Question for a doctor or dermatologist! Moustache anxiety!

Okay, so I had dark hairs on my upper lip which I used to tweeze, then got lazy (and too embarrassed to ask for help) I started shaving my upper lip w/ shave gel. Now, I’ve stopped shaving (skin is a little bumpy) and have used Nair and a wax remover. No matter what I do, I still have a shadow, a prominent, dark moustacche shadow on my upper lip! The hair is dark when it grows, and my skin is fair…It was never this dark before I started (stupidly) shaving it. HELP! I LEAVE THE COUNTRY IN THREE WEEKS AND I’M DESPERATE TO GET RID OF IT! I don’t feel any hair, but the shadow is still there! Electrolysis? Skin lightening? What? I’m in Philadelphia and would appreciate referrals, etc…it’s so frustrating I cry about it - it seems so stupid and vain, but I feel like everyone is always staring at my moustache!

Help.

Shaving won’t make your hair darker, and it’s not at all stupid if you’re looking for a quick and temporary fix. If the dark stubble leaves your lip with a shadow, try bleaching it (hair bleaches are available in your local pharmacy). If that still doesn’t leave you confident enough, cover it up with makeup. It should conseal your upper lip hair short term.

It is, of course, better to resolve this issue permanently. It is very doable, but permanent removal is a more gradual process. Depending on your situation, you can usually clear the lip in one sitting with electrolysis. But to achieve permanently clear skin, more that one clearance is required. It is very important to find a competent electrologist and complete the treatment course.

[ May 11, 2004, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: yb ]