Pro against home electrolysis

I do believe that a home user of an electrolysis device with the proper knowledge of electrolysis will do as well as a pro. I have a feeling that many pro are trying to scare people from doing home electrolysis. It is easy to understand that by doing home electrolysis you take into their bottom line $. Only parts of your body which are not easily accessible should be done by a pro or another person. For couples, husband and wife can help each other.

I for one have said frequently that two diligent individuals committed to learning what to do, and how to do it, and putting in the time and effort could do acceptable work on each other. What we all frown on most is self work done in mirrors with cheap consumer grade mail order units.

To do the best possible job, however, one must have not only the knowledge, but the equipment, and the time. One would also hope that one did not cause any permanent damage while one’s confidence is greater than one’s knowledge.

Although the expense of creating a set up like the one I use in my office would be greater than or equal to the amount of work that the average client would be having done, some people with some lesser problems can get perfect results trading work at home.

It is like auto mechanics. Anyone who is dedicated to learning how, and getting the right tools, and cutting their knuckles and breaking their fingernails can do all the repairs on their car. Most people however, figure that it is better to pay $20 to $30 to get an oil change from a service station that is done in the same time it takes to listen to a couple of hit songs on the radio, instead of paying $15 to $50 for tools and oil, followed by 30 minutes or more to do the work, while one gets dirty, and risks serious injury from a car jack failing, because most people don’t have either a hydrolic lift or an oil change pit in their home garage (just like most of you won’t be purchasing a Carl Ziess Stereo Microscope). Finally, when one is done, one must take the used oil someplace to turn it in for recycling and thus risk clothing and apolstery during transport (Used electrolysis probes/needles are considered biohazardous material and must be disposed of properly).

Many people figure the saved time and effort is worth the money, to say nothing of saving from building a cache of tools they don’t want to keep up with or will have no use for when the job is done.

Electrology is similar. Only the cost of a mistake may be worn on your face for a lifetime and the time spent learing could have been time getting work done. Furthermore, a pro should always be faster than you and your buddy.

Andrea once gave a great example of how even taking a “minimum rage” job and using the entire salary earned towards electrology still had the brave hair removee ahead of the number of hairs he or she could have had done in self electrology had he/she done self electrology instead of working the second job during the same amount of time.

Ditto what James said - and I’m quite a home electrolysis success story!

I did an economic analysis earlier which pointed out that if your after tax income is greater than about 1/10 the per hour cost of electrolysis, then you’re better off seeing a pro than doing galvanic at home. And that’s not counting the equipment cost, though the ratio changes as better equipment is used.

The main reason that I’m doing it myself is because we have kids, and getting all the electrology appointments during the day would be a horrendous inconvenience. If it weren’t for the kids, my outlook would probably be different.

One factor James didn’t mention, making the pro option less appealing: As can be seen from all the posts on the pro boards, finding a good pro is not easy, and it takes a great deal of time to be certain that the pro is doing good work. Plenty of people, including myself, find the searching and assessment process stressful. At least when you’re doing it to yourself, your mistakes are your own.

• Eric

i have tried it. it doesn’t work at all.

i will not overly believe in those fda things.

i would rather put my time and efforts on some more dangerous toys: eg. laser.

What have you tried, and how do you define having “tried” it?

If you mean electrolysis, in order to really try it, you need to clear out an area to bare and mantain the clearance with as many appointments as are needed to keep it bare over a minimum of 9 months. One should take a before picture, and follow up pics during the process. On the one year anniversary of your first treatment, take a picture of the treatment area and compare it to the original “Before” picture.

Anyone who has one treatment and gives up can’t say they have tried anything. One would only achieve permanent hair reduction with one treatment, and would not notice the difference without a before and after pic.

geek 777:
If interested read my post of May 20/04 to laceluna. Check out Fino Gior’s professional website: www.electrolysisinformation.com . Electrolysis does work, but you have to make the ultimate committment and stick with the plan to the bitter end. It won’t be easy, painless or cheap. It’s a very big decision to make and until you make that decision (if you make it) you have given yourself a learning curve to come to a better understanding of what electrolysis is all about and what it can do for you. Electrolysis isn’t for everyone. There are those who just cannot come to, or are unwilling to come to, the terms with this procedure. Those persons may want to submit to laser, plucking, tweezing, waxing, sugaring, rubbing hair off with a pumice stone, etc. etc. I’ve heard some wild and wooly stories and theories, et al. For those whom are serious about permanent hair removal, there is an definitive answer. And that is electrolysis. Some people find long term satisfaction and results with a combination of laser and electrolysis.
If you have been able to convince yourself that “this” doesn’t work, then your not ready for a permanent hair removal program at this time.
You have probably had bad/negative results and this will obviously upset you, enabling you to say “this doesn’t work!” Give yourself some space, check out the many cases of positive feedback on this website and on www.hairfacts.com. If you could find a good electrologist that you could work in harmony with, rest assured you would have a more positive outlook and experience. I wish you the best and I hope you do find success.