Products for facial hair removal

I bought a depilatory (nair) for facial hair removal. I have a little bit of hair on my upper lip and also hate the fine hair on my cheeks (even though it is light and blonde). Does anyone know if the creams make the hair grow back darker or thicker? I am scared to try it.

Thanks, from a first time poster…

Even though these products do not disturb the hair’s root structure, there are some that believe that depilatories and bleach, etc. can result in hair that becomes sturdier and more numerous.

Any time the skin is “assaulted” and traumatized repeatedly, the body’s response can be to grow more hair to protect the traumatized skin area. I’m talking repeated insult.

A construction worker or an avid golfer, may both get a lot of sun exposure and you may see little hairs growing on the tip of the nose. Someone who needs to wear a cast on an arm for 6 weeks will noticed that when the cast is removed, there is a big surprise. Their arm looks like a monkey’s arm with all the hair growth that appeared to protect the skin against the friction created by the cast.

So, the answer to your question is, yes, maybe. These creams can cause skin irritation, so do a test spot first.

Dee

i have a lot of facial hair that is fine peach fuzz, esp on my chin & cheeks and along the jaw line. i don’t bother with removing the fine peach fuzz on my cheeks and jawline; but i do work on the upper lip and chin. i have very sensitive skin & using bleaches & depilatory creams burned my skin. waxing was too harsh on my skin and left it red, raw and burning for a few days. so the only solution was to tweeze but i can’t imagine tweezing so much fine hair that i can hardly see. i came upon one of the posts by dfahey recommending epicare and i finally purchased it & i hv been very happy with it since. the nice thing abt epicare is that it does not damage the skin and just pulls a bunch of hair out by the roots. i did turn red but the redness subsided after abt 20 min. also, my hair did not come back darker or thicker.

I have just discovered this site and am extremely pleased. I’m the only person in my circle that has this problem and to have somewhere to go for advice and information is priceless.

I have facial hair on my upper lip, but under my chin is where the coarse hair is. Nair removal cream wasn’t effective, so I tried Veet hair removal cream. After I used it, it was then that I noticed it wasn’t for the face. Well, it worked quite well though. It left my skin smooth, but regrowth began about 2 days later. In an article on hairtell under depilatories, I saw that baby oil was listed as an “accessory.” What is it used for? After you’re done, or before? Per the previous posting I too am going to try Epicare. I watched the demo video for it, but how would you rate the pain? Does it work for coarse hair also?

Thanks
TJ

have you considered permanent removal with electrolysis? i think it’s worth the investment considering how much these temporary methods cost over a couple years.

what about laser hair removel treatment?
it’s not cheap i know, but it’s effective and a quite permanent way to get rid of stubbon hair on face.

actually, laser hair removal is not always a good way to go for a woman’s face, especially if the hair is not coarse and the skin is not very light. i wonder if you work for a laser clinic or laser manufacturer ‘lovely’ considering this is your only post.

I’ve been reading alot lately about different methods, electrolysis in particular. Its the only thing that seems permanent or close to it, b/c laser isn’t guaranteed to have any effect at all. I’m a light skinned person and my concern is will it leave my skin discolored? Is a needle really inserted into the hair folicle? Whoa.

The hair follicle is an indentation in the skin, inserting a probe/needle into it is like placing a straw into a beaverage bottle, as long as you don’t break the sides or puncture through the bottom, you have no problems.

A good electrologist will be able to provide you with trouble free skin with little or no discoloration, and any discoloration experienced would be temporary. The overwhelming majority of my clients experience nothing more than some short term redness and and maybe some temporary swelling, based on how much hair removal we do in any particular area.

TJ, I don’t know what you’ve been reading, but the unbiased opinion is that both laser and electrolysis work, but you need to choose which is right for you depending on your hair and skin type and area treated. Pigmentation problems can be an issue only on darker skin, and that applies to both laser and electrolysis, though in different ways. If you provide the area you want treated, what type of skin and hair you have (color, coarseness) etc, we can tell you what will work best. A lot of times it’s a combination of laser and electrolysis too. Most importantly, what makes a difference is a skilled technician, whether it’s a laser operator or an electrologist, who will produce permanent results and no negative side effects. If you don’t find one who is skilled, you risk negative side effects and lack of results with both methods.

