Quest pharmatech

I ended up writing Quest last night to find out any new developments. I asked when they expected this product to make it to the general public and also whether or not they knew if this would be a temporary, long-lasting method or permanent.

They wrote me back today and said that they are in the process of initiating another clinical trial which should answer the questions I inquired about. The trial is anticipated for the middle of 2007.

Hmm looks like PhotoDerma will beat them to the punch then, as both companies seem to be working on the same product. PhotoDerma continues to say they will have a product ready by the end of 2007 on their website however this hasn’t been updated in some time and we still don’t know if PhotoDerma expects to have a product capable of permanent removal.
Waiting, waiting, waiting

I’m not one to believe in the conspiracy theories. I would think even if a company like Gillette was looking at this technology, I don’t think that they would bury it.

I’m not sure what the cost of Sirna’s product is going to be, but I have to assume it’s going to be expensive. Possibly more expensive than what an individual would pay for a life time of razors. Many men may choose never to use this on their face to get rid of their beards, so I don’t think they would lose that market. They probably would gain since more men and women who have used no hair removal methods for certain areas of their body may now make use of this product.

I loathe conspiracy theories in general, but not in this case. Well, it’s not even a conspiracy theory, actually. It’s just plain and simple capitalism. Companies are not here to help people, they’re here to make money. I’m pretty sure that companies like Gilette are willing to pay a lot for a patent for a product that could virtually wipe them off the market.

Besides that: I’ve been following news on permanent hair removal for quite some years now. Fact is that there is and always has been talk of a new promising product or technology. Nevertheless, practically nothing has changed. Every year there’s a new scam, every year there’s a new desillusion. The only real change has been laser hair removal. And that is not exactly a big competitor for major companies like Gilette, … , so they let it slide. But you can always keep dreaming about a miracle product coming along, of course. But it’s a bit naïve, if you ask me.

Having said this: they could of course make the product expensive enough, so that regular people stick to razors, waxing and depilation creams and only committed people buy their product. But that’s a long shot, from their point of view.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion when it comes to matters like this, but it’s almost as bad as people believing the government has a cure for cancer or AIDS and is just keeping it away from the public. Doesn’t work that way.

If Gilette really wanted to keep people away from hair removal solutions other than shaving, they would have bought up all the patents to laser or vaniqa. They certainly would have bought out little Sirna before Merck if they were concerned, or better yet Skinetics before the “secret” got out.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion when it comes to matters like this, but it’s almost as bad as people believing the government has a cure for cancer or AIDS and is just keeping it away from the public. Doesn’t work that way.

If Gilette really wanted to keep people away from hair removal solutions other than shaving, they would have bought up all the patents to laser or vaniqa. They certainly would have bought out little Sirna before Merck if they were concerned, or better yet Skinetics before the “secret” got out.

Those are very strange comparisons. Excess hair does not compare to AIDS or cancer, first of all. The consequences of AIDS and cancer are slightly more severe, wouldn’t you say? After all, excess hair is a cosmetic problem, nothing else. AIDS and cancer are not exactly cosmetic problems. If people were to die from excess hair, then the situation would change.

Secondly, as I explained, Vaniqa and laser are not competitors for Gilette at all. They’re not going to sell one depilatory or razor less because of laser or Vaniqa. Common people (with no excess hair) don’t go to a spa to get their legs/chest/… lasered and don’t use Vaniqa, because it’s simply not worth the while. But they do use a razor or a depilatory instead. Thus Gilette doesn’t mind about laser or Vaniqa. On the contrary, if they could make enough profit out of these products, they’d probably make them themselves.

Now, if there would be a product on the market that would free all people from hair for a fair price and without going through a painstaking process (eg product described above), then Gilette would be seriously in trouble and try to do whatever they can to stop that product from getting on the market. That’s not a conspiracy theory, but simple, basic capitalist logic. And after all, what profit would any company make of a product that would people make rid of their hair permanently? Then they would make no more profit, because there would be no clients at all left. You seem to think that companies think in the interest of people like us, and try to do whatever they can to help us, but they don’t. They think in the interest of their shareholders. If you think that’s a conspiracy theory, I’m afraid you’re wrong, imho.

But, as I also pointed out, there might be an “escape route” from all this, if they succeed to make a product that has a price setting that is interesting enough for committed people like us (who are willing to pay a little extra) and not interesting at all for common people, who are not bothered by their hair. The solution would be that they create a product that only appeals (by its price, for example) to that particular part of the market. Any other product would kill giants like Gilette, … . Therefor, you can still hope such a product is created. But a easy, fair priced product that is accessible for everyone? Think again. Not as long as it’s a free market (what’s in a name) out there.

I don’t believe anyone thinks this is going to be a product that is going to be something cheap you get over the counter. Sirna already stated it would be administered by a physician.

