RED BUMPS and Insulated vs. gold probes

So why would one experience red bumps with some forms of electro and not the other? Do these red bumps always occur or does the skin eventually start acclimating to electro? I find that picoflash tends to give me smaller but redder bumps (more whiteheads), whereas blend gives my larger bumps (though not so red). 2 of these bumps have a little white hard lump in the center…can’t really tell what it is. I am not complaining tho, 100’s of hairs were treated so this is less than a 2% bad reaction. I started electro last week. Into my second treatment. Working on the face and nipple area. My electrologist is very knowledgeable. In fact, it’s quite impressive. I am a researcher and can tell she has really taken the time to study about electro.

First treatment was done with size 4 gold needle and an 11 second blend on what I believe is one of the latest Apilus models. Second treatment she tried different settings to minimize tissue reaction even further. She used a size 3 insulated probe for blend this time around and switched the blend settings a little-- I was less puffy/bumpy looking this time–but it’s hard to tell whether it was due to using an insulated needle, shorter treatment session, or less galvanic/more thermolysis or ALL THREE. I guess next time I am switching only one variable at the time.

So here are a few questions for electrologists out there:

For coarser facial hair on females ( I have really sensitive skin that will pit easily with thermolysis and I have coarse hair in some areas) are insulated probes better? Will thicker probes with blend provide a more effective treatment of the hair follicle? Also, is slow thermolysis a way of alleviating some of the side effects of faster thermolysis with higher current settings?

I am a researcher and have faith electro will work, but one must be patient and one must learn to tolerate temporary tissue reaction! it’s an invasive procedure where you are destroying tissue to inhibit growth!!! I will be posting my progress here.

hairybella asks: "So why would one experience red bumps with some forms of electro and not the other? "

[color:#6666CC]Response: Did you have the different modalities during the same session? You indicate that you just had 2 sessions so far so it might be too soon to know for sure if there will be a consistent similar tissue response. There are too many variables to give a definitive answer to this question.[/color]

hairybella asks: “Do these red bumps always occur or does the skin eventually start acclimating to electro?”

[color:#6633FF]Response: When you indicate red bumps, I suspect you mean swelling. Swelling is a reaction to all modalities and can last less or more time based on lots of variables. When people start electrolysis, yes, they may have more swelling but again, there is no definitive answer. [/color]

hairybella asks: “I find that picoflash tends to give me smaller but redder bumps (more whiteheads), whereas blend gives my larger bumps (though not so red). 2 of these bumps have a little white hard lump in the center…can’t really tell what it is.”

[color:#6633FF]Response: The bumps that last beyond swelling are most likely pimples. If they don’t clear up in a week, see a dermatologist.
[/color]
hairybella writes: “I am not complaining tho, 100’s of hairs were treated so this is less than a 2% bad reaction. I started electro last week. Into my second treatment. Working on the face and nipple area. My electrologist is very knowledgeable. In fact, it’s quite impressive. I am a researcher and can tell she has really taken the time to study about electro.”

[color:#6633FF]Response: You note that you saw 2% bad reaction. This bad reaction might be a normal reaction however tissue healing will vary based on variables like: temperature, sweating, hydration, stress, diet, hands on face, aftercare…
[/color]
hairybella writes: “First treatment was done with size 4 gold needle and an 11 second blend on what I believe is one of the latest Apilus models. Second treatment she tried different settings to minimize tissue reaction even further. She used a size 3 insulated probe for blend this time around and switched the blend settings a little-- I was less puffy/bumpy looking this time–but it’s hard to tell whether it was due to using an insulated needle, shorter treatment session, or less galvanic/more thermolysis or ALL THREE. I guess next time I am switching only one variable at the time.”

[color:#6633FF]Response: You indicate that the 4 gold @ 11 seconds blend was initial treatment and the second treatment was 3 ins. blend with various timings. There are variables missing here to make sense of the choices like - were the hairs finer during the second treatment? Were there more hairs during the first treatment and were the hairs closer together? One variable change per session is fine but the variables actually have to change within a session as intensity and timing will rarely stay constant during an entire session. However even with this attempt, you also have to consider your own internal variables such as hormonal fluctuations, hydration, sebaceous activity, diet…[/color]

hairybella asks: “So here are a few questions for electrologists out there:
For coarser facial hair on females ( I have really sensitive skin that will pit easily with thermolysis and I have coarse hair in some areas) are insulated probes better?”

[color:#6633FF]Response: If you only had two electrolysis treatments and these were only within the last 2 weeks, how do you know that you pit from thermolysis? Are you sure you observed pitting so quickly? In any event, since you indicate you have coarse hair and sensitive skin that pits easily, I suggest insulated probes with a very fast thermolysis however this should be administered by someone who has done extensive work with insulated needles. Another alternative for coarser hairs is blend which I suggest be administered with a gold probe or an insulated probe specifically manufactured for use with blend.[/color]

hairybella asks: “Will thicker probes with blend provide a more effective treatment of the hair follicle?”

[color:#6633FF]Response: There is more galvanic activity with a thicker probe and less thermolysis activity. Effective treatment is based on too many variables to give you a definitive answer.[/color]

hairybella asks: “Also, is slow thermolysis a way of alleviating some of the side effects of faster thermolysis with higher current settings?”

[color:#6633FF]Response: You seem to want a YES or NO response to your questions. Again, there are too many variables to give a one word answer which is why there are so many choices and decisions that the electrologist has to make - it is an art and a science. In response to your question about slow thermolysis and side effects, actually, there is a tendency for more and larger scabbing with slower thermolysis and I want to stress that I used the word, TENDENCY. With the faster thermolysis and higher intensities, you might only see tiny scabbing but perhaps more swelling or maybe not.[/color]

hairbella writes: “I am a researcher and have faith electro will work, but one must be patient and one must learn to tolerate temporary tissue reaction! it’s an invasive procedure where you are destroying tissue to inhibit growth!!! I will be posting my progress here.”

[color:#6633FF]Response: Since you have just had 2 treatments, it might be a good idea to check out several electrologists and see how the different set-ups and tools and techniques work best for you.

Good luck.[/color]