Questions on the effectiveness of home laser

Hello all,

I just purchased a Rio IPL home kit (I think this is a UK only product) and have a few questions. I understand the point of view that the home lasers are not strong enough to be effective, and I probably agree with that, but I am curious about a few things that don’t make sense to me.

1. If the home kits do cause shedding (it’s only been a week since I used mine so I do not have any shedding yet), then the lasers do have enough power to kill the hair itself. I assume that the point is that they do not have enough power to kill the cell structure under the hair, so the hair will eventually grow back. Below is a picture of the hair growth cycle. Now, assume that hairs grow back lighter after using the home kit. Is that because the home kit is strong enough to partially kill the cell structure under the follicle? Or, to be more precise, is the home kit strong enough to kill some of the cell structure under the follicle so that future follicles in that pore do not have full access to blood vessels underneath the follicle (thus resulting in a shorter, finer hair growth) but not killing the hair permanently?

1. I don’t really understand the process of shedding. If you kill the hair follicle, why does it continue to grow for a few weeks? And why can’t you just pluck the hair after a few days (because the laser has already done its intended damage so why does it matter if you pluck)?

Thanks so much. This is such a fantastic forum. I’m just getting started and hopefully some day I will get rid of this terrible hair and be able to contribute what I’ve learned to the forum.

The exogenous phase does not appear in this illustration. Now it is complete, :wink: :

When the follicle has been affected partly or totally, the follicle takes a few days to remove the hair it contains.
If, however, has not suffered the follicle, the hair will continue their growth if it was in a growth phase when the laser was applied. If the hair was in a resting phase, it will remain short until the follicle reached a stage of natural shedding.

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess nobody has any answers / thoughts on these questions. They seem like pretty common sense questions to me.

Oh HairyLondonGuy, I can try to answer your questions, but I hoped someone expert in laser and does not need to resort to google translator devilish system will respond.
If you’re willing to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics, that is, the chaos of my words, I’ll try, OK?.

[color:#CC0000]And why can’t you just pluck the hair after a few days (because the laser has already done its intended damage so why does it matter if you pluck)?[/color]

If the follicle has been affected partly or totally, you do not need pluck the hair. This will go out without your help. I suppose that is the way of knowing that the system has worked.
If the hair does not come out and you just have to “pull” you have to wait several weeks to regain a new chromophore, ie, a new hair root.

[color:#CC0000]Is that because the home kit is strong enough to partially kill the cell structure under the follicle? Or, to be more precise, is the home kit strong enough to kill some of the cell structure under the follicle so that future follicles in that pore do not have full access to blood vessels underneath the follicle (thus resulting in a shorter, finer hair growth) but not killing the hair permanently?[/color]

For a hair to grow thinner, a part of the follicle must be destroyed and replaced by scar tissue. The other part (the part intact, generally, the most superficial) remains healthy and is capable of producing another hair. Thus, the follicle will be smaller and therefore will produce thinner hair and less color. This is the problem related to the implementation of a low laser power or inappropriately low parameters. Transforming a thick hair in a fine hair (less color on the root), decreases the chance of eliminating the follicle permanently … unless you opt for the Electrolysis.