excellent promoter of himself.

He speaks of having people visit him from all over the world and return every few weeks for repeat treatments. I have difficulty with that one. I also have patients from all over the world but I NEVER SAID they came only to see me. It was because my practice was in an extremely heavy college student area with thousands of students from about twenty very large schools. They were in the Boston area to go to school not just to visit me, but I TOO had patients from all over the world also. THAT IS THE TRUTH.

HE ALSO MAINTAINS HE IS A PUBLISHED AUTHOR. Anyone can do it as he has done. You just write a book and find a printer to publish it. When you pay him it will be PRINTED NOT PUBLISHED. YOU HAVE TO SELL IT YOURSELF.
THE DEMAND FOR BOOKS ON ELECTROLOGY IS NOT HEAVY ENOUGH TO WARRANT PUBLISHERS TO SEEK OUT SOMEONE TO WRITE SUCH A BOOK AND RISK THIS IN THE HOPES IT WILL SELL. THERE ARE A NUMBER OF EGO MANIACS WHO WILL DO THIS BUT IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE. THEN YOU HAVE TO SELL IT YOURSELF.

Lefty, dear, these are your words to me from the ‘Questions’ thread dated April 29,2009:

[color:#000099]"…By-the-way, if you are willing to BAD MOUTH other electrologists you have to be prepared to get it in return. If you never noticed… I never mention any other electrologist by name or city where they practice because it is UNETHICAL and NOT PROFESSIONAL…"[/color]

Now, how do you think Fino and his family would feel reading these words on an open forum??? He’s not even having a conversation with you here to warrant such mean response. I know you were responding to Andrea’s post from 2002 about his regrowth chart data, thus the topici of this thread. I’m sure his kids and wife love him, same as your family love you and it is most hurtful to discover that someone has sucker-punched a loved one. You really should be careful with your words or someone may SUE YOU for defamation. (You always bring up the word ‘SUE’, so I thought this is an appropriate situation to also mention that here.) Some feelings are better left unsaid. I don’t personally know Fino, but I feel sorry for him right now.

Well, since it has been brought up, I will restate (as it is on this board elsewhere) my biggest beef with Fino’s numbers are the fact that it is not good for the industry if everyone is expecting their local talent to duplicate his work.

People come on this site with the expectation that finding someone to do this work for them should be as easy as throwing a dart at the page in the phone book that lists Electrolysis. It takes much reading here for them to realize that this site would not exist if it were that easy.

The good thing about all this is that I can say that I have seen Fino work, and he has worked on me and what ever he tells you, he has done. Of course, since there are those who say that I am a tackling of Daunte Culpepper behind the line of scrimmage (Now there is an euphemism that will make those who get it laugh, while those who don’t scratch their heads), many won’t believe me. I do my best to point out that the reason we beg people to see lots of practitioners before settling in with anyone is the fact that your experience will be variable. This is one thing that I learned from Fino’s example. I never say that what I do is what everyone should expect, and I don’t even say that what I do is the best anyone should expect. It just seems that I am labeled a shameless self-promoter if I say that my work is better than some, and worse than few.

(…ok, I will give you a hint, Daunte Culpepper is the quarterback of the Detroit Lions… Wise man say, "He who laughs last, didn’t get the joke)

Another question to add to the regrowth pile … is there a difference between white hairs and colored hairs? The white ones seem to always come out either as telogen (clean as a whistle, right?) or with a narley rough sheath, and no bulb. How long does it take to convince a white hair to stop growing back?

One can kill a white hair with one treatment, if the treatment is done well. The difference is that white hairs are usually deeper and have a thicker growth matrix than its colored kin. (incidentally, thiamin, riboflavin and pantothenic acid are supposed to be good at keeping white hairs off your head, but you need to be sure that your Vitamin E and C levels are good first… and that you don’t smoke.)

just a question. if only 10% of your eyebrow hair is in anagen growth phase then that means that 90% of your eyebrow hairs is in resting phase? so you only see around 10% of your eyebrow hair at a time? i’m asking because I have a friend who has overplucked her eyebrows and wants to try using rogaine on them to thicken them up. any information would be helpful. thanks!!

I would strongly advise your friend not to use rogaine. Only the stronger type is effective, and it stimulates hair all over the face, not just where you apply it. Three months after using it, the stimulant effect subsides. I have had several clients who have had a very miserable time, after using this. It seems to have a very powerful effect on the area between the hairline and the upper eyebrow. The hairline virtually joins the brow.

yes, but my question was: according to these growth charts are only 10% of your eyebrow hairs growing on the surface of your skin and 90% in telogen resting phase. as in do you only see 10% of your eyebrow hairs. If you keep using rogaine then the stimulant effect will not subside and if she grows unwanted hair then it would be easy to just have that removed.

Her eyebrows will be the least of her troubles if she uses rogaine. Please do a proper search on rogaine induced FACIAL hair growth.

I had too much hair removed from my hairline by an electrologist and I had to use rogaine on my hairline. That was 5% rogaine. I did not develop a problem with facial hair growth but I also did not get much hair growth in my hairline. Just peach fuzz. I guess it depends on the person. You can do a proper search on using rogaine on eyebrows and then you will see that there are many women who are doing this. Her dermatologist suggested it because of her sparse brows. Sice this was a thread about hair growth I was just wondering what percentage of eyebrow hair are in resting/ telogen phase at any given time.
Thanks

This is one of those places where I get to say medical schools just are not doing their jobs, if the job is educating doctors to help you stay healthy. Loss of eyebrow hair, especially from the outer eye area inwards is a sign of thyroid problems, or endocrine system disfunction. The first thing that should have been done (assuming the eyebrow loss was not from overplucking the area) is to check for those problems, and tell the person how to help heal the thyroid and endocrine system.

