Questions, please help!

Okay, I’ve decided to just shell out for professional electrolysis as I want this cleared up premanently and that seems to be the only way. I’ve been asking around and get a lot of different answers, so I have a few questions:

1)The consensus seems that to completely remove hair permanently through electrolysis can take anywhere from 15 to 24 months. That part I don’t mind, but I’m a student with a limited budget and limited time. When they say fifteen months, about how many visits is that, either per week, per month or total? I’ve read some people go as often as twice a week. Is that usually necessary?

which leads to my second question:

1. Is more time between treatments counterproductive to the treatment in general? I was thinking I’d only go say once a month or once every six weeks or so and just get a larger area treated at once. Do the treatments have to be close together to be effective? Also, for those that go often, do you just have a little area done in say 5 minutes, or do you get a larger area done?

Thanks for your advice. Sorry I haven’t replied to anyone else’s questions but I haven’t actually started treatment yet. Once I have helpful advice and hopefully some answers and success stories, I’ll be sure to let everyone know.

When they say fifteen months, about how many visits is that, either per week, per month or total?

What are you having done? How much hair do you have there? What kind of electrolysis are you getting?

If it’s just nipples, you could be doing a scattering of 15 minute visits every few weeks. If it’s your whole back (you don’t even say if you’re m or f, sorry), you’re talking about intensive amounts of time.

The method of electrolysis also depends. Thermolysis (aka shortwave) is the fastest, at one second or less per hair. Galvanic takes the longest per session (a few minutes per hair). Blend is somewhere in between. So to clear the same area, thermolysis will require shorter sessions than galvanic. But the conventional wisdom is that galvanic treatments have a higher kill ratio per hair. Thermolysis treatments get you looking hair-free faster, but thick, coarse or deep hairs may regrow and require multiple treatments.

1. Is more time between treatments counterproductive to the treatment in general? I was thinking I’d only go say once a month or once every six weeks or so and just get a larger area treated at once. Do the treatments have to be close together to be effective? Also, for those that go often, do you just have a little area done in say 5 minutes, or do you get a larger area done?

Electrolysis (or laser, too, for that matter) is only effective on hair that is in growth stage. To get them all at that stage, it’s best to go for shorter intervals more often. If you wait 6 weeks, you’ll have a lot more hair to remove (and your session will have to take longer) but many of the hairs being treated will no longer be in growth phase, so you’ll be paying for nothing with those hairs. You can still do it this way, but you will take longer to be done than the standard 12-24 month timeframe.

hope this helps,
–susie

Thanks, that does help. I’m male, early 20s, dark hair light skin. I figured I would do one section at a time, starting with neck (not beard though) down to the top of the chest/back. There are not really that many hairs there, but the ones that are are kind of coarse. Basically I want the fewest number of treatments total, so whichever has the highest kill ratio is what I would pick.

Also, I heard that you can shave a day or two before and then what grows back will be what is treated, that way hair not in the growth stage won’t be an issue. Is this true?

Thanks for the help!

I LOVE it when my clients shave 1-3 days before a treatment.
I can really identify those growers and treat them effectively the first time. The shedders are just there lurking, just barely peaking above the skin. Shaving before a treatment makes for a much more comfortable session for you, too. When we can slide the probe deeper into a growing, moist follicle, it hurts less, as oppossed to trying slide a probe into the shallow, shrunken, shedding dry follicle, which hurts more.

If you could find a practitioner that has a top of the line epilator and is skilled at doing microflash, you could get a fast and highly effective kill rate for the hairs that you describe. Other types of electrolysis are okay and will get you results,too.

Dee

I LOVE it when my clients shave 1-3 days before a treatment.
I can really identify those growers and treat them effectively the first time. The shedders are just there lurking, just barely peaking above the skin. Shaving before a treatment makes for a much more comfortable session for you, too. When we can slide the probe deeper into a growing, moist follicle, it hurts less, as oppossed to trying slide a probe into the shallow, shrunken, shedding dry follicle, which hurts more.

If you could find a practitioner that has a top of the line epilator and is skilled at doing microflash, you could get a fast and highly effective kill rate for the hairs that you describe. Other types of electrolysis are okay and will get you results,too.

Dee

3 days I figure is about right. Is 1 day enough growth to see the hair easily? I guess it depends on the individual and how fast the hair is growing.

I know the microflash delivers more comfortable treatment, but is it quicker, as in more hairs per session.

RJC2001

Maybe this will help. I am a 30 yr old male. I want to get the hair removed from my chest. I started going to an electrolysis in my area in April. I have been going for an hour each week. I did start on my neck line and have been working down. I am only down two inches from my neck. It takes time! However, I am pleased when I wear a polo shirt or v-neck shirt.

