Question

I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this question. It would more appropriately fit in the hormonal issues forum, but it appears that no one posts there, unless it’s a new forum. Anyway, if it is new, I’ll post it there too.

When scoring your hairiness/hirsutism on a scale such as the Ferriman-Gallwey, from none - moderate - severe, what do you use as a gage? I mean, I was looking at the pictures it shows of how to score yourself from 0-4 and it has 4 pictures listed for each category (upper lip, sideburn and neck, chin, stomach down to pubic and inner thigh and sometimes the butt) and 0 is obvious, but for 1 it only has a couple of dots (which I guess represents terminal hair), 2 is about 5 dots, etc. What about women with full on beards, mustaches and so on? Are they like off the charts? And if you were to rate yourself from 0 to 4, what are you comparing it to? And what is considered terminal hair? If you have dark, but fine hair on your upper lip and sideburns, that can’t be seen when shaved, is it considered terminal? Or if you have dark, but fine hair on your back that can’t be seen very well when shaved or bleached, is that terminal? If you want to know if it’s terminal, do you compare it to your pubic hair?

Does anyone see waht I’m saying? One of the pictures for the sideburn and neck had about 15 dots on the face and a few on the neck. That was considered a 4 which is severe hirsutism. So if you have 15 strands of terminal hair (assuming you know if it’s terminal hair)and a few on your neck, that means you have severe hirsutism of the face?

Sorry, I’m just confused as to how one scores themselves.

Where did you find this scale? I would be interested in seeing it. Thanks

Just go to Google and type in Ferriman-Gallwey scale. Just go to the sites that list it until you find the pictures.