Questions about Michaels book, and about machines

I’m a transgirl, and due to this fact and the fact I’m a single parent to an autistic little boy, it makes it nearly impossible to work.As a result I’m extremely low income, and have to carefully budget every dollar. the simple fact is there are alot of months I cant afford ANY electrolysis, and some months I can maybe do one or two.
I’ve been having laser and electrolysis done at a school here in Ottawa.I’ve had about 9 laser sessions , and maybe a dozen hours of electrolysis at this point.I’ve had extremely mixed results. For example the second time I went in, they handed me the Anode to hold onto. They hadnt done this the first time, and at the time I wasnt knowledgeable enough to know the difference, meaning I got an hour of electrolysid of strait thermolysis, in very short bursts. Thermolysis according to some of the reading I’ve done isnt all that effective on TG clients, galvanic or preferrably blend is preferred because Thermolysis tends to only get a 8-10% permanent removal rate.
I’ve also had to deal with the stream of different students working on me, with varying skill levels.This has seriously put a damper on progress and they havent managed to clear my chin of greys at this point, nevermind any of the darker hairs or anything else.The laser too has come out patchy, some areas like the right cheek at least doubly as successful as the left but still requiring some work.
I’ve been doing alot of reading here, and heeding the advice posted by the pro’s . I do have a partner who’s more than willing to let me practise on him, and learn the skill himself. I’ve been looking to purchase a machine so I can start practising galvanic, on legs/abdomen for myself, and a few on my partner who’s a transguy. HE actually only has a few stray hairs he’s willing to part with, but I’ve several other TG who are more than willing to let me practise on them so this is good news.I’ve also read Michaels quick pdf guide to blend which was exremely informative and I’m looking to buy his book. Most of this is by way of introduction as although I’ve done alot of reading here I’ve not posted before.I’m essentially looking to pick up a new skill, one that could be very useful in my own transition. Yes, I know not to try and DIY on my face but I’ve some other areas that will be more accessible to learn on

So on to my questions.The first is concerning Michaels book on the blend method. When I looked at Michaels site he recommends purchasing from one of his distributors primarily Texas Electrolysis supply. This I plan to do. However at the time I had seen his book posted on ebay, and I was also curious to find out whether amazon had it since I was looking at possibly starting with a one touch from there ( an idea I’ve long since abandoned due to comments here) . So I looked up the posting I had seen on ebay and searched amazon.To say I got sticker shock would be an understatement.the ebay listing was for $2000 ( since reduced ,but only to $300) and amazon wanted 1700 used and 2600 for a new copy! In my financial world, for that kind of money, the book better be gold plated and have robotic arms that pop out and guide you through the first couple thousand insertions. Now I note that Texas Electrolysis Supply has the book for $42, which is likely where I will order from but I’m wondering, what is with the extreme scalping on your book michael? Are these rare editions ? Thats usually the kind of markup one would see on something like a first edition Tom Sawyer, not an electrolysis guide.

The second question I had relates to machines. I’m in the market to pick up a used professional machine to practise with. I’ve actually had much better luck money wise looking on places like Kijiji than I have on ebay. I’m regularly finding Silouette tone or apilus machines anywhere from $150 to $900 and havent had many problems finding many in the 600-700 range. That’s a little out of what I wanted to spend, but the 6-700 dollar ones tend to be ones like the apilus junior or other slightly more modern machines. I’ve a couple times come accross Silouette Tone machines for 150-400, in varying models. I saw one for $400 ( a Silouette Tone st-100 the vendor unfortunately didnt respond to inquiries) but digital ones seem to be in short supply, many I am finding are older analogue ( read stereo dials and no display) , machines like Silouette Tone sb-2’s that are likely manufactued in the 60’s and 70’s. My question is is there any value with learning on such old analogue equippment, or should I wait a few months and kick in 3-400 more ( on top of the 3-500 I was looking to spend) and look at getting an apilus Junior or Sillouette Tone 328? I turned down one machine because despite being $150, i was thermolysis only.

Seana

Thermolysis according to some of the reading I’ve done isnt all that effective on TG clients, galvanic or preferrably blend is preferred because Thermolysis tends to only get a 8-10% permanent removal rate.