Baron,

I agree with you that a company who creates a product such as permanent hair removal is going to manufacture it in such a way as to bring them the greatest profits possible. Therefore, they would benefit from physician administered or multiple sessions required, etc… However I dont think you have any clue over what a free market stands for. A free market does not allow the formation of monopolies that can control and push their influence on other companies in order to manipulate the market. There is a huge system of checks and balances which prevents this. Now one can argue they could buy the product and then destroy it themselves. However I have already described on this website how it would not be beneficial for a company such as sirna to sell such a product to company that will not use it. This is due to the fact that a major portion of thier profit from such a sell would come from royalties and milestones in furture usage. I think the sell of Sirna Inc to Merck is a perfect example of how people are interested in permanent hair removal and how companies like gillete cannot not stop it because there are companies that have close to or has much money as proctor and gamble (owner of gillette) who are interested in bringing a product like this to the market because the demand is high enough.

I am tired of people thinking of conspiracy theories, lets focus on creating a product that actually works before we start shouting out conspiracy theories.

A free market allows companies to sell whatever product they feel the market has a high demand for. I think this is proven by the amount of companies that have jumped into the race to create a permanent hair removal product.

Amen,Mack! Well said.

“Quest PharmaTech Strengthens its Patent Protection for SonoLight Technology”

http://micro.newswire.ca/release.cgi?rkey=1412053457&view=43406-0&Start=0

This from a December 5th news announcement on Quest’s website. It seems Quest is applying for 8 patents with 6 of these patents being directed for their “Sonolight Technology.”

This includes treatment for prostrate cancer, acne, as well as hair removal. Perhaps Quest sees much success in their trials so they are making sure that intellectual property remains theirs.

good news on www.questpharmatech.com

Here’s the fullview of this news release about SLO17 Topical Gel. Thanks for the information.

"Quest PharmaTech Initiates a Fifty Patient Pivotal Clinical Trial for Cosmetic Hair Removal Applications
Trading Symbol: QPT: TSX Venture Exchange

- SL017 Receives Health Canada Clearance -

EDMONTON, Jan. 9 /CNW/ - Quest PharmaTech Inc. ("Quest" or the "Company")

is pleased to announce that it has received clearance from the Therapeutic
Products Directorate of Health Canada to initiate a Fifty Patient clinical
trial to investigate the appropriate light dose to be used with the topical
gel for cosmetic hair removal applications of its lead photodynamic therapy
(PDT) compound SL017. The Principal Investigator for the trial is Dr. Robert
Bissonnette, M.D., President of Innovaderm Research in Montreal. Innovaderm
has already received necessary ethics committee approval to recruit patients
for this trial. The trial is anticipated to be completed in six months.
Quest has already completed a Phase I study for the assessment of
histological localization of SL017 Topical Gel in hair follicles. The Phase I
study results demonstrated that the product is well tolerated with
preferential localization of the drug in hair follicles.

Note***The current trial is designed to study the combination of SL017 Topical Gel with Intense Pulse
Light for hair removal.***

Permanent removal of unwanted hair remains a considerable therapeutic

challenge. Over the past few years, new technologies have emerged for hair
removal. One of them is photo-epilation. This technology is based on laser and
other light sources emitting in red and/or near-infrared wavelength regions.

NOTEAlthough these techniques have been shown to induce permanent hair reduction,
a series of 4-8 sessions, and sometimes more, are required. In addition, this
will only achieve a 75%-85% permanent hair reduction and the use of another
technique, such as electrolysis is often necessary after the laser or Intense
Pulse Light treatment. Another main limitation of light based hair removal is
the inability to reduce the number of blond, red or white hairs.

The use of SL017 that localizes in the hair follicle has the potential to overcome these
limitations and enhance the effectiveness of photo-epilation.
Quest’s strategy is to market SL017 to Asian and Canadian consumers as an
“aid for hair removal with an approved light based depilatory system”. The
Company is in the process of registering SL017 as a cosmetic ingredient with
International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredient. The Company is also
developing an ‘over the counter’ light delivery system that will expand the
market potential of SL017. In September 2006, Quest reached an agreement with
KMH Co., Ltd. of Korea to distribute SL017 in Asia for cosmetic hair removal.
The Company is seeking strategic partners for SL017 for North America and
Europe.

About Quest PharmaTech Inc.

The Corporation is a publicly traded (TSX Venture Exchange: QPT),

Alberta-based drug development company committed to the development and
commercialization of new pharmaceutical products. It is developing a series of
products for the treatment of cancer and dermatological conditions based on
its unique photodynamic and sonodynamic therapy platform.

