questions from consultation

I am interested in getting electrolysis for my upper lip area and eyebrows. I went to see 2 electrologists yesterday for consultation. #1-very nice, professional, experienced lady who explained everything to me. Did sample testing. I did not feel much pain nor the resistance when she was plucking the hair which is a good sign.
She applied aloe and cold afterwards. She uses Apilus Platinum. Don’t know what probe she used.
#2-very nice girl. <2 yrs. of experience but very informative. Charged me $20 for consult but did NOT provide sample testing. I was not very impressed by the clinic’s policies. Seemed like all they care about is money making aspect of the business and not much about client satisfaction.
I have few questions from the consult:
-From sample testing, I had some redness right after but it was gone in an hour. Next day I noticed pin prick scabs (redddish brown) on the area where hair was removed. #1 removed 8-10 hair and I have that many scabs, so pretty much at every insertion there is a scab. It is not noticeable from a distance but only up close. I am applying aloe during the day and tee tree oil at night. Is this type of scabbing normal in the upper lip area?
-She explained that if hyperpigmentation occurs then will have to take things slowly because that would mean that my skin needs time to heal. Is this true?
-#2 suggested using hot compressors vs. cold. According to her negative (thermolysis heat) & negative (hot compressor) makes positive (relief of symptoms). Is hot or cold compressor better?
-She also suggested taking Benadryl night before for histamine reduction to control redness. Is it effective?
-She mentioned about using only insulated probes and that it is very important to use these for preventing hyperpigmentation especially for clients of my skin color (south asian skin). Is this true?
Would really appreciate your responses.

I will start this by saying that there are many ways to get from Point A to Point B. As such, there are going to be differences of opinion on many things. Having said that, I would opine that your scabs may have more to do with the fact that you live in Texas and it was hot enough to make you perspire some between the time you had treatment, and the time you went to bed with your tea tree oil on. That alone would be enough to cause some tiny red dots, and/or scabs. It is really not a problem, but if you can avoid sweating in the treatment area, it is less likely to happen.

While I have heard some speak of the merits of alternating cold and hot to reduce swelling, I have always heard that as a single swelling reduction, one goes with cold, not heat. I would say that the Benadryl would help reduce swelling more than redness, as the part of the histamine response that is most troublesome to electrolysis clients is the swelling, not the temporary redness.

good work can be done with both insulated and non-insulated, but there are good reasons for using any one of the types of probes out there. Each practitioner has her or his reasons for using what they work with.

I hope some others will add their thoughts to this thread as well.

Simply put, I like electrologist number one. She has an A+ epilator.

I don’t see a need for Benadryl as related to electrolysis care. I work on women of color everyday that I work and hyperpigmentation is not a big problem as related to the act of performing electrolysis. Their skin heals beautifully as long as I do my job well with great tools and they follow good aftercare instruction.

Thank you James and Dee for your input. Helped alot.
I will keep on posting about my other consultations as well which are coming up next week.
Dee, I also liked #1 as compared to #2.

Great! We like feedback here mainly because others can peek in on your unique electrolysis experience and maybe apply it to themselves. We’ll look forward to your posts.

Dee

Interesting, would Benadryl help cut down the recovery time with fairly severe swelling (such as a male upper lip)?

Some say that this would help. I can’t say that I have seen all that much of a difference. I like the results of having the person up their vitamin E so that the circulatory system is stronger, and works with more efficiency.

Follow-up from the healing of the test area-
More than half of the scabs were gone by the 4th day. By the 6th day, the area was completely clear. No scarring, pits or discoloration:)
I used aloe a couple times during the day and tea tree oil (very little since it was causing dryness) at night for 5 days after the procedure.

I went for another consultation and the electrologist mentioned that she will use Cataphoresis after the procedure. She said that it helps with relieving redness, restoring skin’s pH and for vasoconstrictive and germicidal action.
How effective is this process?

Cataphoresis is very good for all the reasons she mentioned. It also helps to reduce swelling just a little bit.

Just one note about cataphoresis - it requires several minutes and takes time away from electrolysis treatment so I use cataphoresis rarely.

When a toner is applied to the skin after treatment, the pH goes back to the normal range. Thayers makes many toners. I have been using Thayers witch hazel for about 10 years now and it is the best witch hazel I have found. I keep a bottle of the astringent (for before) and a bottle of alcohol-free (for aftercare) on my back bar. Once you bring the pH back to the normal range, healing hastens.