Paradoxical hair growth

Hi, I am a 23 year old male who underwent laser hair removal on full arms. I was treated using candella Gentlase on 12J fluency (not sure of spot size). I can be identified as a skin type 3-4. After 4 laser treatments, I have started noticing more hair on my upper arm, which had just very fine hair which could be described as peach fuzz. The laser has sent these very fine hairs into a overdrive and the whole upper arm is not practically covered with thick hair. The hair on the lower arm also seems to be more than before. I am not sure how to proceed, a few researchers suggest to proceed with higher fluency and using double pass technique to reverse paradoxical hair growth, has anyone tried these techniques and methods. Although most of them suggest to proceed with electrolysis, both sides of upper arm has too much hair and it would take a very long time and money. I am confused and feel so depressed, any help regarding this issue would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

If an 18mm spot size was used, 12J is definately on the low end. An 18mm spot size was used on my beard in 1999 and the energy level was 25-30J. It hurt like hell.

If I understand your post correctly, you don’t seem to be anything close to an ideal candidate for laser. The clinic should probably not have treated you. You have light brown skin and your hair is fine or not dark. The laser treatment is going to have a minimal effect at its current fluency and spot size, though increasing the intensity of the laser will potentially have very negative effects considering your skin tone. It would not be wise to continue laser treatments at this clinic.

Electrolysis is not as expensive and time consuming as you may imagine. The key is in finding a capable electrologist who has worked extensively in treating larger areas. The results are predictably complete and permanent. You spend a certain amount of money and the hair is gone forever. If you have the same aim with laser, you will be paying for many more years and still won’t receive the results you seek.

I could be identified as having an Indian descent having course black hair on my arm. Although, the lower part of my arm had coarse black hair, the upper arm, however, had very fine (almost invisible) hair as described. The lower part of my arm now has more hair than it had before and the fine hair on the upper part has been sent into a overdrive now with too much hair. I forgot to mention that I was treated in a laser spa in Sydney, which consisted of trained nurses. I believe the low laser parameters used by them were the main cause of the induced hair growth.

1 Like

You may experience decent results with a laser more suitable to darker skin tones. As I understand it, your clinic is currently using an Alexandrite laser, which is not suitable for someone with your skin type and hair colour. They used the low parameters because they were rightly concerned that higher intensities may either harm you or cause a skin reaction that is stronger than expected. This, however, also leads to very poor results.

They should not have treated the fine hairs on your upper arm, and they should not have treated you with an Alexandrite laser. These are two errors that should not be passed over. Whether the staff were doctors, trained nurses or straight out of a beauty course, operating a cosmetic laser machine is not difficult. This goes to show that results are not guaranteed whether medical, nursing or no formal degree. As long as the person has done a course specific to the laser machines they are using, that is the most important aspect.

There are some fantastic electrologists in Australia, most of them are hidden gems, so you have to find them and sometimes travel far to see them. They are worth every cent. I would cut your losses with laser and make a plan for electrolysis.

1 Like