Question about bumps from electrolysis

Hi,

I’ve been wondering about this for a while…

I just had an hour long electrolysis session yesterday (I’ve been having electrolysis done for 3 years btw). It was on my neck, chin, side of face and eyebrows. The pain was very manageable and by the time I got home nearly all the redness had calmed down. Today, it’s hardly noticeable at all.

I notice that some treatments hurt a lot more than others, sometimes, tears are streaming down my face! When it hurts a lot, I’ll always be more bumpy and red. The bumps will last a lot longer.

Why does this happen? I always have the same electrologist treating me, and I assume she wouldn’t be increasing the current? Is it something to do with my own body? Is there anyway that I can prepare myself before a treatment to minimize the bumps and redness, or is it just random?

Sorry if that didn’t make much sense! Hope someone can explain it to me :slight_smile: Thanks!

You made sense. This is easy. Tell your dear electrolysis that it hurts a lot and can she make some adjustments. Give signals like a little moan or a slight jerk. Move your feet. Most electrologists will pick up on these clues and know that you are having trouble. They should make adjustments in the current and the intensity or timing. Maybe she will switch to a different modality. Maybe she will do some pulsing. Let her know what you said here. She cares about you and wants the best, but she isn’t a mind reader if you don’t hint or come right out and tell her you are having a difficult time with the sensation and the skin reaction.

As I understand it, the bumps are from the body’s reaction to the “injury”…or in other words a “histamine response”. In reaction to the electrolysis the body has biochemical responses that initiate healing.

I would imagine that those biochemical responses might vary from person-to-person and even in one person from day to day, depending upon many things. Those “things” could include nutrition, rest, hormonal levels and even stress…IMHO.

Hoping that helps explain it…I’m sure others will have more to say!

yuki, where do you get the most noticeable bumps? I notice I get visible bumps on certain areas and not others, particularly where the skin is more taut and less “flabby”; in particular I get them most noticeably on the lower half of the neck.

Hi,

Yes! There are definitely certain areas on my face where the bumps are a lot worse.

My neck is the worst area for me. It takes the longest to heal, sometimes a full week. I got my lip done once and it was horrible… I think it took a week and a half for all the marks to go away. Thank god I was on break at the time.

I honestly think my skin is just very slow to heal compared to most people.

I agree with this. I’ve noticed if I’m tired, stressed or haven’t eaten before I go to have electrolysis, it’s a lot worse. I guess I just have to remember to take extra good care of myself before a session.

Thank you.

I know that electrolysis hurts for everyone… so it’s hard to figure out how much pain is a normal amount, I guess.

That’s why I thought, maybe it hurts more when certain things might be making it worse, like stress, tiredness, hormones.

Can I ask, is electrolysis never meant to hurt to the point where you are moaning or jerking? I’ve always just put up with the pain because I thought it was normal. I’m not sure what settings she uses, I didn’t think she would be making it stronger…

Thanks again!

This is absolutely true. You need to have plenty of rest/sleep, stay well-hydrated, and avoid caffeine before your treatment session. Stress, dehydration, and caffeine all exaggerate the body’s inflammatory and pain reactions. I hope this changes for you. Do be certain to tell your electrologist if your discomfort is too high. They will not be offended, because they DO need to know. Good luck!

Hi yuki.

Let me say that in my practice, I am not happy to have people suffer through a session. I notice clues from clients and if they appear to be uncomfortable, I can always change things up so they get back in their tolerable zone. I am helped greatly by probe and epilator choice to accomplish effective and tolerable sessions. Other electrologists do the same, depending on what they know and what they choose to use in their offices.

I am like Dee, I am always looking for clues and asking the client if they are still comfortable. Do not be afraid to communicate with your electrologist.
I totally agree with Caith 721 sensitivity will vary due to different reasons like menstruation, how tired you are,caffeine consumption and smoking. What is very important always make sure you are very well hydrated and this does not mean to drink water a day before treatment, always have your recommended water intake daily.You will notice a big difference. Remember dehydration will cause us to increase treatment energy levels for hairs to release ,which we all know causes more discomfort.

Factors for pain/reactions for me are time of the month, caffeine, stress, hydration and exercise. The easiest appointments seem to be when I can go on a Saturday morning and I can cope with not drinking coffee before the appointment (it’s so hard for me to do this when I have an after-work appointment! I’m an addict) and have time to go on a long run beforehand! Sometimes I can barely tell anything is happening on my chin when it all lines up like that. My lip under my nose always hurts like a b*!@$ but I think that’s just the price to pay for beauty. My lady also told me I am on the more sensitive side there; we’re all different so work with your practitioner to find the best course of action for you.

From what my electrologist say, she says that because of the hair type, she has to have it at a certain level or the hair won’t come out or won’t be as effective–so she mentions to use numbing cream even though she knows it hurts. She teaches electrolysis, so wouldn’t that be someone I should trust that she knows what she’s talking about?

The bumps don’t go away easily even with all types of creams tried–hydrocortisone, aloe, benadryl, antibiotics. Electrologist says it’s common but will go away with time.

Can you post a photo of what you’re describing? Otherwise, we can’t really professionally comment on it.

Edit: As long as they resolve on their own accord, I wouldn’t worry about it.

I’ve had two clearances three months apart on my upper body now. I’ve had raised bumps of skin in between the two clearances and two months later after my second. They seem to be where the thinnest/finest hairs grew. On my arms, they tend to be in the inner elbow joint of my arms, but they’ve completely gone. They go in their own time. It looks no different really to when my legs and thighs are shaved and the hair is just growing back, raising the skin.

I guess we would all need to post a picture to get comments, but I am not comfortable with posting a picture online. They are simply red bumps of after treatments–which I am sure many of you have seen—just like everyone gets, but they take much longer than a week to heal even with creams.

It’s very confusing because one electrologist may say bumps and pains are not okay and others say it’s normal as long as the redness goes away–it can get really confusing, so I guess we all have to trust our electrologist.