Question!

What can one reasonably expect from effective medical treatment of ‘idiopathic’ hirsutism? What happens to the hair I have? Will I always have unwanted excess hair or will amounts eventually become ‘normal’?

Can you be more specific about medical treatment? What has been offered to you? I know what idiopathic means, but am curious about what you know about treating too much hair medically.

The noticable hair you have now will not reduce in amount or reverse to unnoticable hair. You will need electrolysis and/or laser hair reduction. Electrolysis can treat any size hair on any color of skin and works for any color of hair. Laser is for good candidates only.

I will say that it may be possible to take medications that block the androgens that stimulate hair to grow. Beyond that, you will have to get guidance from your physician for your particular needs. If you are hormonally vulnerable, you may be looking at new hair coming forth over your lifespan.

Dee

Her therapy hormonal I’d suppose one large impropriety in order to the vocational of the electrología. When itself she manages at a woman which ail one hirsutismo of descent genetic , the impacts of the pharmacon , which you’re transitory , I’ll place at obviousness our effectiveness. The follicle which producía one hair lady-like and transparent ( invisible ), around the impacts of the pharmacon , ( and which in so far as we leave without attempt ), she’ll start to produce one hair thick and observable. She’ll seem which our work it has been one lame duck , but you’re not like this , ought give value minus density pilot on the zone.

Hi , I am a Spanish electrologyst , I take a lot of years exercising and I feel really passion for this technique. in Spain there are not many electrologysts who dedicate exclusively to work electrolysis. I am , one of these lucky. At Spain ,electrolysist does not provoke lots of interest in-between professionals , although I try to do in the nicest way in order to this changes. Thanks to Favey ,at least, I have found one place where share experiences. I wait can donate in order to enrich this page , likewise you enrich me with your knowledges. I have one serious problem , we don’t talk the same language and I have to use a instantaneous translator , thats why I apologize. Best whishes.

Your English is very passable, unlike my Spanish which consists of one word - hola. Did I spell that correctly?

Please share your electrolysis expertise here on hairtell. I think I read one of your posts on about.com That website in the hair removal section could use some serious help.

Dee

Si necesitas ayuda comunicar, mandarme mensaje. :slight_smile: Nosotros puedo entenderte, está bien!

Dear dfahey, your only one word in Spanish is perfect. Thanks for welcoming me and for the invitation which I accepted.

My contribution to electrolysis was a rigorous field study in 1996 which concludes:
Always, claims have been raised about electrolysis as being a slow, painful and expensive option. However, until now no other hair elimination system has been found to compare with, or improve the 73.2% success rate.

1.- Electrolysis is always effective, irrespective of the sex, age, race, anatomical region or type of hair.

2.- The complete elimination of the hair is produced with three sweeps of the area, allowing intervals of three months for terminal hair and more than six in fuzz.

3.- The amount of time without depilation before starting (prior to the 1st session), determines the number of the follicles to be treated and as a consequence the porcentage of elimination in the first sweep.

4.- The elimination of the follicles destroys any later hormone influence.

The follow-up was based on 43 cases which had to comply with the inclusion criteria in the trials:

1 In order to have the maximum number of surface hairs, the area should never have been depilated or least not for three months prior to the start of the treatment.
2 The person participating in the trials should agree not to use any system of depilation between sessions.

Due to the non completed hair development, people under the age of 20 were excluded from the trials as were pregnant women, people with hormone alterations and those who had consumed substances which could affect the follicle. All of these people underwent electrolysis but were nos included in the study as these special conditions hindered the objective conclusions of the results.
RESULTS

All those hairs visible to the human eye in the area after each session were taken to be the porcentage or reappaerance as compared with those present at the start of the session.

The selective damage caused to the follicles by applying a termolysis and termolysis plus electrolysis simultaneously, produced the elimination of 73.2% of the hair after the first session, 93% after the second and 99.9% following the third.

Acepto tu oferta encantada AMH, pero tengo la impresión de que vas a tener mucho trabajo conmigo, la electrolisis, Depilación Eléctrica Definitiva,o DED, como se la conoce en España es mi gran pasión. Muchos profesionales españoles piensan que soy una chiflada de esta técnica, yo prefiero definirme como una enamorada de ella. He visto que mi gran amigo FRANTERUEL (Murcia) ha participado en Hair Tell. Otro gran apasionado de la electrolisis al que aprecio enormemente. Gracias por tu ofrecimiento y gracias por la traducción. Un saludo.

Hormone therapy administered at the same time as Electrolysis, is a major inconvenience for the professional Electrolysis. When given to a woman who suffers from hirsutism of genetic origin or race, the impact of the drug in the follicles is transient (until you stop being administered). The hair that was not treated invisible becomes visible and necessary to deal with electrolysis.La conclusion it reaches the customer is an appearance of failure, not this be fair or true. I hope this time I understood better.

There are a few definitions of “IDIOPATHIC”. One is WE (doctors) do not know. Next is," I do not know". Last is, THE DOCTOR IS AN IDIOT FOR NOT KNOWING… He can always refer you to someone who is more interested in these cases (this is the ethical thing to do). BECAUSE THIS IS SUCH A COMMON PROBLEM… HE SHOULD HAVE INQUIRED AND LEARNED SOMETHING ABOUT IT. LASTLY …
he is too lazy to look it up… go find another doc.

There are many things you proclaim to be a so-called expert on, but yet have never personally experienced to know what you are talking about. Chest thumping arrogance is entertaining.

