pcos - help please

hey everyone
you guys seem to have a good grip on what’s going on and since i feel like i’m losing my grip hopefully someone has some advice. i’m 22. i’ve known i had pcos for about 3 years now. originally i wasn’t put on medication for it because i also have hypothyroidism and am severely overweight. instead i was put on glucophage to regulate my insulin levels, levothroid to help with my thyroid, and adipex to help bring down my weight. now, stupid me, in the past three years i have never been able to keep taking the meds on a regular basis. however at this point i’m at a bit of a do or die type of fork in the road. as i said i’m 22 and currently i can grow quite a beard. not only is this unattractive but it’s embarassing and makes for a really awkward social life. i do have unwanted hair other places but nothing like the growth on my neck. i’m sure it’s because the more i tweeze the darker the hair grows in but what else can i do? i can’t wander around school and work with a beard. i’m just not sure what to do at this point. i moved across the country two years ago. my new primary care is very cool but i still don’t really feel comfortable bringing it up with her. i know i need to get a new endocronologist. but until then i’m not sure what to do. the big problem is that when i tweeze i end up with what looks like a cross between a rash and razor burn. i use ointment to try to help it heal but it doesn’t do much. and if i don’t tweeze i could pass as the bearded lady escaped from the circus. i’m just not sure what to do anymore. i’ve gotten to the point where i’m literally in tears of it all.
thanks
kate

The important thing here is that you do something.

You should talk to your doctor. You should read up on your condition. You should start getting consultations and sample treatments from as many electrologists in your area. You should find out who the good electrologists are in your area. You should start getting consultations and sample treatments from as many electrologists as you can set up. You should also get started on your hair removal, as well as your recovery from your medical conditions as soon as possible.

Electrolysis is covered under insurance if your doctor helps you to submit it to the insurance provider.

In all of this, you have to take charge of your health. After all, who cares about your body more than you?

Although the treatment won’t be all that comfortable, your neck and area under the chin can be cleared in a short time by a good electrologist, and then only continued activity by your imbalances would require you to have ongoing treatment, but it would be seriously less treatment at much longer intervals should any be needed at all.

You could make this a distant memory in a short time if you act now.

Hey, girl. I knwo just how you feel. I am 23, never been kissed, let 2 guys I CARED about and probably could have gotten otherwise get married on me cause I was so afraid that they’d find out or … you know what I mean … having to tweeze for hours just to go to class or work … I can’t say how many times I do think of joining the circus, hehe, but I knwo this is not what I’m supposed to be … I’m supposed to be young, beautiful, happy, healthy … and I am so worth it … I have been through so much … and I’m a good person … I deserve to have some relief from something that is fixable … would be nice to at least date and socialize without worry … go on camping trips and not be mistaken for Bigfoot!!! and still not sure exactly what my condition is because I don’t currently have an endocrinologist at my disposal, but I feel your pain. I will tell you that it’s a long, hard, unfair thing to have to deal with, but if you can afford it or are covered under insurance, they TRY as hard as you can to get treatment, both medically and appearance-wise … and talk to people here so that you know it’s not just you dealing with it. I have often been unable to afford it or too young to take myself to the doc or whatever … but now that I’m older and I have my OWN insurance … you bet I am working up a plan! This hair thing takes too much time out of my day … takes uptoo many of my thoughts … takes away happiness that I shouldn’t allow it to … it’s time to kick it’s tail.

For those in the UK, here is another insurance link

NHS (UK)

Since only Electrolysis is proven permanent, insurance will only pay for Electrolysis. You are on your own with any LASER treatment you choose to persue. When you get around to electrolysis treatments, the insurance company must at least reimburse you the proven costs, if they don’t pay for them up front.

Oh Darling, i know what you mean, i have hair on my upper lip and on my chin (And oh god some on my neck)!. i am also 22 and to say the least…pissed off! I am going to take the test tomorrow, to check for PCOS, although i am sure i have it, i too couldnt be bothered to do anything about it before i noticed coarse hair!!! in the matter of 3 months it just went from peachy to dark black (my husband has less hair by the way and it kills me!). so yeah, bloody tests tomorrow, meanwhile, have had 3 sessions with my laser lady…and nothing! considering electro now…scared of pain…but who cares right…if it helps ill do it!

by the way…i thought laser removal is also permanent…how come only electrolysis??hm…

And yeah, it helps me too to see that there are women like me, who have this problem! Because, god damn it, we all have rights to at least look like women right!!!

yes, please do see an endocrinologist and get on medication. permanent hair removal will only be noticeable if you are on medication. otherwise, your body will still continue developing NEW hair, so you won’t see a big difference.

both laser and electrolysis are permanent. laser doesn’t work well on fine hair, especially on darker skin. and you need an experienced practitioner for either method to get you results. however, you do need to take control of the situation and get on medication first.