Palomar Sues Candela for Patent Infringement

Palomar Sues Candela for Patent Infringement
2006-08-10
BURLINGTON, Mass., Aug. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ – Palomar Medical Technologies, Inc. , a leading researcher and developer of light-based systems for cosmetic treatments, announced that yesterday it filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts against Candela Corporation for patent infringement. In this lawsuit, Palomar has accused Candela’s light-based hair removal systems, including the GentleLase and GentleYag, of infringing U.S. Patent No. 5,735,844 (“the '844 Patent”). Palomar has an exclusive license to the '844 Patent from the General Hospital Corporation in Boston, Massachusetts.

Interesting article. Palomar was already successful suing Cutera (maker of Coolglide). They have been so successful they don’t even need to come out with any new products. They can exist on their royalties.

Stories like this make me wish I had gone to law school and become a patent attorney. Tought to beat $500-600/hr.

RJC2001

Sure, make me think twice about giving up on a legal career once my internship hammered it home to me that it was not about truth, it was not about justice, but it was all about The American Way.