Préparation to first session of electrolysis

Hello everyone.
Fisrt I am French, so sorry for my English!

I’m going to have electrolysis on my chin and chest soon, and I have a few questions. I am 22 years old, I live in France, and I have black skin, sensitive, which marks (like many dark skin) and prone to ingrown hair. My hair is very curly. To avoid traumatizing my skin, I plan to do these sessions once a month:

• Do you have a product I can use to avoid ingrown hair (I am very prone to it) or tips to avoid it? Can “Kerapil” be applied a few days later?

• I wanted to use cicalfate de Avene and cicabio spf 50 as well as some aloe vera after my first session, but I heard that the zinc contained in the first creams could promote ingrown hair… Do you have other brands that you think are suitable?

• Do you think I can use a mild peeling (mask type, or mix with sallycillic acid) two weeks after treatment?

• My electrolysis (for now) use only thermomysis. She doesn’t use apilus but infiny and I haven’t heard much about this machine. Is that equivalent?

• I won’t have time to take the anesthetic cream by my first session. Do you have any tips for reducing pain more naturally?

Thank you in advance for your answers. I can attach photos if needed and share my first impression :slight_smile:

I heard reducing coffeine intake 24 hours before the session should help with the pain (but only marginally) as well as being very well hydrated. You can also take Ibuprofene, though in my opinion the one thing that helps the most is the anesthetic cream. Good luck!

1 Like

Hello , Welcome here.

To :

Do you have a product I can use to avoid ingrown hair (I am very prone to it) or tips to avoid it? Can “Kerapil” be applied a few days later?

I can´t help you there. But usual you get ingrown Hairs because Waxxing so far i know.

I wanted to use cicalfate de Avene and cicabio spf 50 as well as some aloe vera after my first session, but I heard that the zinc contained in the first creams could promote ingrown hair… Do you have other brands that you think are suitable?

Dont know what is * cicalfate de Avene and cicabio spf 50*. But you can use Antiseptic cream. Even i asked my Electrologist for use Zink Cream , she sayed its also good. You can use it Even Aloe Vera.
Also you shouldnt touch your Treated Area for a While within its healed , even avoid sun, for a while to.

My electrolysis (for now) use only thermomysis. She doesn’t use apilus but infiny and I haven’t heard much about this machine. Is that equivalent?

Dont make you so much thought about the machines.The Machines for Electrolysis last XX Years dont changed so much.Some machines have other Methods to treatr hairs. It exist pure : Thermolysis electroslis machien. or Thermolyis + Blend . Or even saw some Machines, they use just blend. Or Just Galvanic. My Machine but im not a Professional i use from EMG Flash Blend EPIGOLD i have no pure : Blend even no Galvanic. But i can use : Thermolysis , Flash, Flash+Blend , Thermolysis + Blend . But just Blend dont work there.

You must know your electrologyist use it for a reason . I mean Thermolysis , by Hairy areas like Facial hairs, Arms/legs , Pubes , Chest, Belly, Back and so far. Thermolysis need 3 Second to destroy the hair, but the success rate, if i remember right is by MINIMUM 40-60%, to kill a hair. Blend /Galvanic have a higher , sucess rate to destroy the hairs.But its slower at leas ton usual machines. By me its very fast at least Thermolysis +Blend and Flash+Blend . Make no different to pure Thermolyiss. If she would use blend for example you need 6 seconds for 1 hair. So you need more time for the area… and more to pay . So in the begin at least first 5/8++ Sessions , it make sense to go full thermolyis. If its thinned out … or 6-8 Months left (minimum), she maybe will also switch to blend .

But by some Areas , you can go Blend , for example Finger hairs and Hands hairs are not so much or Nose /ear hairs. There it make more sense to go directly Blend. Even. my Electrologist did blend , but by thin hairs , she did it by nose hairs, usual she needed 3 seconds with blend. The machine got a timer. She tweezed the hair allready and the machine did Peep sound because 6 seconds was gone than.

I won’t have time to take the anesthetic cream by my first session. Do you have any tips for reducing pain more naturally?

I readed once , Peoples have at Morning if i remember right, a more high Pain tolerance as at Daytime. Maybe a naturally way to reduce it.