I am male getting my back and upper arms done. I’ve been going once a week for two hours for 18 months. I’m down to one hour a week now for the last 6 months. I’m doing blend modality now but I started with thermolysis. It seems that some spots on my back are stubborn(or it’s my imagination). As you can see this takes time(>2yrs.)and I have been frustrated sometimes by what I think is the lack of results. I’m not that hairy…I don’t have hair on my entire back for example, so you can see it would pay to find someone who can do the flash thermolysis if you need speed. (I don’t have that option in my area)

For those of you who have been going for six months or more, if you don’t mind my asking, approximately how much have you spent? I’m still a student, and although I want to get going with treatment sooner rather than later, if I am going to drop $2000 or more on this, it would probably be a good idea for me to wait. I don’t mind spending that kind of money, I would do it in a second if I thought I could be fully treated, it’s just that that’s a lot of money for me right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks as always.

Hi:

It depends on the hourly rates and how much there is to clear.

I am up to 6,000 dollars so far, but that is for a combination of laser(2800) and the rest electrolysis.

Since I have been getting a steal on the electrolysis I consider the money spent on that the best deal, as the results are really starting to pay dividends.I did the laser first and although it helped and was not a total waste, my face was nowhere near where it had to be.

I am thinking that I got a better rate on my electrolysis
since I had the laser done there first, plus I pay cash,
and because I am such good company for her and have interesting stories.

Alicia

What is a good hourly rate? I don’t mind paying a little extra for quality, and I’m sure it varies, but is there a ballpark for a decent electrolysist? I’m just worried I’ll shell out all that money and not get the results I want. I’ve read anywhere from $40 to $100 per hour. Does this sound right?

Thanks for the help.

Yes, that does sound right. Mostly, cost depends on what a person’s overhead might be to run an office. In my locale, hourly rates vary from $35/hour to $101.00/hour. Some perform electrolysis in their home and some are in high rent areas. National average is between $60-$70 per hour.

Keep the cost thing in the back of your mind and concentrate on the skill, equipment and general hygienic standards of the electrologist you choose. That info is all over this forum as well as hairfacts. Get consults and choose well.

Dee

What kind of certification should an electrolisyst have? What organizations, or are there more than one? If there are multiple, is one better than the other?

Thanks.

where do you live? what country? if in the US, which state?

I live in the US, Cleveland, Ohio. My biggest problem is that right now I am a student and don’t have the time or money to devote to proper electrolysis. In a year or two I will, but I really don’t want to wait. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to prevent this from getting worse? I would be getting electrolysis on my abdomen, chest, shoulders and back.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know (I’m male, early 20s).

Anyway, back to the original question, I was thinking of getting some free consults, just to see what I’m dealing with. What kind of certification should I be looking for?

Thanks as always.

Now go put that information in your user profile so people don’t have to find this specific post to know where you are if they want to help you.

Hi noone.

There are 32 states that license electrologists, and Ohio is one of them. That means, an electrologist must attend an accredited school and follow a curriculum related to the study of electrolysis that includes a licensed practical nurse level of anatomy and physiology, massage, principles of electrolysis and the actual clinical part of working on real people. The amount of time spent in school varies from state to state. In Ohio, a minimum of 600 hrs. is the standard over a year’s time. After that, one must apply for and take the a written and practical test over a period of three days through the State Medical Board of Ohio. If one passes all three tests, in addition to demonstrating with a live person the skill of performing electrolysis, then you receive a license with the title C.T., which stands for cosmetic therapist in the state of Ohio. In some licensed states the title may be L.E. or licensed electrologist.

After one receives their license they may practice electrolysis, however, to keep their license, they must meet continuing education requirements of 26 hours every 2 years in order to renew their license. This is in the state of Ohio. Other states may require more time in the classroom or less time in the classroom. After these levels have been obtained, one can take more tests through the American Electrolysis Association to add the CPE title to there state license. CPE stands for certified professional electrologist. In unlicensed states, apprenticing is a desireable, followed by taking the CPE test.

Because one has initials behind their name and a license in hand doesn’t always mean they are the top gun. This only tells you that they have met at least the minimal standards as required by their state licensing boards ( in states that require a license). You still need to judge who will get to do your job by getting several consults and having basic knowledge of what a good electrologist can and should be doing.

Since you are from Ohio, here’s a side note: Over the years, we have had at least five schools in Ohio that trained electrologists. All have closed except one. In the year 2000, nine passed the state boards, in 2001, 17 passed the state boards, in 2002, 15 passed, in 2003, 8 passed, in 2004, only 6 were licensed. When we need more well-trained electrologists, the numbers of licensee’s are declining. That translates in to a more frustrating quest for the consumer to find a person they can trust with their hair removal goals.

Dee

based on this page:
http://www.hairfacts.com/govregs/stregelectro.html from hairtell’s very handy sister site, hairfacts.com, it seems that Ohio requires a license.

for other certifications, i think cpe is a main one.

as far as how to keep your problem from getting worse, don’t tweeze or wax the area. stick to shaving (or doing nothing). other than that, there’s nothing you can do to stop it from growing in.

fyi about the free consults, don’t expect a significant amount of free work. you might get only 5 minutes worth.

Wow, thanks for your help everyone.