Razor burn

Just to clarify, in this post I am talking about razor burn, not ingrown hairs. This is the stuff that appears RIGHT after shaving, before any hair would have time to grow out and cause ingrowns. It’s like a reddish rash around certain follicles.

I have done plenty of reading about how to avoid razor burn… and I have always followed all the directions that I can, but recently I developed a bad problem with razor burn on my stomach area. Everywhere else I shave (except the bikini/genital area, but I am not as worried about that) is always free of razor burn, even without using shaving cream and just shaving with the water in the shower. For my stomach and genitals I use shaving cream.

This is my shaving method:
I use Venus disposable razors. For my stomach, I will use a razor 2-4 times and then throw it away. For my genitals, I will use a razor no more than twice (I have different razors for each area so I don’t get confused.)

I shave at the end of my shower, so my skin is warmed up and moisturized. I also use a moisturizing body scrub since I have dry skin. I apply shave cream, let it soak in for a minute or so, then rinse it off and apply more shave cream, which I then use to shave. With my bikini line/genitals, I first go with the grain, then VERY GENTLY I go against the grain because with the grain just does not cut it for those thick black hairs. On my stomach, I go very gently against the grain. I know it is not recommended to go against the grain, but I simply can’t get a close shave without doing it. Thanks to PCOS my stomach is by far the flabbiest part of my body, so I have to stretch the skin out to get a close shave, which is another no-no. However there is just no way to get rid of the stubble without doing that.

After shaving I apply a moisturizing lotion with shea butter, very gently all over my body. I then wait until the last minute to put any pants on, so the fabric doesn’t irritate the recently shaved skin.

Following all these methods-- what else can I do to prevent razor burn? I am low on cash right now but when I get my next paycheck I plan to buy some Tend Skin or perhaps another product that works in a similar way. However, I have noticed most of those emphasize INGROWN hairs which is not something I usually have a problem with. I also read the homemade Tend Skin remedy on here, but the costs work out to about the same if you have to buy in bulk, and I don’t know much about chemistry or anything. Does anyone reccomend a specific product for my problem?

And, even more importantly, what kind of home remedies can I do until I have the $$$ to splurge on some Tend Skin? I am a college student, so bear with me here. I just spent a lot of money on a Razorba and some other shaving products and I have to pay my bills so the wallet is pretty tight. Thanks.

Sounds like the problems I used to have. I am allergic to the nickel in blades. Using shaving gels, rather than creams, made all a tremendous difference for me. Water only, was the absolute worst shave for me. I used Edge gel for sensitive skin for many years, but my underarms would still break out occasionally. In the 90’s Aveeno came out with a shave gel, and as long as I use that, I never have razor burn.

Many of my clients like Tend Skin. I like it as well, but with my sensitive skin, Tend Skin is too harsh for me to use immediately after shaving.

Sorry, it is actually shave gel I use. I’m not sure why I said cream. But I did find a new product (new as in I never noticed it before) at my local CVS, and it was only $4 for a bottle. It’s called “Bikini Zone” anti-bump gel. It is too soon to see if it works in the long term but it didn’t make anything worse, at least. I also have been applying Vitamin E oil to the razor burn on my stomach and I find it’s helping it heal much faster.

Interestingly I have never had a problem with razor bumps anywhere else, such as my legs, underarms, or lower back/butt area. I do shave those areas just using water in the shower and never had a problem with it. It’s only the more sensitive areas that have the problem (my stomach, bikini line, genitals.)

Wow, I just want to recommend this Bikini Zone shave gel to other people! It seems to be working great! My stomach feels soooo smooth, even 24 hours after shaving… of course I can feel a little bit of stubble if I press hard, as always… but the skin is so smooth I don’t think you’d ever notice the stubble if you weren’t feeling for it. And the razor bumps are gone, thanks to this gel and the Vitamin E oil. It has done a great job on my pubic hair too. Ladies, check this stuff out! :wink:

It’s called Bikini Zone Anti-Bumps Shave Gel.

I got a Rolling Razor a few days ago and tired it. This is the first time my hair has grown back without any ingrown hair or razor burn

Well, if you do manage to get damage anyways… Witch hazel right after shaving has proven almost magical for me when it comes to taming razor burn and preemptive against ingrowns. Pretty much anywhere you shave.

You can make Tend Skin yourself (see http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4762/2.html)

Searching the forums, I have found that keeping your razor blade sharp helps reduce razor burn, but they go dull so fast and it’s expensive to keep changing your blades. I have found a cool product called the ecoRazo that will keep your blades sharp. Check my signature.

Another easy way to keep blades sharp is to store them in rubbing alcohol. I keep a small plastic container in the shower and just put the blade, not the handle, back in after each shave.

Really? I would think the blades would rust/dull since rubbing alcohol is usually 30% water or if you get the good stuff, still 9% water. I’m speaking of the isopropyl available in most drug stores or even Wal-Mart. You can get nearly perfectly pure isopropyl alcohol, but would have to get it from a chemical company.

Trimmed,
I’ve found my razors last at least three times longer that way. I chose the 91% alcohol option at my local drug store.

You could always use baby oil. I’ve found that helps keep my razors a little bit sharper. But I have really thick whiskers so my blades dull out much sooner than an avg persons. I have friends that I’ve told them about this technique and they don’t change razors for four months