I do not understand the last two comments. It is possible that I have been misinterpreted. I apologize if so.
What I wanted to explain is that the synthetic hormones administered in conjunction with the electrolysis treatment, it confuses the customer for verifying the success of our work.
It happens often with clients especially teenagers who are prescribed hormone therapy to cure a hirsutism that does not exist (just enough to see his mother) to know it’s a genetic problem that will not be solved with pills, but with the Electrolysis. When after some time, stop hormone therapy, experience an increase in the thickness of their hair. It is a problem for us because we do electrólogyst blame when it does not. I hope this time I have understood, if not, sorry but I can not explain it better, communicating in a language different from mine is very difficult. Thanks for your patience

You are doing fine Ded10.

If the average person was more interested in learning about the body and what to put in it, many commone problems would dissappear.

As long as they take their advice from the commercials and talking heads on Television, sickness and disease will be a big business.

Thanks James, was about to give up and leave. My intention is not to annoy anyone, but make something of my experience and learn what I can. The former can dispense of the second, no.

ded10 dear,

Take no offense because nothing was directed at your comments. I can never understand most of the context of lefty’s comments. He just seems to fly out of nowhere with no relevance to the discussion at hand. You are fine. Sometimes, nice flowing threads gets muddled with thoughtless thoughts.

Love,

Dee

If you can find ANYTHING WRONG with my comments you can point out exactly how you differ. That is what this is all about. You are entitled to your OPINIONS but there should be some basis of truth, and knowledge that you base them on. Did you find any errors in my posts ? If so, I am willing to learn from you when you support any statements with facts.

I have been to lectures given by “electrolysis and laser instructors” who are not even licensed and come from states where there are minimal requirements of only a few hours of instruction to do what we do. They get paid a lot of money to teach something they know little about. I can not even imagine how poorly these under trained students perform.

By-the-way, if you are willing to BAD MOUTH other electrologists you have to be prepared to get it in return. If you never noticed… I never mention any other electrologist by name or city where they practice because it is UNETHICAL and NOT PROFESSIONAL. You can not rely on the info provided by clients ALSO, other electrologists CAN SUE YOU AS YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN THE WORK THE CLIENT IS TRYING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. ALL YOU HAVE IS THE EXPLANATION OF SOMEONE WHO BARELY UNDERSTANDS WHAT IS GOING ON.

The focus of my existence does not revolve around your comments on this hair removal website. I lose no sleep at night by what you say (when I can understand its relevance) and I would suggest that you do the same when I reply to you, whether it be directly or indirectly.

Get over it and sleep well, Harvey.

Lefty, what are you doing on this forum? Can you summarize your purpose here in ONE SENTENCE?

The rest of us reply with RELEVANT answers to consumers questions. You just pop up with irrelevant and often negative and useless comments that have nothing to do with anything.

I suggest you find another hobby.

lefty,

you know, before i click “submit” i like to read what i have wrote at least once to ensure that i don’t come off as a nincompoop.

I do not pretend to be an expert on anything, however, I look up lots of stuff right here on the internet just as you can. ANY POST I LEAVE HERE HAS NEVER BEEN SHOWN TO BE IN ERROR. I HAVE ASKED REPEATEDLY FOR ANY AREAS WHERE I MIGHT BE CORRECTED NOT BY OPINION BUT BY FACTUAL SCIENTIFIC INFORMATION. My posts are based on training, backround education from the US NAVY Hospital Corps School, college biology, college physics (this includes the study of electricity), EXPERIENCE WORKING IN A US NAVY HOSPITAL, experience derived from 10 years working as an electrologist for a Board Certified Dermatologist, and 1100 hours training in the ELEANOR ROBERTS ELECTROLOGY SCHOOL. I NO LONGER PRACTICE DUE TO MY AGE (82), HOWEVER, I DO HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE TO DRAW ON AND I BELIEVE IT HAS VALUE TO OTHERS.

YOU ARE QUICK TO CRITICIZE ME, HOW ABOUT YOUR TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE. IS IT AS EXTENSIVE AS MINE UNDER SUPERVISED CONDITIONS ?

PS… I FORGOT TO INCLUDE 25 YEARS AS A REPRESENTATIVE FOR ONE OF THE MAJOR PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES THAT IS THE WORLD LEADER IN ALL STEROID HORMONE SALES. I SOLD HORMONES (MALE AND FEMALE) TO DOCTORS IN THEIR OFFICES AT HARVARD, TUFTS, BOSTON UNIVERSITY MEDICAL SCHOOLS PLUS A NUMBER OF OTHERS. I WAS GIVEN TEXTBOOKS BY THE AUTHORS OF A NUMBER OF PROFESSORS WHO INSCRIBED THEM TO ME INCLUDING DR.T.J. FITZPATRICK, THE CHIEF OF DERMATOLOGY AT HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL AND CHIEF OF DERMATOLOGY AT THE FAMOUS MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL HOSPITAL WHO DEVELOPED THE FITZPATRICK METHOD OF CLASSIFYING SKIN FOR SKIN CANCER WHICH TURNED OUT TO BE AN EXCELLENT MARKER FOR LASER TREATMENTS OF THE SKIN FOR SKIN SURGERY.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ? (YOU ASKED FOR THIS AS I NEVER WOULD HAVE PRESENTED IT VOLUNTARILY.) CRITICISM IS FINE BUT NAME CALLING IS A SIGN THAT THE PERSON HAS NOTHING INTELLIGENT TO SAY OR THEY WOULD HAVE USED IT.