Questions, questions.

Hey guys. I have a few questions and would be ever so grateful if one of you could provide me with some answers!

1. Does anyone have any experience with organically altering their hormone levels? I have not yet been to see a doctor (I am finally cracking, so I will soon, despite the inevitable embarrassment), so in the meantime I was curious as to whether or not maintaining a high-estrogen or low-testosterone diet would help at all with hair growth.

2. I am interested in going on the pill Yasmin (for more reasons than just hair). Is there a generic version of this pill? Is Yasmin the only BC pill that might reduce hair growth? I know it works best with Spiro, but I really want to take the easiest/safest way out of this mess; I would prefer to begin at the minimum.

3. If I were to go in Spiro, would I have to take it for the rest of my life to maintain hairlessness? Or would just coupling it with LHR or electrolysis work?

4. I have read that the pill can cause MORE hair growth, and goodness knows I do not want more of that. Can this happen with any pill, or does it depend on the amount of hormones in it? Is this something that will correct itself after going off the pill?

5. I am 19. Is it possible that if I start treatment now, it will prevent anticipated hair growth? Because I am young, I am afraid it could get worse as I get into my 20s if I don’t act.

Thank you for reading, I know it was a lot. I hope this post might help some other people as well. :slight_smile:

At the risk of sounding a bit silly, I assume you are a genetic female, as opposed to a transgender male to female?

For a male to female, HRT will not stop body hair from growing per se, but can “lighten up” body hair. I don’t know many male to female transgender people who opt to have their arm or leg hair permanently removed after being on HRT for a while; they still have the hair, but it is not as pronounced as it was before HRT and more like a genetic female’s.

Although I am oversimplifying a bit, HRT can prevent beard growth, if started early enough. But once a male to female has facial hair, it will need to be permanently removed. HRT does not knock down facial hair like it can body hair.

I am not familiar with the effect of HRT/birth control on genetic female hair, but if that is the case I am sure the pros here can help with that.

You really shouldn’t be considering ANY pills at all before you see a doctor. You may not have a hormonal condition. Your growth may be hereditary. It’s just too early to think about that. You need to see a good endocrinologist who specializes in PCOS. IF you have a hormonal condition, certain medication like birth control and/or spiro can help balance the testestorone etc level, which basically prevents your body from developing NEW growth.

Yes, there are generic birth control pills for almost every brand. Your insurance carrier will be able to provide you with your options ONCE you have a prescription.

IF you have a hormonal condition and you don’t want to get touchups for the rest of your life after getting permanent removal when your body develops new growth, then you’d need to be on some type of medication to level out your hormones. Medication is a temporary fix that only works while you’re on it (though a good diet and healthy lifestyle etc can help too).

If you’re on the right medication IF you have a condition, you wouldn’t get more growth.

Yes, if a doctor determines that you have a hormonal inbalance, PCOS or another condition and you start treatment sooner rather than later, you can prevent more hair from developing that would have developed during the next 5-7 years when most women develop their hair.