Sorry I’ve been away and just posted in the referral thread. I’ve decided to go for the electrolysis, but will glady take any other insight you may have. As you requested earlier, I have a light skinned complexion (white and black heritage) and have dark hairs on my upper lip, on the chin and under it. The hairs on my chin and under it are coarser than the ones on my upper lip, but because they are dark they are prounounced. The hair is seeming to grow back alot quicker than it used to. I only use depilatories which I have to use every other day now. I am careful not to leave it on too long b/c using it so frequently I don’t want any skin irritations. Right now I’m waiting on referrals for Dallas.

E-3000 (formerly known as E-2000) is right in your back yard.

I think it is safe to say that you could have quality work done, and get to First Clearance in one appointment.

It is no wonder your hair is growing in more coarse as time goes by, chemically burning your skin every other day is a good way to increase the thickness and possibly number of hairs in the treated area. Please get started on your permanent hair removal and stop with the chemicals ASAP. Just clip or shave until 2 to 3 days prior to your appointment.

I would imagine that E-3000 could clear your face in 1 to 2 hours, but if it took longer, go for it as your reaching First Clearance in one appointment would end your desire to use depilatories, and make it safe for you to use E-3000 as your only hair removal source. If you went in once every two weeks in the beginning, you should be able to keep totally cleared each time, and the amount of time per visit will steadily decrease, and then the frequency of visits will decreast to once every 3 weeks, and then once every 4 - 6 weeks, and so on.

Thanks James. I read testimonials about E-3000 and it sounds good. Then I realized that on their official website, they give a $100 credit for good testimonials. However, they did have a few less biased reviews towards the end. It seems that b/c the clearing is usually done in the first visit based on your hair of course, the long hours it takes leaves your face swollen to the likeness of an “ape.” There’s some weeping also. Is this normal with electrolysis in general, and a few reported the swelling to last for a few weeks to a month. They do have a lot of reviews on people satisfied with the results after the initial shock of their swollen faces. Did I mention it was 105 and hour and I think that’s per electrologist b/c two work on you at a time. Then again, I guess you get what you pay for. Thanks for the suggestion, I’m going to consider this. Overall their work seems to be highly spoken of.

http://www.tsroadmap.com/physical/hair/electrology-3000.html
http://www.electrology2000.com/e3000.html

There are reviews on this place on this site. Noone on this site is paid, so they’re unbiased. Just run a search here.

A lot of swelling is really only an issue when you’re getting marathon treatments that this place is known for. People fly in to get 4-6 hour sessions. You won’t need that for your situation. It sounds pretty manageable and you will be probably cleared in under 1-2 hours. Remember, this place tends to cater to TG community, with men removing their entire beards. I’m sure you’re nowhere near there.

Laser in your case is probably not a good idea. It doesn’t sound like you have a lot of hair, and sounds like like most of the hair you have is not very coarse. So, electrolysis is your best best for your face. If you have coarse hair on your bikini and underarms, then laser would be a good solution there, given you do research here first for the best laser type and clinic for you. There are many in Texas.

The time you listed for my possible clearance really got me excited. You’ve got a good point when it comes to removing full male beards compared to myself. The funny thing is that I didn’t know this place existed until James mentioned it, but I actually pass this place on a daily basis. I’m trying to find time to go in for a consultation to get an approximate time for clearance, ask some more questions, and of course verify that hourly rate. If it works, honestly it’ll be priceless for me. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks guys.

you’ll be on your way very soon. your problem is nothing compared to full beards as you now see :slight_smile: if you could start posting about your experience in the electrolysis section of this forum, i’m sure it will be very helpful to others seekind advice. good luck.