Painful treatment

Hi I have just had a client who found the treatment painful. I am using a Sterex machine I really needed to increase from 25 for 2 secs to30 or 35 to get a release . I used an insulated probe #3 then changed to a gold probe. I have suggested for her next visit to put EMLA anaesthetic cream on and take 2 paracetamol and be well hydrated Has any one got any suggestions for me?
Help!

I am not well informed about the Sterex machines, however with any machine/modality, the goal is to start low and move the energy up until the hair releases without traction. Sometimes a client is sensitive to the timing, other times it’s the intensity. You might have to play around with both to find a combination that works. Also, make sure you are using as large a needle as possible that will still fit in the follicle without creating an indentation at the mouth of the follicle when you insert. If you are doing flash thermolysis, I recommend an insulated probe. If it’s low-intensity manual thermolysis (timing over 1 second) or blend, stainless or a gold probe would be appropriate. Make sure you are inserting to the proper depth. When you epilate the hair with the tweezer at the skin surface, note the average distance (observe several hairs) between the tweezer to the base of the hair. If you want to get technical about it, the use of a small metric ruler scaled in millimeters can be helpful to know the precise depth.

1 Like

Thank you for the really helpful information it gets really stressful when a treatment doesn’t go to plan.
Kind regards

I use a Sterex. Based on the settings you’re already using, I would just work on insertion depth before increasing. I find that 25 for 2 seconds is generally sufficient for fine to medium hairs. Is your client already experiencing pain at this level?

Yes she is finding it painful. Do you think that I’m not going deep enough and perhaps I should go to a #4 probe to get a release?

As mentioned above, you may need to epilate some hairs and note the distance from bulb to the skin surface. I feel it’s more likely that you may be inserting too deep, but your best bet is to experiment. You can try a larger probe as well.

Of course, depending on the area, some amount of discomfort is inherent to the procedure. Some people are extremely sensitive, and you can only change your approach so much, at which point the client has to find their own pain management.

Also concentrate on your insertions. If the skin is dimpling your insertions need adjusting. You want the skin not to dimple on insertion, but if it dimples after it means you are too deep . Also you can apply an ice pack over the Emla , this can help with clients who are in discomfort.