No. The kill rate depends mostly on the skills of the professional. I am doing most of my work with fast thermolysis and am pretty succesful and effective with that. Actually all the professionals here in Germany who are fast and efficient, work with fast thermolysis in one or the other way. The collegue who did finishing work on my own beard also works with fast thermolysis (and she uses a manual blend machine for that).

So, for DIY work, i would suggest getting a simple manual device for slow thermolysis (or maybe a manual blend machine) and concentrate on Your working technique. BTW: traditional blend is not the strength of an Apilus Junior. You would want to use it in pulsed blend mode or with thermolysis.

Michael’s book is out of print, it is well known and sought after. So, if Texas or Instrantron still have a few samples, these are the last ones. Be quick…

Do you have a link for instatron?
The information I had on success rates of thermolysis come from here:http://www.transgendercare.com/electrolysis/methods/overview_methods.htm looks like I was wrong on the success rate, it’s 5-15% not the 8-10 I had in my head. Is there anything you can add to the information presented there, or is it in some way incomplete?

That’s really a shame about the book being out of print. I’ll try and order out this week.

Seana

That’s a long post … almost as long as mine are.

That ebay thing is just NUTS! (I have, by the way, never sold a book through any on-line thing like Amazon or eBay.)

My book is not “out of print!” The original book was 368 pages and I made this into two books because the price for such a fat book would be $100. So, “the Blend Method” focuses on doing the blend method. The “Strategy for Electrolysis” book can be used by anyone using any method (it was originally part of the 368-page original book).

The only thing out-of-print is ME!

Thanks for the update Michael.I’ve appreciated reading yours, bete’s and all the pro’s posts here over the last while, it gives me a lot of insight. I come accross long winded often, and sometimes, a little abrupt, without meaning to do either ( I’m a little aspie, no wonder my son is autistic) . I’ll still try and get the book orderd out this week, because I’m a little brain starved for input. I wanted to let you know though that your contributions to this board, and to the profession of electrolysis in general, are defintely appreciated.

Seana

I am aware of that info; i read it in the early stages of my transition as well. They should update their records.

BTW: AFAIK i know there are no statistics at all on the efficiency of electrolysis in the scientific literature. All numbers are more or less “rule of thumb”, and unproven stuff like this prevents the acceptance of actual progress in electrolysis.

Please keep in mind that there are several people doing blend needing 300-400 hours on an average beard (the time needed for my face was of that order of magnitude, although a lot faster is possible) Just estimate the the number of hairs to be removed, say 40000, and 10 secs treatment time per hair (including insertion, extraction and moving to the next one), compute that into total hours and put the result in relation to actual treatment times…

You’ll be surprised how much potential to improve will be visible :wink: That demonstrates how misleading statements like the one in transgendercare actually are. Most of it is about correct insertions and proper choice of parameters.

That makes sense.

I havent heard alot of feedback on machines so I’m honestly thinking given my financial situation, to go with one of the older machines. I’ve located a Silouette Tone Blend SB2 for $150, plus about $40 for shipping putting my cost at around $200 . It’s definitely an older machine, but will do analogue galvonic blend and thermolysis. Would this be a descent machine to practise with?

If it is technically ok and possibly serviceable that might be an interesting option.

Yes, you would do well with that machine, and if it needed anything, you can still get parts and service for it.

Yes I can, especially since I’ve friends in montreal and laval isnt that far away. I bought it. Now on to help others…there are SEVERAL apilus machines for about $700 on kijiji in the quebec/ontario regions. Even with shipping it’s a deal, even if that’s slightly outside my budget these days. Sm500’s, juniors and seniors.

My Silouette Tone SB2 machine arrived today! I’m thinking the same issue some may have had with the probe holders I’ve read about may have happened to the practitioner who sold me the machine, because there were 3 probe holders included, so I’ll need to do some testing to make sure they operate correctly.

One thing that WASNT included was a manual. So if anyone happens to have one and would be willing to scan or photocopy it , it would be appreciated.

The hunt continues for probes. Looks like there are several places I can order locally in ontario.

I must have been a very good girl in a prior life…

Electrolysis partner achieved! I did some research and searching, and last night started a conversation with a young lady who has done some electrolysis and is also looking for a partner to trade off with. Unfortunately most of her experience is with the One Touch ( which I wont be using thank you very much) but I’m one step closer to starting to practise. Now to order probes, and to start some basic galvonic for practis purposes and try and hone down what settings to use on my machine since it didnt come with a manual. I’m thinking to start very low voltage and experiment up from there.

