Question

Andrea, I was just wondering what your opinion on a truly permanent solution to unwanted hair is. Will we have this problem completely solved in a few years or will Large companies prevent a truly effective product from getting to market. I have looked at patent websites and noticed alot of permanent hair removal creams owned by large companies that just so happen to make razors as well. Most of them are owned by a company that starts with the letter G. I have also very closely followed the research of Drs. Angela Christiano, Elaine Fuchs, and some of the other companies researching “hair loss” solutions. I believe that one of these two people will find this cure. In fact, Angela Christiano is supposed to be starting clinical trials for a permanent hair inhibitor this winter with her new startup company Skinetics Bioscience LLC. This was written up many different places and here is one Article about the company that she will be starting. Sorry if I’ve already posted this before. I can’t remember if I have.
Christiano
Just wondering if you’ve ever considered contacting Dr. Christiano for an interview or anything. I check out hairsite.com every once and a while and I know they might have interviewed her at one time for her research on alopecia. I was successful in contacting her by email a couple months ago. I basically just let her know that there are just as many people that suffer from excess hair as there are baldness and there are many people rooting for her. I didn’t get into asking her questions because I didn’t think she’d answer but she did. If not, I would just like to know your opinion on Christiano. Thanks

Kyle2,

Is there anyway that you could give me the contact information for Dr. Christiano? I would like to ask her some questions and find out if the tests went well when there could be a product available to purchase.

Confusedkid89, I’ve written to her and asked all of these questions and have not gotten any answers. She has written back each time but did not offer any real answers as to when they will have something. In my opinion she did sound optimistic that they will start clinical trials soon for a hair inhibitor. If you read the article it says they hope to start them this winter. They haven’t done the tests yet on Humans. I would assume that it worked well on mice otherwise they would have no reason to start clinical trials. The cost of going through clinical trials is very expensive and they would not even be planning them if she was not optimistic. I would only contact her if you have a serious scientific inquiry or if you wish to participate in clinical trials which will most likely be in the New York area because she is with Columbia University which near or in New York City. I’m sure she is very busy and doesn’t need to be distracted from her work to respond to emails, calls, or letters that she isn’t going to give answers that to your questions. That being said. Her email address is amc65@columbia.edu. Email would be the best way to get a hold of her. I have the rest of her contact information as well but the email address should suffice. Again, I urge you not to contact her if you don’t have a truly scientific question or something that you think she will answer. I have asked all of the important questions and she has not really answered any of them. I still she think she is our best hope for a truly PERMANENT hair removal/inhibitor. When I say that I mean you rub a topical cream on whatever area and no more hair there EVER.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by kyle2:
<strong>Confusedkid89, I’ve written to her and asked all of these questions and have not gotten any answers. She has written back each time but did not offer any real answers as to when they will have something. In my opinion she did sound optimistic that they will start clinical trials soon for a hair inhibitor. If you read the article it says they hope to start them this winter. They haven’t done the tests yet on Humans. I would assume that it worked well on mice otherwise they would have no reason to start clinical trials. The cost of going through clinical trials is very expensive and they would not even be planning them if she was not optimistic. I would only contact her if you have a serious scientific inquiry or if you wish to participate in clinical trials which will most likely be in the New York area because she is with Columbia University which near or in New York City. I’m sure she is very busy and doesn’t need to be distracted from her work to respond to emails, calls, or letters that she isn’t going to give answers that to your questions. That being said. Her email address is amc65@columbia.edu. Email would be the best way to get a hold of her. I have the rest of her contact information as well but the email address should suffice. Again, I urge you not to contact her if you don’t have a truly scientific question or something that you think she will answer. I have asked all of the important questions and she has not really answered any of them. I still she think she is our best hope for a truly PERMANENT hair removal/inhibitor. When I say that I mean you rub a topical cream on whatever area and no more hair there EVER.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>

Kyle2,
It sounds like you have put some time into contacting Dr. Christiano. I too sent her an e-mail some time ago because I came across an article about her discoveries as well. She seemed very optimistic, but did not answer any of my questions. When I stumbled upon this site I noticed that her discoveries where being talked about on here as well. I would love to show my support but also have the same concerns that kyle2 has, I would hate to distract her from doing her job by flooding her with e-mails. Here is my suggestion, and hopefully we can get some good conversation going about this. I am sure that there are thousands of people who have come to this site for support and to get information on hair removal. Can we start some sort of a petition or something where we can all sign it to show our support? Andrea, or someone from this site that has a good reputation in the industry can then use that petition to send to Dr. Christiano to show how many people are pulling for her. I know this site has been very helpful to me, and I am sure it has been for others as well. If Dr. Christiano is on to something it might help if the people who need her research the most show their support. Does anyone else have any ideas that may help support this effort?

ALSO, I wanted to take the time to thank you Andrea for creating this site, you have saved me a lot of money, and it is good to know that there are more people out there with the same problem I have.

Stormer, I’ve been saying this for a while. I think its extremely important for Dr. Christiano to know there is alot of support for a cure for excess hair. The problem is that the subject is so taboo, everyone hides it and if they don’t hide it then they make a joke about it and play it off like it is not a big deal. There aren’t many people that don’t hide their hair in some way by way of removing it. I tried to ask Andrea a while back to try and get an interview with Dr. Christiano cause I thought she might be a little more receptive to someone like Andrea who is a little more respected than the average person because of this website. Maybe we ought to come up with some ideas. Any thoughts?

