Permanent vs temporary

I have been researching light based hair removal and am considering a Silkn or Tria device. I have seen a lot of complaints that neither are permanent. Is it not true that per the FDA, even the more powerful salon based machines are not rated as permanent? My understanding is that only electrolysis has an FDA rating for “permanent” hair removal.

And by that you would be correct. The studies submitted to the FDA on light based systems state that the action of the treatments tends to cause a thinning of the hair shafts, stunting of growth in others, and it is postulated that this MAY LEAD to SOME permanent hair removal. The FDA countered that based on what testing was submitted, only a legal term described as “Permanent Hair Reduction” could be claimed by Light Based Systems, because they desperately wanted to use the word Permanent somewhere in their advertising. The FDA reconfirmed that Electrolysis is still the only proven guaranteed method of hair removal.

Aside from all that, the home use systems are under powered and pose a challenge in getting any great amount of work done. They really can’t compete with full sized professional LASERs and IPL’s.