As, for your growth question, 90% telogen, 10% anagen.
See http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8979/all/Regrowth_charts.html

Thanks for answering my question. I have already read that thread and that is why I am commenting on it. I assume that the 90% in telogen phase means that it is hair that has already shed and therefore not currently seen on the surface of the skin?

I did state that it was due to overplucking the eyebrow. She does not have thyroid problems. I was not with her at the office visit so I do not know what what tests were ran. I am currently a medical student, and no offense to you James but I think you need to have actually been at the doctors visit and have all the information before you make statements like “medical schools just are not doing their jobs.” I’m sure you would be equally as annoyed if I made statements like “electrolysis doesn’t work and it leaves scars on your skin.” There are good and bad doctors just like there are good and bad electrologists.

Actually, most doctors when asked do say something like, “Electrolysis doesn’t work and it leaves scars on your skin.”

The telogen hairs are in the process of shedding, but are still in the follicle and are visible on the skin’s surface. If there is no hair in the follicle, it is in the “exogen” state of being empty and not yet in early anagen to start the process to regrow a hair.

1 Like

Some don’t even know what electrolysis is. The ones who say it doesn’t work and leaves scars, probably have had feedback from some of their patients who had visited a below standards electrologist and the words were well earned. Some clients may have reported they were scarred when in fact, they had short-lived temporary side effects that cleared way before they saw the doctor much later for some other problem. Temporary skin manifestations are frequently mistakenly reported as scarring when it is in fact just normal healing. Doctors are mislead by patients because electrologists don’t educate the patient thoroughly about normal skin reaction, thus doctors end up not knowing what they should. If they have a Fraxel laser, then it’s all the more reason to make some money off the patient to fix the electrolysis “scarring” when in fact, it most likely would have resolved on its own anyway. Whew.

Thanks Vickie!!!
That was the information I was looking for.

In response to James comment:
"Actually, most doctors when asked do say something like, “Electrolysis doesn’t work and it leaves scars on your skin.”

That is simply not true and you must not know that many doctors to be making such bold and irrational statements.

In response to dfahey’s comment:
I agree with what you are saying about patient feedback. A doctor is usually not also an electrologist so of course there are things that they may not know about electrolysis, just like electrologists aren’t doctors and would not know how to properly diagnose patients. I do, however; disagree with electrolysis not causing scarring. I went to a very bad electrologist who not only removed way too much hair from my hairline but left scars on my forehead. It’s been two years and I still have hyper-pigmentation and pitting on my forehead and I have been taking very good care of my skin. This is not something that is going to go away on it’s own. I have now found a very good electrologist so I know that they are definitely out there. So I guess the real question is, why are there so many licensed electrologist who are “below standards”?

I HATE TO SHAKE UP YOUR WORLD, however, there are a number of subjects that require specialized schooling, state examinations followed with licensing that mandates continuous schooling to proove you maintained your education so that your license will remain valid and you should be up to date with the latest information to deliver the best care to your patients. Most lawyers did NOT pass the bar exam the first time. A significant number did not pass it the second time. To day there are more students in law school than there are lawyers in practice in this country.

There is a similar situation in medicine. All doctors did not graduate at the top of their class. Somewhere in this world there is the ABSOLUTE WORST DOCTOR IN THE WORLD, however, his patients seem to love him because they measure him by his personality, charisma, expensive suits, office decor, and the number of patients waiting in the waiting room every time you visit there. If you knew he graduated from medical school at the bottom of the class you would never return but you have no way to measure his medical ability.

We are at a complete loss to know how to size up a doctor’s ability and medical acumen, consequently, we use the only measures we have open to us which have absolutely nothing to do with medical skills. There are too many incompetent doctors, lawyers etc. but we are at their murcy. Good luck.

Electrolysis is covered by insurance if it is part of a medical diagnosis. For instance… when a woman visits a doctor for an infertility problem and she also has too much hair in male locations (belly, back, extremities, face, etc) she does not know the hair is a symptom of her hormonal problem . Also it is unethical to treat only one symptom of a condition that has 8-10 symptoms. If the extra hair is there it must be treated unless the patient refuses this. No real doctor wants to spend al day removing hair. It is not as satisfying as saving a life. Nor is it as rewarding, financially. It is still unethical for him to withhold information from you. I can understand if he said to patients,“I do not know how to do it but it can be done successfully by an experienced electrologist. I have patients who have done it.In addition, since it is part of your medical problem I will write a letter to the insurance company for you to state it is medically necessary”. THAT IS A REAL DOCTOR.

EVERY TIME YOUR DOC SENDS IN THE INSURANCE FORM TO GET PAID (THEY NEVER FORGET THIS). HE HAS TO LIST THE DIAGNOSIS with the medical code. This comes from a code book called the ICD9 code book. There is a number for every medical disorder and procedure. The diagnosis is Dx (----), the treatment prescribed is Rx (-----). All these are listed on your computer. The ICD9 is used all over the world. Blue Cross, Blue shield has their own code book with different numbers, however, all diseases are listed with the treatments. If there are more than one treatment it will be listed under the proper code. And this is how you get reimbursed.

Lefty,
I’m not quite sure whose world your shaking up. But thanks for the information as it was very informative. I’m not quite sure what your point is since we have already established that there are good and bad doctors. In the end of the day no one would work without getting paid.

This is very true…there are good and bad doctors out there just like there are good and bad people in every profession. Doctors are no different.