Note: ****Except for historical information, this press release may contain
forward-looking statements, which reflect the Company’s current expectation
regarding future events. These forward-looking statements involve risk and
uncertainties, which may cause but are not limited to, changing market
conditions, the successful and timely completion of clinical studies, the
establishment of corporate alliances, the impact of competitive products and
pricing, new product development, uncertainties related to the regulatory
approval process and other risks detailed from time to time in the Company’s
ongoing quarterly and annual reporting.

"TSX Venture Exchange has neither approved nor disapproved of the
information contained herein."

%SEDAR: 00008400E

For further information: Dr. Madi R. Madiyalakan, CEO, Tel.: (780)
448-1400 (Ext. 204), madi@questpharmatech.com, Web site:
www.questpharmatech.com

hey say that it will be marketed to consumers from canada and Asia. Is it because Canada doesn’t require to have III phase trials to market the product unlike United States?

That’s definitely some good news. In 6 months we should have a good idea how well this treatment will work.

I emailed them asking how long do they think it would take to market this product to consumers. They said they are targeting 2008. WOW:) If everything goes as planned we can have superior hair removal in a year or two. Fingers crossed!!

thanks for that hairyb.

Here is a small write up on Quest’s phase I clinical trial for hair removal. It doesn’t give any results but it “compares” their method with laser.

http://www.questpharmatech.com/sl017.htm

Anybody know for sure if the Quest clinical trials have started yet? They said six months right? Anyone know when their results will be stated?

Yes Eddy,

Trials have started. They will conclude by June they said. I tried writing them before trials started and they replied when the second trial would begin and end. I wrote them again but never got another response.

A little bit of new information that shows progress of the SL017 compound from Quest.

http://micro.newswire.ca/release.cgi?rkey=1503056628&view=43406-0&Start=0

Quest PharmaTech Closes `Over-Subscribed’ Private Placement
Trading Symbol: QPT: TSX Venture Exchange

- $960,000 in equity financing

EDMONTON, March 5 /CNW/ - Quest PharmaTech Inc. ("Quest" or the "Company") announces that further to its January 24, 2007 news release, and subject to TSX Venture Exchange approval, the Company has closed its non-brokered private placement with the sale of 9,600,000 units ("Units") for gross proceeds of $960,000, including $165,000 raised from insiders of the

Company. Originally, the Company expected to raise $800,000 (including $300,000 from our strategic partner KMH Co., Ltd.) through the sale of 8,000,000 units. However, due to an increase in demand, the Company has increased the size of the private placement. The Company still anticipates receiving an additional $1,300,000 of equity investment from KMH Co. Ltd. upon
reaching certain milestones related to commercialization of SL017 for hair removal applications.
The Company is pleased to announce that it has already achieved one such milestone by successfully registering SL017 as a cosmetic ingredient with the International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredient as well as with the Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association. In addition, the Company has registered SL017 in Canada as a new substance to allow import/export of the
chemical.
The Units under the current private placement were sold at a price of $0.10 per Unit. Each Unit consisted of one common share of the Corporation (“Common Share”) and one-half of one non-transferable share purchase warrant (“Warrant”). Each whole Warrant entitles the holder to acquire one additional Common Share at a price of $0.20. The warrants will expire 12 months from the date of issue.
The Units were issued to qualified purchasers in Alberta, British Columbia and outside of Canada in reliance upon exemptions from the applicable registration and prospectus requirements of securities legislation. The Common Shares and Warrants comprising the Units and the Common Shares issued upon
exercise of the Warrants are subject to a restricted period which expires 4 months from the date of issuance of the Units. The funds raised will be used for general corporate purposes over the coming 6 months including completion of the ongoing 50 patient hair removal clinical trial in Canada.
“I am very pleased with the overwhelming response we received for this round of equity financing. In addition, I am excited to welcome new investors into the Company including a few from Europe” said Dr. Madi R. Madiyalakan, CEO of the Company.

About Quest PharmaTech Inc.

The Corporation is a publicly traded (TSX Venture Exchange: QPT), Alberta-based drug development company committed to the development and commercialization of new pharmaceutical products. It is developing a series of products for the treatment of cancer and dermatological conditions based on

its unique photodynamic and sonodynamic therapy platform.

Except for historical information, this press release may contain forward-looking statements, which reflect the Company's current expectation regarding future events. These forward-looking statements involve risk and uncertainties, which may cause but are not limited to, changing market conditions, the successful and timely completion of clinical studies, the

establishment of corporate alliances, the impact of competitive products and pricing, new product development, uncertainties related to the regulatory approval process and other risks detailed from time to time in the Company’s ongoing quarterly and annual reporting.

"TSX Venture Exchange has neither approved nor disapproved of the information contained herein."

%SEDAR: 00008400E

Can you explain what SL017 means? Is that the permanent hair removal topical?

Can you break all this down into 5th grade terms? It sounds like they are coming up with some venture capital to move ahead on these ideas? Yes? No?