Patchy regrowth after 8 treatments: what next?

I got this note the other day:

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”> I found your website and it’s got tons of useful information. But I have more specific questions that I hope you can help me with? I’ve had about 8 treatments on my lower legs using the Palomar SPL1000 machine over the past year. While the hair has significantly decreased and become softer, there still are certain patches of hair that I would like to remove.

1. I’m thinking of going to a new treatment center where they have 3 different machines - Quantum, Aurora & Epitouch. Can you tell me how they compare to the Palomar? How effective are they and which one is best for Asian skin (not too fair, but not too dark either) with dark hair and has the best results (permanent)?

2. The hairs that are removed should not grow back after extended periods or non-treatment, right? If after 3 months there are specific areas with hair regrowth, then those are the areas that need to be re-treated? If I let more time elapse, will more hair start growing back in different areas? This treatment is permanent right?

3. Do certain hairs reach a ‘laser saturation point’ such that no matter how many treatments you go for, those hairs will not be able to absorb any more laser treatment and will never go away?

4. How long should I wait in between treatments if I’ve already had 8 treatments at the highest setting on the Palomar?

I appreciate any advice you can give and I hope that you will find some time to answer my queries. Thank you. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>1. Practitioner skill is more important than device used. Patchy regrowth is not uncommon-- many places ask you to mark areas you want treated more aggressively. The key with medium Asian skin is the pulsewidth-- you want longer pulses to avoid side effects.

1. Permanence with laser cannot be guaranteed, but you should have a sense at 3 months and a better sense at six months after treatment how you’re doing.

2. Yes, laser has a diminishing return. Each subsequent treatment is less effective, asx hairs get thinner and lighter in color.

3. Most treatment intervals are 4 to 8 weeks. Personally, after 8 treatments on an area, I’d probably get the rest with electrolysis unless it’s a ton of hair.

[ April 13, 2003, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

In would give the Aurora a try if it is a large amount of hair or more. If it’s just a small amount I would get electrolysis, either multineedle blend or thermolysis.

RJC2001