PCOS and Electrolysis - will it actually work?

Hi again,

Basically i have been searching the net for advice regarding electrolysis and PCOS and peoples experiences, and most of the posts i am reading are saying its not worth the time and money as the hair will grow back anyway because of the hormones!! My blood tests revealed mild PCOS - even though i have lots of hair :O(

Firstly i have been offered spiro - but i was under the assumption it was better to take it when you had finished electrolysis. I am finding it hard to find positive stories / before and after pics of womens facial hair removal with PCOS. If you search google or most electrolysis websites they are mainly transgender hair removal. But if you look for laser before and after on womens faces there are hundered of positive pics.

I thought this was the light at the end of the tunnel - now i am having second thoughts. Will i really be happy with the results (if i find the right electrolysist) or will i be wasting potentially hundreds of pounds. I have spent ÂŁ2000 on laser so far and that hasnt worked as well as i had expected and made it worse in some areas.

Please someone tell me it can work with PCOS, even if it does takes that bit longer than your average person.

Thanks

Electrolysis will work for any type (diameter and color) of hair growing on any color of skin - something that LASER cannot do. Plus, LASER can cause increased growth in some people. Electrolysis treats the individual hair follicle, disabling its hair growing ability.

Spironolactone should prevent increased growth and by observation appears to soften the hair that is currently growing.

Yes, electrolysis works for women with PCOS, and not necessarily taking longer than the average person.

Good Lord of course. Electrolysis will render your PCOS situation a mere nuisance. Let me give you a real-world example: A young woman with moderate to severe facial hair from, (diagnosed but untreated), PCOS. Jill M. came to me (first appointment) on April 13, 2010. She had been tweezing, of course, and the appointment was only 10 minutes. With weekly appointments, it took me until June 8, 2010 until she felt comfortable to stop shaving/tweezing. (She said she had stopped tweezing, but electrologists can tell!) At that point treatment time increased to an hour or so.

Treatment progressed exactly like the “bell curve” I explain in my book — almost to the week. Her treatment “ending” looked like this: January 17, 2011 (40 minutes). March 1, 2011 (40 minutes), April 4 (30 minutes), June 13 (20 minutes). Her total treatment time (or TTT) was exactly 15.5 hours to get to this point. Now, I expect to see her every 3 months for the next year to maintain the area (probably 15-minute treatments). After that, I’m hoping only a couple brief treatments per year will maintain the clear face.

Is she happy? Well, indeed she is! This is a beautiful young woman who will have an on-going problem. So, is the problem “solved” by two or three 15-minute treatments per year? Would you be happy with that result? The above case is a fairly typical example of what electrolysis can do for PCOS.

(I’m still trying to get her to Dr. Azizz in Los Angeles who is “the” expert in treating PCOS.) Strangely, I have found that nearly all women with PCOS are reluctant to have medical intervention. I wonder if other electrologists have also encountered this unwillingness?

1 Like

Since many doctors tell them it is “all in their heads”, or have given them prescriptions in the past that actually caused/increased the PCOS problem, many women are reluctant to go back to what they consider a tainted pool searching for good answers.

1 Like

i have the same problem,pcos on med sprinolactone for 3 months ,doing electrolysis is just waste of money ?

Here is what you need to understand in order to answer that question.

At school, they told us that the average person has 1,000 follicles per square inch. However, that does not mean one grows 1,000 hairs. Where a man may have 100, to 500 visible hairs in a square inch, a woman may have 0 to 25. A woman would certainly think she has a problem at 5 hairs per square inch, but she must understand that hormonal problems work in such a way as to recruit new follicles to start growing hair, where they never grew them before. The severity of the problem defines how long it takes for new follicles to be recruited, and how many at a time are stimulated in that term. So, until one arrests the problem that is causing the new hair recruitment, one will continuously gain new hairs.

What this has to do with electrolysis is that while we can remove the visible hairs you now have, (which took years to accumulate into a noticeable problem for most) one’s particular hair problem could be recruiting 3 new follicles to start growing hair for the first time once every 6 months. If we go back to that 1,000 hairs per square inch, thing, at 3 new hairs, every six months, it would take over 111 years to fill in that 1,000 follicle square inch patch with 1,000 hairs per square inch.

So, if you get electrolysis now, and you get clear ( a 9 to 18 month process, assuming you have full clearances each and every time) then you would only have to work on what ever new hairs come up, on the schedule that new hairs are coming in. If that is 3 hairs per square inch, per 6 months, then one would be having a 15 to 30 minute appointment, twice a year, once one got caught up to the hair growth, ASSUMING you did NOT stop what ever was causing you to continue to recruit new hairs.

Does this make sense to you?

it does but wht i want o know is that my electrolysis treatment would work with the sprinolactone ,its just very depressing ,like if this doesnt work it will ruin my life ,im serious about it .Im hoping to do 2 1/2 hours weekly for 4 months ,and then probably biweekly ,working very hard to get the money im also a student . its 75$ an hour ,i just want to make sure im not wasting money like i did on laser .