Persistent redness after electrolysis

Hello :). Sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong section, but I’ve had persistent redness on my upper lip for months after electrolysis, and I’ve read that it typically lasts for only a couple days. I’m a transgender woman, so the hair density was pretty high to start, and I’ve done at least 20 hours on just the upper lip, plus three laser sessions as well. I’m worried we might have permanently damaged my skin, but also feel like the prolonged redness could simply be due to the amount of treatment there.

Does the included picture seem like a reasonable amount of redness after about four months of weekly, hour long sessions?? Does it look like permanent damage?? I haven’t had electrolysis in that area for the last couple months, by the way, and instead have been getting laser once every six weeks or so.

Thanks in advance!

Could you please provide another photo? The existing photo is not very clear.

The initial problems you are showing are not what I would worry about as the potential lasting damage to the upper lip. “ … four months of weekly long sessions [on the lip?] every week.” How is that even possible? Here’s the potential problem that most electrologists don’t see until they have had many years (even decades) of experience.

Inflammation of treated skin lasts up to a year. Swelling is a major part of the inflammation process. So, as you are working on the upper lip (week after week), it continues to look just fine: nice and plump (from the inflammation). Finally, when you are completely done, and perhaps a year later, is when the damage appears (that was hidden by the ongoing treatments). Once finished up, electrologists almost never see what the outcome has been … a full year later. Why would they, unless the client decides to come back for a chat?

I have photographic examples of this common error. Indeed, electrologists often say, “I work many hours on the upper lip, and there is never a problem!” Of course not; they aren’t going to see it! I plan on doing a full-length video on this important subject … I can’t go into all the salient details here because I need more time, and graphic evidence, to present my case.

Nicely, I’m starting a brand new (virgin) case in a couple weeks. I have already told the client that she won’t like what I’m going to do … for the first level of treatment. However, my goal is not to just have hairless skin; it’s to have perfect skin after the completion of treatments.

Awesome, that’s great news! Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I meant I’ve been doing weekly, hour long sessions for about four or five months total. Thank you for responding so quickly though, and that all makes sense. Have a good one :).

Sorry, my camera isn’t great, but I’ll try to upload a better one soon :).

Whew! Well that did give me pause. Specific to your question; although the camera is not great. I think that you’ll have to wait until you are fully healed; but I don’t think you are going to have lasting marks … certainly not “red marks.” Best Wishes. I’m super-happy I’m staring to get “tran-clients” again … the easiest and most grateful of all clients.

Hello,
Would love to see a clearer follow up picture of your lip.

Michael is right. Weekly, hour long sessions (in total ~20 hrs) on the lip sounds like too much if it was thermolysis technique, and maybe even for blend/ galvanic technique, since the skin will not have enough time to heal in between and will soon develop a dry crinkly tissue paper feel to it instead of being supple and healthy. Sorry to say it, but laser right after electrolysis does not help either, since both damages skin but in different ways.

The redness and swelling right after treatment can last a few hours to a couple days depending on technique and setting. Especially in sunny southern California, people can get hyperinflammation (red spots) lasting for 3-4 weeks after. They can get hyperpigmentation (brown spots) lasting for up to 6 months after, or however long their sun tan/ sunburns usually lasted in the past. It’s the electrolysis (heat/ lye) damage, compounded with laser damage, compounded with sun/ UV exposure all too close together in time. I tell clients to be patient and either work on the lip for a short time with each session and spend the remaining time on the rest of the face, or space out their lip sessions by 2-4 weeks and work on other hairs in between lip sessions.

Having said that, skin is remarkably resilient and able to heal and remodel itself very well with time. You can help by using sun block, having good hydration and good nutrition, and taking vitamins.

All good and welcomed comments Catherine. Even after decades of doing upper lips, I still “sweat it out” a little. Hair on a woman’s upper lip is crucially important to remove: a mustache is a major sign of being a MALE. so, it’s gotta go!

Some of the “blame” also comes from the overly-anxious client … they want that hair off ASAP. I know you’ve worked on an upper lip, left a few hairs and had the client look in the mirror in horror and say, “you didn’t get them all.” And, severe healing problems can be multiplied when the client has her dentist inject lidocaine … and then both client and practitioner “take advantage” of the anesthetic and clear-off the whole lip.

Being an old grumpy dude, I start an upper lip case by telling the client how I will proceed … and maybe they won’t like my approach … however, I’m going to leave her upper lip in perfect condition. I may clear or thin … it depends. However, you can’t go wrong EVER if you decide to take the “thin it out” route. I say, “you’re coming to me because of my years of experience … so, let me do this the way I know it’s going to work.” There is an interesting post-treatment problem (a year of two after the completion of treatment) that I have to highlight in a video … something few electrologists ever see. I’m being lazy at the moment.

Weekly HOUR long treatments on your upper lip for months is too much stress on the skin. If you got an hour every 6 weeks, that’s a whole different story. Not good and should not happen. Let that heal well.

1 Like