Also you can ask Your Electrologist , to make Settings lower , if its to Painful for you.

Even noticed for myself , but i guess its a Weird option. I have a Very High pain tolerance but, i noticed as i went some kind of tired to the apointment. Like i sleeped few hours but, not enough. As i falled asleep by the apointment , i feeled less than usual .

I know also Maybe a Option, but im not sure About Electrolysis it work or not. I never tryed it on myself.
If you go for Laser hairremoval, they use a Cooling Pad or Cooling Lotion, cooling lotion dont work by elelectrolysi. But maybe with a cooling pad/s. But i think your electrologist dont have it, even not sure it work or not.

Maybe you could try instead of Numbing cream, before the Apointment Cooling Cream, it exist for skin against pains , like cream or cooling one for back. But honestly no clue , it will work or not.

Thank you a lot Laina and M_K!

I did the session yesterday, just the chin, I had about ten-twenty hairs. After the session, only aloe vera.

Nevertheless, even without cream, and while I’m sensitive, I didn’t hurt at all, and it’s been two days and my skin has had no reaction (no swelling, no pain…). She used low power. This lack of reaction and pain is normal in your opinion? (I thought it was needed for seen some effectivity.)

1 Like

Nevertheless, even without cream, and while I’m sensitive, I didn’t hurt at all, and it’s been two days and my skin has had no reaction (no swelling, no pain…). She used low power. This lack of reaction and pain is normal in your opinion? (I thought it was needed for seen some effectivity.)

Yes it can be Normal. Depends so much on reason.
I mean if you got few Hairs to remove not like full facial Hairs , like thousands hairs or hundreds . On a Small Area like Upper lip. The Risc to get swelling is very low.

Even i noticed by Electrolysis on Myself. That my friend/Professional electrologist used the Wrong Needle and it get swollen because of this. I know shy she used , to get it easier to destroy the Hair. Because if you use: Thickler needles. The chance to destroy the hair , is higher and also easier.

But the Problem is by me work 0,055 mm Needle on Upperlip/underlip better let say completly facial hairs very Good. But she used 0,075 mm needles . I feeled everytime , if she putted the needle in the Hairfolicle. And after the treatments by her by Upperlip was swollen, i had no pain really. Just looked awful for a while.

I did sicne i got my Own Machien since arround2 months, i did 3 x Clearance there. Even on throat… nose…hands…even did some arms/legs .

I never had my Areas Swollen with the thinner needles, even doesnt feeled the needle go inside the Hairfolicle. Sometimes if i treat myself , but its because the strength is a bit too high for a hair. And it start to blood some. But usual within it stop , some minutes are gone. Even usual like treated some red dots , but no swollen area.

1 Like

I’ve always felt pain during my sessions ; I just think I have a low pain tolerance level as even sessions on my thighs hurt some (while it is said those aren’t overly sensitive areas). The upper lip zone done yesterday had me crying, haha.

I don’t know about the efficiency of your session, I guess you’ll just have to see the progress through the coming weeks!

I’ve always felt pain during my sessions ; I just think I have a low pain tolerance level as even sessions on my thighs hurt some (while it is said those aren’t overly sensitive areas). The upper lip zone done yesterday had me crying, haha.

Doesnt have to Mean you have a Low Pain Tolerance. I have a Very High one. Let me Say i use my Professional Electrolysis Machine on facial hairs kinda on Maximum Settings. And on my Cheeks/Throat/chin Hairs , i Kinda fall asleep. Because i feel no Pain. Its boring to remove the hairs. Hard to stay Awake by doing it.

But Upper Lip is a Sensitive Area Even by me. But sensitive in 2 Things.

1. You feel more Pain , i mean by me its not like its horrible like 10 of 10, but like 6 of 10 . Throat is /chin is like 0 -2 for me of 10.
  2. On the Mustache /mutache, i dont know how it called at least the area under the Nose. Is very Sensitive, i mean if you treat it , your Nose is Running or you start to sneeze.

But i readed general this Areas is Most sensitve.

by Laser Hairremoval with Alexadrit , i had same experience . Chin/Throat/cheeks, i need no cooling, i feel kinda no pain. But Upperlip/underlip /close to the lips) is horrible.