Pitted scars immediately after first session

Hello, I just had my first ever electrolysis session and it looks like I’ve acquired multiple pitted scars immediately after. I’ve been incredibly worried and wanted to know if you have any advice, thank you (picture attached)

These little dents and dings are NOT scars. This is a normal part of the healing process. As your skin heals, these spots will level out and fade away

I’m just extra worried because she did my upper lip for 90 minutes, which what I’ve read seems to be way too long

I do 90 minute to 2 hour full clearances on the upper lip all the time. With what I can see of the energy levels needed on your upper lip, you ave zero to worry about. It’s normal wound contraction and a temporary healing manifestation. It will all resolve 100% completely.
Seana

Okay thank you so much I’ve been extremely stressed so this helps a lot

Hi Sophia … You found Hairtell; good for you!

I wanted you to post here for a couple reasons. Mostly, because I get several emails like yours every week, and want other to chime in. Also, 1) It’s daunting to go into depth with, say, 3 or 4 clients every week on the same subject. 2) WHY aren’t electrologists clearly explaining what’s going on? And, why don’t clients usually talk to their electrologist? 3) I did a video on this subject (“Dents on the skin” … I believe), and wonder why electrologists are not referring clients to these videos? I made videos for that specific purpose: to assist fellow electrologists. FRUSTRATING!

Having spouted off a bit, I have to wonder why an electrologist would work for 90-minutes on an upper lip … especially young flawless skin? Doing that (in my opinion only) is excessive and an invitation to skin damage. However, in your case … I don’t see any lasting problems.

Also, (in my opinion ONLY) if you have “peach fuzz” that is invisible, you should not have electrolysis! I won’t do it. I refer such patients to the topical medication: Vaniqa (it works great). Indeed, there are skilled electrologists, using advanced thermolysis units, that do excellent work on “peach fuzz” (vellus hairs). I’m not denigrating their work at all. It’s just not in my “bag of tricks.” I have a 1-meter “rule.” If I can see your hairs from that distance … you’re all mine, honey!

1 Like

I am trans so I do have some mild hair growth that is dark brown, the shadow can be quite noticeable to me, but I think I will probably switch to 30 minute sessions so that I do not risk any damage.

Okay … that sounds like a very good option indeed. I always tell my trans clients to not rush the procedure. I know you want the hair gone yesterday. Just consider that you are young and will have your skin for the rest of your life … take extra care to ensure that you don’t get any lasting marks.

Note: I know who performed the work on Caitlin Jenner; if you look at photos, that were not “Photoshopped,” you will see the permanent damage; especially on the upper lip. You see, even the rich and famous screw things up! (Some day, I’ll talk about Cher.)

I too like you, have been frustrated when I have clients who have been seen by other providers and they were not given any info or the client didn’t retain the info.

I verbally give clients info, send along a paper copy of info as they leave (because I know they won’t remember everything) and e-mail the same info by email (specifically telling them to save the email) and also tell them to call right away if any issue arises. And yet they will still come to me later “Help me, Help me! What do I do?” after they waited too long to divert a disaster to contact me. Not often at all, but I tell ya after the first time they quickly realize the benefit of listening and also swift contact vs waiting if they have an issue.

So I think many times it is a coin flip on whether the provider gave good info or if the client simply didn’t retain the info. My own clients have given me the insight (test case) so as to not assume the blame belongs with other providers necessarily. No way to really know unless it’s yourself.

I also agree with the vellus hair… reminding them while they are looking at their peach fuzz in a 10 x magnifying mirror, the people around them see them 2-3 feet away and most people won’t notice or don’t care about it.

It then allows me to share a story with them how my husband lost the top part of his finger in a freak accident and how I didn’t notice for like a week after I met him, other people never notice it and after being with him for 13 years I can never remember which hand it is and if my life depended on the answer I’d probably get it wrong because I never see or even notice it in daily life unless we are at a restaurant.
Why at a restaurant? Because the injury caused his fingernail to grow up and over his finger and down the backside… so at restaurants he will tap his stubby finger on the table (which makes a very distinctive noise) being funny trying to get my attention.

