Pepper spots

Hi there! What’s the best way to remove pepper spots apart from scrubbing, which doesn’t work in my case? Can they be prevented? Thanks!

The first laser treatment is the worst. Those dead hairs get stuck in the follicle and truly do look like pepper --------SPOTS! Another term you might hear them called is tombstones. When you have another treatment, these stuck hairs will probably be burned out of the follicle. You have to be patient with permanent hair reduction - laser, (or permanent hair removal via electrolysis). There are side effects, but the good part is yet to come (if all is being done correctly).

A couple points: never use a loofah sponge to exfoliate because they are a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Use a nylon sponge and wash it well after each use.

Find an exfoliating body wash with AHA. I believe Aveeno has a product like this. Just read a bunch of labels and see what you come up with. The most expensive is not always the best.

One of our posters, ‘Benji boy’ liked loading the area with a moisturizer and letting it stay on overnight. In the morning, he would then exfoliate in the shower. It worked for him.
These ideas may help these pepperspots work their way out faster.

Whatever you do or discover to be the best way to deal with this common problem, let us know what works or doesn’t work for you. The big thing that is needed with pepperspots is patience. It is all normal and will resolve with time.

Thank you for your reply. I’ll try to find a product with AHA and see if it works. However, I don’t laser, but wax and shave. Is it normal to have pepperspots when you wax or shave?

Hi Marita,

I think it is, most people I know have them.

I assumed you were talking about laser. So sorry.

The hairs are most likely breaking off in the follicle after you wax. Are you getting full bulbs out on the strips of wax?

Sometimes I get full bulbs, but not all of the time. Is there anything I can do to prevent pepperspots?

No, because those are the bulbs left behind when the hairs break off inside the follicles, which is unavoidable when one is ripping hairs out of the skin.