Putting Moisturizer over electrolysis scabs

Can anyone give me advice on if it is ok to put moisturizer over the electrolysis scabs? My skin is very dry around the area where the scabs are and I was just wondering if it would do any harm (make the scab scar) if I put moisturizer over the top.

Or if it is ok once the scab is more developed like day 7 for example???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do not put anything on your post treatment skin for 72 hours other than 100% all natural Aloe Vera, Tea Tree Oil, Witch Hazel, or other approved post treatments. Even the soaps you use should be all natural like African Black Soap, or pure Glycerin soaps.

If you do put so called moisturizers (most are really just oils that trap both sweat and dirt) on your skin, then you increase the possibility of infection, scabbing, abscess and therefore scarring.

Now, after the 3 day mark, you should have had your skin stabilize from using the Tea Tree Oil overnight every night for those 3 days. At that point you should have no scabs left. Certainly, 7 days post treatment you should be able to use what ever products you wish, but do try to use Aloe and Tea Tree during those first 3 days for faster healing.

Hi James,

I just have a few questions for you if thats ok:

Question 1) I didnt apply Aloe Vera, Tea Tree Oil, Witch Hazel in the first 3 days. So having put anything on my skin at this point could i just confirm it is ok to put the moisturizer over the scab as the scabs have been there for 7 days.

Question 2) So you said apply the 100% all natural Aloe Vera, Tea Tree Oil, Witch Hazel in the first 3 days post treatment. Will this prevent the scabs from appearing all-together? I have treatment on my face and my body and have always got scabs post electrolysis. If I apply these products straight after electrolysis, will this prevent the scabs from appearing and is there any chance of scarring if i do so?

I was told to just leave the scabs all-together and let them heal naturally.

Your response is much appreciated, this website is nothing short of fantastic!

At a minimum you want to put Aloe Vera on the treatment area as close to the completion of treatment as possible. Tea Tree Oil may be used before bedtime, or any time of day, but because of the scent, it is usually used only when one won’t be going out in public for a few hours. Although you can apply these products one after another, do not mix them together in an attempt to save application time.

Sine it has been a week, you can treat your skin as normal, but I would want to use the Tea Tree Oil to heal the areas where you have scabs first. Typically speaking, those who use Tea Tree Oil don’t have scabs in the first place.

If treated areas scab, then you are past that initial healing period where random products should not be applied to the non-intact skin.

If a scab does occur, then it should be kept soft so that it will slough off naturally.

Are your treatments on your face or on your body? If on your body, then Gold Bond has some great moisturizers that aren’t too heavy. If on your face, do let your electrologist know - there might be a need for adjusting the epilator settings.

Hi Barbara,

I have been having treatemnt on my face and body. The scabs on my body do not phase me. But the scabs I have on my face do as they are noticable. I dont think it is the settings that is making my face scab, i think it is just my skin as my electrologist is quiet competent.

Also you mentioned that I was past my healing period in regards to the scabs. What is the healing period when you should not put any moisturizer over the scabs (5 days for example)?

I also would like your point of view on the tea tree oil preventing the scabs occuring on the face if applied for the first 3 days. Do you think the tea tree oil prevents the scabs. The only reason I ask this as James has mentioned above is that I have seen numerous electrogist and this has never been mention to me and preventing the scabs occuring would be quiet significant to say the least for me.

Anyway this is an open subject to what anyone thinks about the scabs being prevented by the tea tree oil and other products. Has anyone had any bad experiences with these products???

First step is to talk to your electrologist about scabs forming on your face. She may be treating the follicle beyond necessity. She can make adjustments. Too many electrologists use probes that are too small for thick facial hair. A size 2 probe should not be used on coarse hair, for example. I get feedback all the time about this kind of stuff happening. Please talk to your electrologist. You cannot walk around with facial scabbing. I like witch hazel, tea tree oil and aloe vera gel AND NOTHING ELSE for my clients. It works well for those first three days. Other electrologists don’t mention this trio because they may not know. You can try it and see how it works for you. Go very easy with the tea tree oil as too much may cause prolonged redness, itching and dry skin.

Hi Natalie,

Dee has given you some good advice. Please do talk to the electrologist about this. Scabbing does occur on the body, but should be non-existent or very minimal on the face.

A scab will usually occur a day or so after a treatment. It is totally appropriate to use witch hazel, aloe vera and/or a light amount of tea tree oil immediately after a treatment. My recommendation to clients is witch hazel alone or witch hazel with a small amount of wintergreen alcohol. I know that I would want to know if one of my clients had ANY scab appear on their face after a treatment. It would mean that I would evaluate the treatment given to them so that scabbing would be avoided. My choice of aftercare does not include tea tree oil, however it has its benefits, as does aloe vera and even campho-phenic.

You wrote: “Also you mentioned that I was past my healing period in regards to the scabs. What is the healing period when you should not put any moisturizer over the scabs (5 days for example)?”

What I wrote was: “If treated areas scab, then you are past that initial healing period where random products should not be applied to the non-intact skin.” I other words, the appearance of scabs means that your body has sealed up the follicle opening to protect the skin. Scabs are a result of lymph fluid coming to an injured area and drying. To prevent the itchiness that can go with the drying-up of a scab, use something to keep it moist, such as a healing cream or moisturizer. This can be done 24 hours after a treatment if all redness and swelling is gone and scabs have appeared.