Point being if vellus hair really bothers them that’s valid but I assure them that in most cases no one cares… even if they can see it because they have too!

Hi everyone, thanks for calming me down, I have BPD so my emotions can go all over the place…my skin appears to have healed pretty well after 3 months with only tiny amounts of redness where the indentations were that becomes harder and harder to see every day…Idk if anyone will see this message haha but here are some pictures for some people who have similar post treatment skin.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for taking the time to post an update :grinning: greatly appreciated :blush:

Thanks very much for your deeper explanation … bravo to you!

For those unfamiliar with BPD. Borderline personality disorder is a mental health issue that impacts the way you think and feel about yourself and others, causing problems functioning in everyday life. It includes self-image issues, difficulty managing emotions and behavior …

Looking at your photos … were you my client, I would suggest not having electrolysis! You are going to experience anguish after each treatment, because electrolysis DOES destroy tissue and the healing takes place over many months; always with “lumps and bumps.” Watching and worrying could put unnecessary stress on you. Then, of course, you MIGHT have a lingering problem that could notch this up to a significant issue.

You have tiny hairs (as per your photo). I would suggest trying VANIQA (prescription cream) that should reduce the size of your tiny hairs to near-invisible. The reduction will take several months, but there is virtually no possibility of skin damage from this medication.

Bottom line: my suggestion is to discontinue electrolysis treatments. Your own happiness is more important than a few tiny hairs. Good luck and best wishes from Uncle Mikey.

Yes I realized that after my first treatment and stopped immediately, I don’t really have any shadow so I’ll just continue shaving for the foreseeable future, thank you for the help.

Unfortunately I have a little too much experience with those with BPD, I have some PTSD from it years later from dealing with the issues of a spouse about 10 years ago. For this reason, I’m sorry, but I avoided getting involved too deeply in your post and I apologize for that.
I dont think Michael is correct. It’s very possible to have electrolysis, and BPD can be related to some other disorders that are sometimes related ( Body dysmorphic disorder is what I’m thinking of) which can make it more difficult, but if you are wise to your BPD and are working to overcome the symptoms and irrational fears that it instills in you, well, I have seen one or two clients have success despite their BPD. The reality is you will always be somewhat subjective to the disorders influence, but it is possible to overcome it enough to complete your treatments successfully.Have faith in yourself, and your ability to overcome your brains limitations.
I’m going to send a link to this post to one of my former clients in the hope that she can lend some advice. She has BPD and successfully did overcome her fears and anxiety to get through electrolysis, maybe she can give you some suggestions…

I think you’re right Seana … However, it seems (from the photo) that the client has “no visible hair.” So, I wa working with that assumption.

I can tell you pls use other methods of hair removal do not use electrolysis.honestly I destroyed my right side using electrolysis and I was in depression…the worst thing happened to me this year ,is this . Do not use it .you will left with scarring and pitted skin and dented skin too + uneven skin texture…pay attention. Electrolysis needs someone who is really exepienced and know how to deal with all kind of skins and has to avoid working in the same area alot …must avoid the side by side hair follicles to avoid denting ,pitting and scarring.

1 Like

Actually, this is not very good advice at all. There is no good reason to avaoid nearby hairs. There is good reason to use reasonable care when doing so not to overtreat the follicles in question.There are lots of excellent qualified electrologists out there who would not have caused such an issue.Generally skin condition improves, rather than degrades, through the electrolysis process.

any update sir? i am facing the same kind of issue.

Your skin healed beautifully, consider yourself lucky! Don’t fret too much about the very faint post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, as it will fade away after 6 months to a year. Continue using sunscreen.

Hypopigmentation can occur but it’s much rarer than hyperpigmentation. Hypopigmentation is more challenging to resolve.
I can’t tell if I’m seeing hypopigmentation in your photo.

1 Like