Questions and misconceptions about electrolysis

Hi all,

I have been doing a lot of research lately about electrolysis and sometimes the information is very varied and often downright contradictory! So I would really appreciate if some experienced people could answer a few questions for me and clear up some misconceptions.

1. I have read about different machines and probes and my question is does it matter what machine or probe the electrolysist uses? Are there some machines or probes I should avoid?
  2. I have coarse-ish dark hair on my chin and neck. Does it matter which method of electrolysis I get? Is diathermy the best?
  3. Is the pre-treatment similar to laser? Is it recommended that I leave the hair alone for a few months prior to treatment?
  4. Should I be getting the treatment once or twice or more a week at the beginning of the process?
  5. I read on a forum that if I had plucked the hairs on a regular basis in the past that electrolysis could never work? Is this true?

I really sppreciate the help. Thx.

1. Machines and probes are only tools. It is how the electrologist uses those tools and their skill that matters.
  2. The type of hair has nothing to do with the method employed.
  3. As long as hair is present above the skin, you can start electrolysis.
  4. Treatment frequency varies according to the individual. Your electrologist will advise you.
  5. Electrolysis works regardless of prior removal methods.
  1. I have read about different machines and probes and my question is does it matter what machine or probe the electrolysist uses? Are there some machines or probes I should avoid?

[color:#3366FF]RESPONSE: The machine and probe choices are secondary. What is most important is finding an electrologist who is skilled and answers all of your questions. Since you might not be able to determine who is best, go to as many free consultations as you can and if you see that the facility is clean and you feel comfortable, get some short treatments on different areas of your face/body. Recommendations are probably your best bet but you have to start talking about hair removal with people.[/color]

1. I have coarse-ish dark hair on my chin and neck. Does it matter which method of electrolysis I get? Is diathermy the best?

[color:#3366FF]RESPONSE: Again, the modality is not the most important factor, it is the practitioner. Personally, I suggest diathermy for almost all situations but blend and galvanic are also good. You need to find someone who is highly skilled at the modality of their choice.[/color]

1. Is the pre-treatment similar to laser? Is it recommended that I leave the hair alone for a few months prior to treatment?

[color:#3366FF]RESPONSE: You can start electrolysis at any time as long as you have some stubble, enough for the electrologist to locate how the hair is growing out of the follicle and then be able to grasp the hair with forceps. Laser has many limitations and not everyone is a candidate. Unlike laser, electrolysis works on all hair types regardless of skin or hair pigment.[/color]

1. Should I be getting the treatment once or twice or more a week at the beginning of the process?

[color:#3366FF]RESPONSE: If you are not conveniently located near a good electrologist, you can visit less frequently but I suggest long appointments to get full clearances. If you live nearby, it is a good idea to visit weekly or every other week when you first start . In that way you can have those follicles treated when hairs are first beginning to emerge. Your visits will become less frequent and shorter as you progress.[/color]

1. I read on a forum that if I had plucked the hairs on a regular basis in the past that electrolysis could never work? Is this true?

[color:#3366FF]RESPONSE: Electrolysis works even when hairs have been plucked. Plucking will often cause the hairs to grow deepest in the dermis and in that situation, blend might be a better way to go. Thermolysis would be fine but you need to find someone highly skilled.
[/color]