I am transferring colleges from the midwest to the New York area. I would really like to take part in the clinical trials and have emailed Dr. Christiano but she has never emailed me back. Should I call? I have emailed twice. any advice would be great

Mr. Strong and everyone else, I wouldn’t keep emailing her. She took a while to get back to me. I’m sure that she doesn’t want to be pestered about this. When did you email her? I will let everyone know when and if I will take place int he clinical trials. If I am to take place I will ask her how others can volunteer to participate. I have a feeling that if we are so lucky to take place in clinical trials we will only be allowed to test an inhibitor of some sort on a very small portion of ourselves. Its not like we will be able to spread it on our whole back. It is a step in right direction though and hopefully once she sees that it is effective with no side effects she will let us get rid of whatever hair we want with it. Thats all I want out of it. I know some places actually pay participants to take place in clinical trials. I would actually pay them if it came down to it and I could use it on the areas I wanted to.

Mr.Strong, I agree with Kyle2. I don’t think that I would contact her either. I think the best way to approach this is for us to continue to discuss this topic and hopefully someone with some power or influence in the industry will take notice. As Kyle2 pointed out in a previous message, excess body hair is a very delicate subject and not a lot of people are willing to come forward to admit that they have a problem. I know I try as hard as I can to cover up my excess body hair. The last thing that I want to happen is have Dr. Christiano get flustered with all the attention we may be giving her.

I would think though, that there is thousands and thousands of people out there that have come to this site for assistance and advice, someone has to have some power or influence somewhere. I’m going to continue to push this topic and hopefully someone will respond that can push this on.

Stormer, It’s almost like we need someone with a lot of money that’s willing to donate to Dr. Christiano’s research. I know she’s asked for donations at other times for different projects involving alopecia (hair loss) Here is a link to one of them: http://www.hairsite2.com/library/article252.htm

This website actually gets interviews from many researchers and hair transplant doctors working on a new technique called hair multiplication. This is exactly what we need here. Nothing has come out of it on that site but maybe we will hear what we want to hear from Christiano. I actually mentioned another website that is solely dedicated to hair removal and how we have had many discussions regarding her work. It wasn’t this forum but another one I used to post at. She wrote back in the email that she had no idea that so many people were interested in her work and that she’d have to check it out. I kinda hope she didn’t cause all there was is a whole bunch of bickering about how big business (ex. Gillette) would just bury any cure that came out for excess hair. That is the reason I no longer post on that forum. I should have told her about hairtell.

I really agree on us needing to come up with a plan to not only show Dr. Christiano that there is just as big of a market for a permanent cure for excess hair as there is for hair loss. I would also love to know if there are still plans for the clinical trials to start this winter for the permanent hair inhibitor. We NEED this.

Stormer, I also think this NEWS forum is not looked at enough. The laser one is looked at the most. It seems like the most amount of posting is done there. Its almost as though people don’t see this section.

Kyle2,

I think we are on the same page with all of this. Do you think you can post a comment to the other web page you mentioned earlier to inform people about this discussion? Is there a message board at Columbia University that we may be able to make comments on? Mr. Strong, are you in New York yet? This may be something you can find out, and we may be able to raise awareness of this conversation that way. Also, Kyle2, I agree, I think other people go to the other sections of this forum more often than this section. Lets start dropping lines in those sections to get more people in on this. Is there any other avenue you two, or anyone else can think of? Unfortunately this is the only outlet I have to discuss this topic.

Stormer,

I don’t post at that other website anymore mainly because certain people there are so against talking about it and only want to talk about laser. Most of them are scared to death of something like Christiano is trying to develop becuase it will obviously put them out of business or hurt their businesses severely. Electrologists too. There are others on that website that think big business such as Gillette would only bury something like that by buying the patent and hiding it from others. They can only do that for about 4 or 5 years which is fact and they’d be stupid to not try and develop a cream that really worked because if they did not another company would come along and would profit from it at Gillete’s expense. So in other words, the people on that website don’t know what they are talking about and are either in denial or are not very bright. You might want to try posting something on keratin.com though. There are not as many visitors as consumerbeware.com but the guy that runs keratin.com is a pretty intelligent researcher. I don’t know how in depth his research has gotten but I think he’s dabbled in the hair loss research side. You can try posting on consumerbeware but you might as well not mention my name cause they’ll just ignore you then. Let me know if you have any other ideas or make any progress.

Kyle2 –

I checked out keratine.com and that may be a good forum to spark some conversation. I can’t help but think that we are very close to a cure for excess body hair. After reading over keratine.com, I noticed that several people said Dr. Christiano is very particular as to when she releases her information, and the fact that she did reply to my e-mail some time ago gives me hope that she is even closer than we think, its just the fact that she does not want to release any info that may hurt her research. I just wish there was a way that we could show her our support because there are thousands and thousands of people out there that have a problem with excess body hair. Hopefully Dr. Christiano will find a cure, and when the time is right she will work with a company that is willing to use her discoveries to create a product that will work, and not cover it up as you mentioned. But as you stated, some people only look at how this can hurt their business rather than generate a whole new aspect of it. I still think that if we (everyone that reads this) continues to find forums such as this and keratine.com, eventually the word will spread that there are enough people out there to make this a worth while investment.