Paradoxical stimulation

Hi,

I hope everyone’s well. I just wanted to share my laser hair removal journey with everyone in case it benefits anyone.

I am Pakistani/Indian with olive skin and black hair. My first laser hair removal experience was on my face and it resulted in me growing thick black hair like a man all the way down my neck which wasn’t even being treated. I was treated with an nd yag laser. The clinic gave me lots of free laser sessions but this kept making the growth worse. Using my research from this forum I realised electrolysis was the solution and 4 years later I am now almost hair free, thankfully. It’s been a slow, painful and expensive journey but at least it has worked. My neck is quite discoloured from the scarring but thankfully it seems to be fading with time.

Now for the rest of my body. I have been getting treatments on my legs, arms, underarms and bikini line. I’ve had several sessions and the growth has definitely reduced but it’s still there. I initially started with a nd yag laser and then changed clinics to a soprano ice machine. I’m now experiencing paradoxical stimulation in random places on my body where I didn’t even know it could happen. E.g around my armpits. I now have dark thick hairs where my breasts meet my armpits and also where the top of my armpit meets my arm. Also, I previously had peach fuzz on my bum which was so fine that it never bothered me, but I’m not sure why the bikini sessions seem to have turned this into very thick dark hairs. I’m just writing this as an eye opener to people who are considering laser hair removal (particularly if they are the same ethnicity as me) as I feel like the research online makes it sound like paradoxical stimulation is rarer than it is. I know multiple people this has happened to and even my electrolysis lady told me most of her clients come in after stimulation from laser.

I’m now looking into the options I have to get rid of this. Electrolysis has worked for me in the past so I know this is possibly the best option. However I recently went to a different clinic where they use a laser called the thunder mt I believe which apparently uses Alex and nd yag wavelengths simultaneously and they said this should get rid of the stimulated growth. After my experience with laser I’m really hesitant and the last thing I want to do is make the growth worse. If anyone has any experience with this particular laser or paradoxical growth in general I would really appreciate your help. Also if I can help anyone in any way with my experience please let me know if you have any questions as this forum has been very useful for me in the past.

Hey,

I am also from India, but I am male. I am also undergoing laser hair removal for the last two years, around 13 sessions, mostly with alma soprano platinum. Now,I would like to try the ND YAG laser.

1. could you please tell me if you remembered any settings from ND YAG? is your hair very fine before the treatment with ND YAG? How many sessions did you try with ND YAG on face before trying electrolysis?

2. is the paradoxical hair growth on the body is due to Ice laser or ND YAG laser?

3. did you see any hair reduction with ND YAG on body area?
    Thank you

i forgot to say.

in my case, hair falls after 7 to 10 days after the laser session and i am hair free for a week, and then fine hair starts to grow and within three months, the hair growth is like before i had the treatment. it is continuing the same from the first treatment until the 13th session.

is it the same case with you?

Thank you so much for sharing! I’m trying to figure out if I have paradoxical hair syndrome or not. Electrolysis took care of my lip hair but then seemed to increase my chin hair. Then I tried laser (not sure what kind) and that also seemed to increase my chin hair. I am hesitant to do anything now but also don’t want to just let it stay as is. Is it paradoxical stimulation if it has stayed in the chin area or only if it spreads? Also, have you ever heard of electrolysis causing it? I think for me, it’s the plucking that they do after treating it. I want to find someone who won’t pluck the hairs after treating it with electrolysis but not sure any will agree to that. Finally, do you know if laser treatment for anti-aging can cause paradoxical hair growth? I am 47 and want to do some skin tightening but am scared it will increase facial hair. Oh, and what kind of electrolysis did you have? Thank you!!!

Hi there,

1. sorry I don’t know which settings were used on the ND yag. I don’t think they were low because it was very painful every time. I maybe had 12 sessions on my face, but I the growth on my neck started after around 4 sessions. All the laser after that point just made it worse and worse so I would advise to stop immediately if you notice this.

2. honestly I’ve noticed it from both.

3. I would say the yag laser worked better on the coarse hair on my underarms and bikini but all of it is back now so I didn’t see any permanent reduction at all.

The soprano gave me permanent results on my lower legs but didn’t seem to work anywhere else. It’s been around 6 months since my last session

Yes. It’s about the same for me but I would say the hair free period is 2 weeks maybe.

For me electrolysis definitely didn’t cause more hair at any point. I always noticed the hair getting less and less after every treatment. But it did take my a lottt of sessions which I think is quite normal for hair on the face . It’s been 4 years and I still have to go in every now and then. I’ve had other areas treated e.g toes and they were done in maybe 3/4 sessions and I’ve never needed to top up.

I think finding a good practitioner is very important though. If you feel plucking that could be making the hairs stronger instead of weakening them.

I’m not sure of the type of electrolysis. They zap each hair 2/3 times and then remove it. They use an apilus machine if that helps.

1 Like