question for Fino Gior and James

Hi- It would be great if you could answer this pressing question of mine:

I have checked out a few laser places here in NYC- my requirement was that they give me a list of three people who used their services and are now hair-free for more than a year. One place did give me 3 names- one of the people said her hair grew back, one said she’s been hairless for a year and one has been hairless for 4 months. (They are also a very busy practice which gives me confidence)
based on this, I thought what i would do is, do laser on large areas, like legs, and then as the hair come back, clear them up with electrolysis (I assume they won’t all come back at once!)
So based on this, I have 2 questions:

1. Do you think this is a good idea?
  2. And, can laser effectively kill any roots, or is it ALL cosmetic? Why do the hairs come back?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

While LASER can give a quick cosmetic solution, it is my OPINION (and that’s what you asked for)that it is not worth it. My biggest reason for not going with LASER even for a quick cosmetic solution is that it really doesn’t have enough solid research results to say just what all the long term effects are for those who use it. Secondarily, those who do use it tend to see a diminishing return as hairs later grow back thicker and or lighter, if not white.

One of my clients is 28 years old, and has all white hair in the LASER treated area, and brown hair just like on his head in the untreated area.

Third, a frequent side effect of LASER treatment is a warping of the follicle that causes insertion of electrolysis probes to be more difficult and therefore treatments go slower. So you not only pay more to do both LASER & Electrolysis together in my OPINION, but you make your electrolysis work that you do, go slower in the early stages.

I know it is hard to find someone who gets as many hairs cleared in as short a time as Fino or even I do, but if one could find such service in one’s area, one would be best off to just start with Electrolysis anyway.

Today I removed two thousand hairs from a gentleman’s face. Were that your legs, you would already have bare legs from the knee to the ankles. How would that be for one day’s work?

James2000 is a lot of hairs! How long did it take you to get all those hairs? Do you count them afterwards or during the treatment?With my chest, I started with laser and am finishing with electrolysis. I am very happy with both methods. I figure you might as well benefit from the advantages of both methods.RJC2001

James,2000 is a lot of hairs! How long did it take you to get all those hairs? Do you count them afterwards or during the treatment?With my chest, I started with laser and am finishing with electrolysis. I am very happy with both methods. I figure you might as well benefit from the advantages of both methods.RJC2001

Modern Epilators track your insertions, and keep time. Some epilators even print out the information at the conclusion of the appointment. Of course, since it only tracks insertions, the final number is only an estimate, because it doesn’t count those follicles that have multiple hairs, but all hairs release with one zap, and it doesn’t subtract for the hairs you have to zap twice.

Depending on the area and other factors, (Like modality used, growth pattern of the hairs, and if the client can tolerate a fast paced treatment work rate) I can remove from 250 to 1,200 hairs per hour. My average is between 500 and 750 per hour in thermolysis. So 2,000 hairs could be removed in 4 hours or less. Now that would be Fino’s speed when he is half asleep, but it is pretty good when compared to those 100 hair per hour practitioners. Besides, Fino has about 36 more years on me. Hopefuly, it won’t take me that long to attain that average work rate.

This is why Fino and I say that if the average electrologist had speed like Fino’s, no one would consider the If’s, And’s, & But’s of LASER, because the consistent results of electrolysis would make LASER risks seem silly to hazard, everyone would look finished in 6 weeks or less anyway. This is also why most of my female clients get all targeted hair in one area removed in the first session. How many women have more than a thousand unwanted hairs on their face at any one time?