Possible Career Change

I’ve been perusing your site for a while, lots of nice people here being really helpful. I am a 40 something Mom who has been staying home with the kids for a while and I think that becoming an Electrologist is something that I would really have the passion for (issues myself) once the kids are in school. I will purchase the Bono book and look for some equipment to try at home. I live in Texas, so getting to a school will be hard, but at least the requirements aren’t as extensive. I have two questions regarding this field:

1. Do you think that there will always be a market for this? (I am concerned that laser will finally find a way around the dark skin/freckles/light hair issues.)
  2. How long do you think the average person can do this in regards to age? (Since I’m already older, I’m worrying about the eyesight/dexterity going out on me as I age…)

Thanks!

Hi Nelly,

In reference to your questions:

1. Will there always be a market for electrolysis, you ask.
    We can’t determine the future but for now we do know that lasers for hair removal target whatever is dark. Lasers also target large areas so electrologists are still in demand.

2. You ask if a person can do this at any age. Age is not the issue. I have tried to train 25 year olds who could not get the basic hand skills down and then there are 40 year olds who develop the skills very quickly. If your eyesight fails, get optics that help you see. If you don’t have a steady hand, well, then, you have to give up administering treatment.

In any event, it is not enough to read a book and become an electrologist. You need to develop the skills under the guidance of a teacher and get your certification from a school so that you can get your malpractice and liability coverage. Without the formal education, an insurance company will not cover you.

Contact the Texas Association of Professional Electrologists at the link below.
Speak with the officers, letting them know that you have an interest, questions, and concerns.

http://www.texaselectrology.com/

All the best,

Little can be added to the wise comment of Arlene, but I would say that:

The future of Electrolysis is firmly secured by high consumer demand.
The client who is lucky enough to know the results of the Electrolysis expect to see those same results in the laser treatment. With few exceptions, this customer will usually have an unpleasant disappointment in their expectation.

The future of Electrolysis, also depends on the manufacturers of the machines. If they do not invest time and money on research to improve equipment, Electrolysis has no chance. That is exactly what is happening in my country.
It seems that the needs of MILLIONS of people unsuitable for laser, not a reason ENOUGH to motivate the Spanish manufacturers.

The lady who trained me ( Frances Godfrey ) one of the founding members of The Institute of Electrolysis UK finally stopped seeing clients at the age of 90 years. She is still incredibly healthy and just reached 102. So, if you remain healthy, there is no need to worry about a huge retirement fund ! Visual aids are always improving.

Nice Nelly: I say go for it! You should be able to manage eyesight problems (even young people struggle with that), and it’s (hopefully) a ways off before you start losing coordination, if ever.

You can’t let that scare you away. Otherwise people in their forties would have to give up all other pursuits like painting or sewing, or playing an instrument. And they don’t, right? So you don’t need to either. :slight_smile:

People need more understanding electrologists to help them through embarrassing times, and I think that in the foreseeable future there will be a market for it. Most likely at least for a couple of decades.

While I used to think our work burned out our eyesight, I have come to the realization that it is only our reduced immunity and nutritional support that makes the work that we do overtax our infeabled systems. Fix the weakened support system, and you fix the problems with eyes, joints, and almost anything else.

At a minimum, and electrolysis provider would have to be sure to have enough Vitamin A and Betacarotine. It would not mater if it came from food or supplements, as long as enough was inside of them on a daily basis.

I am a big fan of Bolthouse Farms fruit smoothies. I buy several kinds at the grocery store and keep them in the refrigerator at work. Since eating is crowded out by the demand for continuous work, a quick 4 oz. of the Mango, Acerola Cherries and apples concoction gives me an immunity boost. Couple that with a handful of walnuts or almonds and I recharge my battery quite well and get a good nutrient punch to keep me zapping along. I prefer to get my vitamins through good food and hopefully this will truly give added protection to my eyesight and keep my hands steady. Seems to work so far.

Dee

Dee, your diet is very complete. It only takes a little (very little) of Sun and a touch of Mediterranean diet. A good sardines typical of the Malaga coast.
http://www.turispain.com/espeto-de-sardinas-del-litoral-malague%F1o.html?doc301