Seana

Trust me, you may have received the manual and did not realize it. The manuals for electrolysis machines are laughably inadequate. Many don’t even discuss the functions of the various buttons or pedals. The lawyers have scared the manufacturers so much about the prospect of being sued for teaching people how to do electrolysis, or use a controlled medical device that they pretty much ship you an item in a box, and say, “Hope you know what to do with this.”

This is another reason why hands on practice is needed.

Start slow with galvanic current only, (your leg is a great place to start. easily reachable and you can feel both the insertion and the feedback from your fingers as you insert) then, as you get better at making insertions and finding treatment energies, you can move up to working in blend. If you ever get really good at that, you may attempt thermolysis, but I would not recommend it. Thermolysis is the least forgiving of your mistakes.

Sounds like a plan.In fact pretty much what I had in mind. What bothers me is exactly what you say, that it’s an unknown machine with unknown controls. There’s two foot pedals for instance.I’ll assume that for strictly galvonic I use the one on that side of the machiine, but if you were doing blend do you actuate both pedals at once? Just thinking that could get awkward quickly. Then there’s the annode. For the probe it’s no issue at all, as it connects to a specific connector with a bnc-like clip. But for the annode there’s a bananna clip and three holes you could technically use, one marked + , one - and one in the back with no markings at all. Sounds like I have a little trial and error just to set it up. Think I’ll break out the voltmeter…At least it gives me something to do while I order out probes.

You are probably right that I wouldnt do much better even with the manual.

Seana

Some people just LOVE the face that the machine you have is a two pedal affair. I guess it is like people liking manual stick shift cars. One foot activates the galvanic, and the other taps out thermolysis pulses, or long shots of heat.

I just have to blurble somewhere, because I’m am one seriously happy starting electrolysist right now.

As mentioned earlier, I have been having my professional electrolysis done at a school. I have to profess I’ve had serious issues of late with them, especially related to scheduling. A little over a month ago, the last time i went in, they had overbooked.I paid for an hour, but the student was only able to give me half that as they needed the table and equippment for another client. Recently the head esthician, Nancy, had left and been replaced by another, Miss Lucita. Even on the last few times I was in, I wasnt very happy with Lucita.I didnt like her persona, and she seemed careless.
Yesterday, I had scheduled an appointment a few days prior and went in. I didnt get my appointment, as they had no supervising esthician to supervise the student. Strike 2.So I rescheduled for today.

I should point out at this point, that I send the school alot of business. I’ve talked them up in my Gender discussion group, and with my endocrinologist who has been sending them clients in droves. When I scheduled this week, there was another obvious transgirl sitting waiting for her session. They get business because of me.That I was having such issues such as I have been, frankly hasnt been acceptable. Today’s appointment was pretty much a last chance, if I didnt get in I was going looking for somewhere else to have my professional work done.

As it happened the student who was to work on me, didnt show up today. I had the head electrolysist ( the only qualified one they have left) working on me. I also changed tactics and had her work on my upper lip. She used a strait thermolysis, and was very good at it, she managed to completely clear what was on my upper lip in that hour. To be fair, I’ve had laser and it was mostly near the top. This woman seemed to love electrolysis, in fact she admitted as much. She was surprised at my tolerance and made very good progress. I discussed my problems getting in, and she admitted to me in ten years at the school she hadnt seen things as disorganized as they currently were.

She also had a non-practising student with her today. The student kept asking questions, and louise ( the head electrolysist) was surprised, when it was me who answered most of them. I explained to her I was studying myself, had purchased a machine, and was learning to do insertions. I continued to fill in some of the blanks for the student, and along the way recommended Michaels book as a learning aid, and that hairtell was a good place to read and post questions.

Because I have my own machine, and because it will now be about 2-3 months while a fresh batch of students get up to speed, I wont be attending the school for a while. To make a long story short Louise has offered to come to my home at reasonable rates, work on my face, and also teach me to do insertions properly.

I’m freaking thrilled, and now in a hurry to finish kitting out with loop and table, to accomodate this. I’m getting the best of both worlds, a currently teaching electrolysist to help me learn, and clearance on my face at a good rate.

I’d like to point out that keeping a good relationship with a electrolysis school, be it as a student or client, can really pay off especially when you are learning the trade yourself.

Seana