Rash with plucking or shaving

When I pluck or shave any pubic hair I get a rash everywhere I shave or pluck. It’s an itchy rash thing that lasts for weeks and weeks. Is there any way to keep it from coming in the first place or get rid of it’s fast after it happens?

I hate having my pubes looking “unkept” so to speak but I don’t have money to get someone to remove pubic hair professionally.

Any suggestions?

try to follow the following tips when shaving

1. soak the area for 10 mins in warm water

2. use a 3 or 4 blade razor and make sure it’s in good shape (probably need to be replaced every 5-10 times)

3. use a shaving GEL (not cream). it makes the skin more soft and glides better

4. shave in the opposite direction of hair growth

I’ve always heard that with pubic hair, you should shave in the same direction as hair growth. The shave isn’t as close, but you get less bumps and ingrowns that way, though I get them no matter what I do.

If the rash comes immediately it’s possible that it’s just a result of very sensitive skin, but if it lasts that long it’s unlikely. It’s probably a condition called folliculitis, which is very common. It’s an infection of staphlococcus from the skin that gets into the openings caused by pulling out hairs. To fix it you can try these steps:

Use a new razor every time if shaving, and try not to use the razor from the infected parts of your body on other parts.
Use a topical antibiotic (batracin) every time you tweeze/shave, etc.
Wash well with an antimicrobial soap when you shower; dry off well afterwards.

If this doesn’t help after a month or two, then you might want to see a doctor and get a prescription for an antistaphlococcal antibiotic. This should kill any bugs in your system already, and hopefully reduce the chance of reinfection from the skin. Not all antibiotics are antistaphlococcal, so be sure the one you take is.

Hope that helps!