Pore Markers & Dyes for vellus (non-pigmented hairs)?

Hi, I’d like your opinion on some pore markers/dyes that members have mentioned:

Arlene Batz:

“There is a Pore-Marker product that some electrologists use when they have trouble seeing very fine nonpigmented hairs. After treatment, it washes away with water.”

“She actually did use on of those hair finding markers, I believe it was green, b/c I insisted I wanted those hairs in the middle removed. But she said there was nothing there. These hairs you can see on me from any angle, w/ or w/out make-up, etc. They are darkish and quite obvious. I just don’t understand how someone w/ so much experience could do such a bad job. I will try to find a new one. Anyone w/ any recommendations in Las Vegas please let me know. Thanks!”

Josepha:

“want to show you something. Your electrologist can use many tricks to display even more invisible hairs that you can imagine. Deflect light from the lamp so that the hair shine, hair dye if the hairs are in areas that can be hidden, apply mascara, etc.”

“If you are not getting the service you want from your current provider, try others. Most offer free consultations. Voice your concerns and find someone compatible. There is a Pore-Marker product that some electrologists use when they have trouble seeing very fine nonpigmented hairs. After treatment, it washes away with water.”

Now, I’ve tried beard dye, toppik hair fibers, hair building spray, and of course angled lighting, but the ones I use consistently is mascara, as Fino Gior recommended in a different post.

But I am interested in this pore marker product that the above posters have mentioned here on hairtell, to try for myself, to see if it’s better. Any advice? Because I have no idea what this pore-marker product is. Thanks! Other tips welcome!

Not sure about the pore-marker, but aside from the usual angled lighting tricks, you can use povidone-iodine (antiseptic) to mark the skin in small patches at a time. It can help to see the pores, but it also gives the hairs an orange tint, which makes them much easier to catch in decent lighting.

I’ve never seen such a thing advertised, I have seen brief mention years ago here. I’ve no idea where you might get it, sorry. I dont believe it was ever very common, and may not be available anymore,

1 Like

Texas Electrolysis Supply sells a follicle enhancer. It’s a liquid that you rub on the skin in the area to be treated. I find that it’s messy and doesn’t work as well once it dries. Are you looking for a marker, as in it’s shaped like a pen or writing instrument? Or are you asking about a product that can mark the follicle for better seeing it? Some use mascara, eye shadow or the follicle enhancer. I’ve never seen a literal writing marker to see hairs… Hope this helps